PDA

View Full Version : Halfling bard

Harrysonford
2017-07-31, 10:14 PM
So I'm making a halfling bard, and I can't decide which subrace to use. I'm thinking either lightfoot or ghostwise.
I have two questions that might help me.
1. In SCAG it says ghostwise bond with giant owls and use them as mounts, so could I have one as a companion in game?
2. Are lightfoot halfling bards overused? I like playing unique builds and I don't want to run into a lot of people with the same build as me.
Or if anyone has any tips for this build
Thanks in advanced :)

Specter
2017-07-31, 10:26 PM
1) Not unless your DM decides to give you one.
2) Probably, but whenever you run into races that give good stats to certain classes you'll find it again. So differentiate yourself through a unique personality.

Finger6842
2017-07-31, 11:44 PM
So I'm making a halfling bard, and I can't decide which subrace to use. I'm thinking either lightfoot or ghostwise.
I have two questions that might help me.
1. In SCAG it says ghostwise bond with giant owls and use them as mounts, so could I have one as a companion in game?
2. Are lightfoot halfling bards overused? I like playing unique builds and I don't want to run into a lot of people with the same build as me.
Or if anyone has any tips for this build
Thanks in advanced :)

I'm not familiar with ghostwise Halflings but most DMs would only give pets/mounts to classes that already get them like beastmaster. Flying mounts are even more rare. I googled ghostwise and the -2 STR penalty and a 20 move speed is pretty hard to get past. Work with your DM before you choose.

I haven't seen many halfling bards because Half Elves are stronger but I see no reason not to play one. I've never seen an Aasimar or Aetherborn Bard either.

The key to building an effective Bard is taking spells and abilities that the rest of the party lack.

Naanomi
2017-08-01, 12:40 AM
I like lightfoot halflings as bards... lucky plays very well with skill classes, moving through your allies keeps you off the front lines, and being small opens up some options... take Actor feat and pretend to be a human child, amazing what that can accomplish!

lunaticfringe
2017-08-01, 06:44 AM
I'm not familiar with ghostwise Halflings but most DMs would only give pets/mounts to classes that already get them like beastmaster. Flying mounts are even more rare. I googled ghostwise and the -2 STR penalty and a 20 move speed is pretty hard to get past. Work with your DM before you choose.

I haven't seen many halfling bards because Half Elves are stronger but I see no reason not to play one. I've never seen an Aasimar or Aetherborn Bard either.

The key to building an effective Bard is taking spells and abilities that the rest of the party lack.

Lol wut? Ghostwise don't get a negative modifier & have 25ft speed. They get +1 Wis and Telepathy making them killer Moon Druids and Stealthy Lurkers if you can get Darkvision somehow. You might be getting your info from a 3rd Party Source, the official is in SCAG.

I love Halflings, Lighfoot are my favorite. Luck is awesome, Mobile is ridiculously good with them though maybe less so for a Bard. I'm the only Halfling player I know of irl but that will vary by area. Doo it, they are fun and the Racials are awesome. Either would work but Light fits the Bard stats better.

ZorroGames
2017-08-01, 07:22 AM
Bard Rogues became so common locally for a while that one local player is playing a pre-teen human (so far the AL DM has ignored the weird factor) spell caster just to be different. Or maybe he is lying to us in cahoots with the DM!

Herobizkit
2017-08-02, 05:14 AM
Telepathy is only slightly better than the Message cantrip but produces the same (mechanical) effect.

If that's all you care about, go Hairfoot, enjoy the cheese. :3

Theodoxus
2017-08-02, 07:23 AM
I'm playing a Stout bard. I picked up a level of life cleric because the group needed a cleric (this was before I read the uber healer cheese of the combo - but I'll still keep it) and I wanted medium armor and a shield while going Lore bard. Just hit level 4, and I'm loving it. Though we did use Standard Array, so I'm still rocking a 15 Chr, while the other casters have 18s in their primary stats, so my spells don't stick as often... but I typically use buffs while the other casters blast away.

Halfling is by far my favorite race. Has been since 2nd Ed and 5E just made it even better.

@Hero, ghostwise telepathy has 1 advantage over Message, as Lunatic mentioned, it's usable while wildshaped. My buddy played a land druid who used giant wolf spider form to scout ahead, along the ceiling, and he'd report back via telepathy to the group what he was sensing. We were never caught by surprise.

Jophiel
2017-08-02, 09:06 AM
A number of people dislike playing Halflings and half-elfs are mechanically superior bards so I don't think they're too overused though more common than, say, forest gnome bards. I personally feel that the bard class suits the halfling nature (at least as I see them) and am playing one now in my campaign. Also going to do the cleric dip but primarily because the rest of the group (warlock, sorcerer, ranger) can use the extra support and I enjoy the role.

Harrysonford
2017-08-03, 12:05 AM