PDA

View Full Version : Copenhagen

Ethdred
2007-08-09, 08:09 AM
For reasons too complicated to go into, I am going to be spending a day in the capital of Denmark. Anyone who knows the city recommend me where to go or what to do? I'm arriving early morning Wednesday on an all night flight I probably won't have slept on (so will need exciting stuff to keep me awake during the day) and leaving midday the Thursday. I have a low tolerance of touristy stuff, but can be persuaded if it's absolutely essential. But museums, galleries, restaurants, gigs, just plain wierdness all well received

Swedish chef
2007-08-09, 10:24 AM
The shopping street "Ströget" is full of interesting shops to look around in. And there is always Tivoli, an amusementpark. I dont know when it opens though

Sampi
2007-08-09, 10:56 AM
If you happen to like tea, there is a place you MUST go to.

The tearoom at A.C.Perchs thehandel is just fantastic - and they serve the best tea ever.

For museums, there are many - but my favourite so far has been Thorvaldsens Museum with a great collection of statuary.

Gygaxphobia
2007-08-09, 12:11 PM
I highly recommend the boat tour.
From a square by one of the quays (I know that is vague...) you can get an excellent tour around three provinces, many of the main water-ways and see some excellent buildings. The black library by the sea is great and you go past the brass statue of Bishop Absalom.

The Little Mermaid must be seen, but isn't as impressive as you might expect. Tivoli is great at night, but mainly for younger people (don't try the fair stalls, they are a con).

The Astronomer's tower is a great view and the Palace is beautiful, though it's not necessary to go inside.

Lovely place, trying to avoid seeing Hans Christian Anderson is impossible though ;)

Ceres
2007-08-09, 06:16 PM
Well, you could always visit Christiania if you're into that kind of thing... It's sort of a Scandinavian Amsterdam :smallsmile:

[Edit] But as mentioned by Miklus below, it's a big "sort of"

Miklus
2007-08-09, 06:44 PM
I have lived in copenhagen most of my life, and I always wondered why people would travel half way around the world to see a lifesize statue of a mermaid. :smallconfused:

Here are some tourist traps to avoid:
1)The little mermaid: As said, a lifesize statue hyped WAY out of proportions.

2) Amalienborg (The queens residence): Although nice and with guards in funny hats, it will keep you amused 5 minutes, tops.

3) Strøget (The main shopping street): The shops a quite expensive and there is just TO MANY PEOPLE, especially tourists.

4) Christiania: For some reason I don't understand most foreginers have heard of this place and many just can't wait to get there. Maybe they want to see the worlds last hippies or maybe they just what to buy drugs? Avoid it, it a slum, plain and simple.

Here is what I can personally recommend:
1) The channel tours are nice, I tried it under their "not just for tourists" campain. It's a sight seeing boat (a flat-bottomed pram) at takes you though most of old copenhagen. A guide will tell you in three differnet languages how old everything is and how many times it burned down. It takes about an hour and start (dock) in "Nyhavn" (you may want to write that down on a card, it can not be pronaunced correctly by non-danes and the taxi may be confused as the taxi drivers don't always speak danish well either).

2) The danish cousine can not stand up to the french or italian when it comes to dinnertime, but we are second to none in the lunch department. It's known as "Det store kolde bord" or sometimes foreginers call it "sorgasboard" or something. It's many little dishes, most on bread. You will get so stuffed, you don't want dinner anyway. Sadly, I can't recommend any good danish restaurents as I don't go there. It more fun to make your own sorgasboard at home. But this is what I would consider money well spend, please don't come all this way just to eat at Burger King.

3) TIVOLI is an amusement park smack in the middle of Copenhagen. There are rollercoasters and other fun. One of the roller coasters have loops, that should provide your kicks. The park itself is quite beautyful at night, so I recommend saving it until late in the evening. There are fireworks at midnight (I think? Maybe not every day?). It should not be TOO crowded on a weekday, but there will always be some lines and waiting at the best rides.

4) OK, museums, galleries and such...The "national museum" and the "state museum for modern art" are both Boring with a capital B. There is a privatly owned museum called "Louisiana" north of copenhagen, but it takes maybe a hour either way just to get there and you don't really have the time. Only go there is you really like art. It would furfill your requirement for "wierdness", though.

There might be one museum you'll like...if you are on this forum, maybe you like D&D? And maybe you like swords and armor and stuff? There is a museum just for that: "Tøjhusmuseet". They got swords and guns, guns with swords on them, swords with guns in them (so unfair in a duel :smallsmile: ) indian punch dagges, roman helmets ect. And a suffed knight on horse in full amour. Maybe you like it, maybe not, it's up to you. Funny, though you would think those armors where made for kids, but I guess people where just that small back then.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now, unless you write about some of your more specific interrests.

Ethdred
2007-08-10, 05:48 AM
Thanks peeps - especially Miklus, I was hoping I'd get a native on here. The wonders of the Internet. And I like being told why to avoid the usual rubbish.

The weapons museum sounds right up my street - I shall try to check that out. And I'd forgotten about smorgasbord - I shall have to check that out somewhere - beats a bacon sandwich for authenticity. I will definitely be steering clear of the Burger King etc - I really love trying out 'local' food when I go visiting somewhere. And, of course, local booze - no-one's mentioned alcohol yet. Anything other than Carslberg? (Is that Danish, I can't remember?) Any good areas where I could sit out with a beer and watch the world go by?

Oh, one other thing - I might be able to pick this up in a guidebook, but I always like to know at least the local words for please and thank you -can anyone spell them out phonetically for me? Translations for 'yes, I'd love another beer' and 'I don't understand a word you're saying, let's just make love' would also be appreciated.

Gygaxphobia
2007-08-10, 06:25 AM
And, of course, local booze - no-one's mentioned alcohol yet. Anything other than Carslberg? (Is that Danish, I can't remember?) Any good areas where I could sit out with a beer and watch the world go by?

Tuborg is soo much better, don't even mention Carlsberg. As I understand Carlsberg is to Denmark what Fosters is to Australia...

Ceres
2007-08-10, 06:28 AM
^^ Well, Danish is kind of like speaking Norwegian with a potato stuck in your throat (old Norwegian saying), but I guess I'll leave spelling it phonetically to a Dane in the Playground.

When it comes to beer, Denmark is great. Not just does it taste great, but it's legal to buy it from age 16 :smallsmile:

Carlsberg is indeed Danish, and is definately worth trying. Tuborg is another famous Danish beer. That's all I can think of right now. Have fun!

ufo
2007-08-10, 03:38 PM
I have no idea how to spell it out phonetically, but you could always write it down in case you get no more answers:

Yes = Ja
No = Nej
Please = This can be translated in quite a bit of ways, so I'll leave it.
Thanks/Thank you = Tak

Very basic, I'm sure Miklus could provide better and more presice translations.

Miklus
2007-08-10, 08:30 PM
Thanks peeps - especially Miklus, I was hoping I'd get a native on here. The wonders of the Internet. And I like being told why to avoid the usual rubbish.
You're welcome.

The weapons museum sounds right up my street - I shall try to check that out.
Ok, here's a link: http://www.thm.dk/ (only in dansih, sorry, but there's pics)
Adress: Tøjhusgade 3, København K. (They named the street after the museum, how convinient)
Open 12:00 - 16:00, entrence Kr. 40,- ($7), Wedensday free entrence!

And I'd forgotten about smorgasbord - I shall have to check that out somewhere - beats a bacon sandwich for authenticity. I will definitely be steering clear of the Burger King etc - I really love trying out 'local' food when I go visiting somewhere. And, of course, local booze - no-one's mentioned alcohol yet. Anything other than Carslberg? (Is that Danish, I can't remember?)
Any half decent smorgasbord has schnaps and beer served for drink. If you get a choise, I recommend "Rød Aalborg" schnaps and Carlsberg Classic beer. Carlsberg Classic taste a bit like Budwiser. Tuborg is good too. They are made by the same company, they make 147 kinds, they are all good.

Here is a place specialiced in danish food: "Den Danske Kro" - adress: Nørre Farimagsgade 13, 1364 København K. Open 11:30 - 21:00. Not too expensive either. I have not actually tried it myself, but it has good reviews. I'm not sure if you need reservations...probably not on a wedensday.

Any good areas where I could sit out with a beer and watch the world go by?
Oh, yes. So many places. Anywhere near a canal or pedestrian street. They usually have Tuborg, Carlsberg, Carlsberg Classic and maybe one more kind on tap. Just strool around until you see a spot you like. Tap beer can be a little expensive, but you pay for the view as well.

Oh, one other thing - I might be able to pick this up in a guidebook, but I always like to know at least the local words for please and thank you -can anyone spell them out phonetically for me? Translations for 'yes, I'd love another beer' and 'I don't understand a word you're saying, let's just make love' would also be appreciated.
Please=Tak (as in "Carlsberg Classic, tak")
Thanks=Tak
Yes, I'd love another beer = "Ja, jeg vil gerne have en øl til" or "Ja, tak" (pronaunced "Ya, tak")
I don't understand a word you're saying, let's just make love= "Mange tak"

Ethdred
2007-08-11, 08:18 AM
I don't understand a word you're saying, let's just make love= "Mange tak"

What makes me think that's not a literal transation? :)

Thanks for all the tips