PDA

View Full Version : [Cypher System] Adapting Cypher for a Call of Cthulhu game

Zedicius
2017-08-01, 01:11 AM
I'm preparing a Delta Green esque campaign. I intend to use the Cypher system, as I like it's flexibility and ease of use, though I feel that it is a little bit too forgiving for players. Call of Cthulhu games are meant to be harsh, gradually wearing characters down and punishing reckless behavior. Note that the Cypher Rulebook does contain a few 'shock' and 'insanity' rules, although except for the one where you permanently lower a character's intellect pool to represent insanity, I'm not terribly keen on those. Therefor I have created a few house rules to make things more difficult;

1) No spending XP to reroll dice.

2) Trauma Rules

Health follows the normal Cypher System rules, however people are somewhat more fragile and generally can't continuously take damage without long term problems. Thus, taking certain amounts of damage to either your might or your speed pool requires a Might test. If the test fails, additional effects are applied. The level of the effect is the same as the damage taken.

6-7 damage, Stunned: Unable to act for one round.
8-9 damage, Grievously wounded: Broken leg, bleeding wound, etc. All actions are one step more difficult. This effect doesn't go away until either proper medical care is applied, or the character has had 10 hours of rest (depending on the type of injury).
10+ damage, Permanent injury: Limp, Missing limb, etc. All actions become two steps more difficult to perform. This effect doesn't go away until either proper medical care is applied. The character gains an inability as a result of their injury.

3) Sanity & Insanity rules

Witnessing certain monsters, horrible scenes or traumatic events can be just as damaging do the pshyche as physical wounds are to the body. Similar rules like Trauma apply when taking damage to your intellect pool, only an Intellect test is required instead. Instead of applying effects however, the kind of event determines the level of the test and the amount of intellect lost on a fail. An exception to the rule are monsters; in this case use the monster's level instead.

1-4, No effect.
4-6, Shock, Unable to act for one round
6-10, Temporary insanity
10+, Indefinite insanity

(For these I have a couple of tables with insanity effects)

What do you guys think? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

CarpeGuitarrem
2017-08-01, 07:10 AM
This is somewhat of a side thought, but you might find Trail of Cthulhu to be of interest. It's a Cthulhu game that runs on the GUMSHOE system, which was a pretty obvious inspiration for the Cypher System.