PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Monk build Help

Divided181
2017-08-01, 03:48 AM
Wanted to see if anyone had any advise on how to build a good monk for a campaign that my group is about to run.

Current books are going to be Core rules + Complete adventure, Complete Warrior, Complete Scoundrel, and Players Handbook 2. I've also got the DM to agree to let me use Fist of the Forest from Complete Champion but its not a PrC that I'm set on using just an option. The character I'm trying to build is going to incorporate the Drunken Master PrC. Going for a drunken Irishman that loves to get into brawls. the Campaign setting will be 17th century England type area where magic has been forgotten(kind of like the new Netflix film Bright but in a medieval setting). We are starting out at level 4, but the biggest thing that is holding me up with a good build is that this campaign will have zero magic. This includes magic items.

Dancingdeath
2017-08-01, 03:52 AM
This may be the perfect spot for a Vow of Poverty Monk if you can talk your DM into it. Too bad that doesn't fit the theme you're going for at all. The variant VoP from these very boards though. Not as written in BoED.

Eldariel
2017-08-01, 04:38 AM
It's a bit of a pickle since FotF wants full BAB to enter on level 5 but Drunken Master needs Flurry of Blows to enter on level 6. Other than that, the two work decently well together. Either way, (Ex-)Monk 2/Barbarian 3/Drunken Master is fine. Ex because you're a drunken brawler, not an ascetic, and thus switch alignment. Pick the SRD-stuff (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantClasses.htm) for Wolf-Totem and Whirling Frenzy and go from there. Could add Fighter 1 and pick up Extra Rage for more consistent rage use.

mabriss lethe
2017-08-01, 08:29 AM
No magic does make it difficult. Quick question: Will you be allowed to keep the monk's various supernatural /sla class abilities or are they being removed for the sake of "no magic"?

Gruftzwerg
2017-08-01, 10:18 AM
FotF is a nice 3lvl PRC that is good for all those who try to max unarmed strike dmg.

Drunken Master is a bit iffy. I would only recommend the first 2 lvls, cause everything else ain't worth it and just cripples your monk abilities (no progress for unarmed dmg, movement speed, AC, flurry..). But the Stagger ability you get at 2nd lvl is pure gold for charge/pounce builds. Stagger lets your freely change directions while charging. So get Pounce via Barb 1 ACF dip and have fun pouncing every turn for charge multiplier. Imho you get everything important from the 2lvls: Drink-like-a-daemon & Stagger.

Have a look at my clawlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518880-Almighty-Claw-of-Malar-(v2-0)-a-monk-warlock-gish)build for some inspiration how to push your dmg (via charge multipliers). It builds on Drunken Master 2 / FotF 1 for fluff and combat power.
Take the parts that you like/are allowed and fit it into your build.

Divided181
2017-08-01, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the input, and to answer the question about magical type abilities my dm is pretty laid back so the campaign is no magic but if we have a way to kinda make an ability fit the theme we can run them as more of a supernatural ability, kind of like saying haste is an adrenaline rush rather then a spell.

Dancingdeath
2017-08-01, 08:16 PM
I came up with an idea that you may like for a Monk once. It was a VoP Monk in a low magic setting so it wasnt losing much from the vow or class wise. It was a tiger lycanthrope who stayed in hybrid form all the time. Focused on tiger style kung fu. Used the Oriental Adventures book for some flavor. Had a real ancient world martial artist vibe to it. Just a thought.

ATHATH
2017-08-02, 12:09 PM
Will your DM let you use stuff from the Tome of Battle? If so, an Unarmed Swordsage (a variant on the normal Swordsage that trades light armor proficiency for the unarmed damage of a Monk of your Swordsage level) might work nicely for you.

Deeds
2017-08-02, 02:46 PM
Are you ok with being a drunken master without taking the PRC drunken master? If you simply like the flavor of being an inebriated savant you can skip the PRC and save yourself the 2 feats required.