PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder ...I thought "cannibalism" was Evil?

SangoProduction
2017-08-01, 04:06 AM
So, Aasimars have a racial feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/supernal-feast) that allows them to devour Good Outsider corpses for temporary HP...and gain temporary HP from bathing in their gore.

Am I the only one who sees this as a little...off? I mean, maybe it would make sense for an Orc-type character, but an Aasimar? Even ignoring that I believe it was mentioned somewhere that consuming an intelligent creature's body is an evil act. (Which, let's face it, could well be debatable, and highly circumstantially driven.)

Manyasone
2017-08-01, 04:10 AM
Being an aasimar does not mean being hardwired to be good

Florian
2017-08-01, 06:06 AM
Am I the only one who sees this as a little...off?

No, not really. How the default setting works and what a lot of the races represent, I donīt see any "evil" in cannibalism, be it out of necessity, ritual or spiritual. (The "Flesh Farms" are evil, tho)

Palanan
2017-08-01, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by SangoProduction
Am I the only one who sees this as a little...off?

I'd never heard of this, but it strikes me as being very, very off.

It's a fair point that aasimars can be any alignment, and the Advanced Race Guide specifically mentions those who "fall into an unfathomable abyss of depravity." This feat apparently caters to that minority.

Geddy2112
2017-08-01, 09:27 AM
Cannibalism can be evil, but is not always the case. However, eating good outsiders for HP and bathing in their blood is probably not going to fall into cases where it is a good act.

To echo sentiments above, not all Aasimar's have to be good.

Psyren
2017-08-01, 09:30 AM
I think it's intended to be a (much. much more literal than usual) take on the Eucharist.

legomaster00156
2017-08-01, 10:39 AM
Pretty sure the feat is very much intended for evil aasimar.

Florian
2017-08-01, 11:11 AM
I think it's intended to be a (much. much more literal than usual) take on the Eucharist.

Considering that outsiders consist of pure soul stuff, sure.

Noteworthy that thereīs a demon-hunter based barbarian archetype that can rip out vital organs and consume them for additional power.

AuraTwilight
2017-08-01, 11:23 AM
"This is my blood and this is my body. Partake."

Bohandas
2017-08-01, 11:37 AM

Like in the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Forever episode where Shake becomes religious.

EDIT:
Eat of my flesh and drink of my blood, for I am so high that I know not what I do (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924am1tlBYU)

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-01, 12:30 PM
So you can't imagine an aasimar being that evil and depraved, but it's fine if it's an orc? That's racist.

Ellrin
2017-08-01, 01:32 PM
Lizardfolk tribes almost universally practice cannibalism as a matter of practicality, and lizardfolk tend towards neutrality (on both axes).