PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Donaldson ish D&D world (3.5)

Starshade
2017-08-01, 05:22 AM
I was Reading a book in the third Thomas Covenant series, and realized I could emulate the "Seven Wards" of lore, by making each Level of arcane Magic, depend upon a "lore".
I though to make first Level of spells available, and the players would need approval of an society to learn second Level spells. Higher Levels, is not available unless they earn it. Third might exist, forth perhaps in scrolls in Tombs, and seventh Level, maybe Close to impossible to find, etc.
Divine Magic would be available, but too restricted a bit maybe, a bit unsure on that. But the question, would this actually work?
Players could just fill the slots with hasted, twinned spells in all slots, if they want. And if arcane casters is rare, but core player classes, magical items is maybe unavailable. +1 Magic swords would be an heirloom for a King, etc. So the utility of arcane Magic, would probably be greater, since there is so little Magic there.
Issues? thoughts? :smallsmile:

Dancingdeath
2017-08-01, 06:01 AM
It would work. It feels incredibly restrictive but it'd work. You'd need to be careful to limit monsters abilities in a simular fashion or the party will feel cheated and get pounded by all the magic using baddies.