PDA

View Full Version : Roughly Human Shaped Animals

Wristlet Eater
2017-08-01, 06:59 AM
I was just wondering what kinds of animals I could put Disguise Self on to look like humans, ignoring that animals can't cast Disguise Self.

So far I have
-Baboon
-Ape (giant human)
-Bear
-Some Dinosaurs (will look hunchbacked)

I am only concerned with animals that have official 3.5 stats.

Kaleph
2017-08-01, 07:27 AM
Many medium-sized SS anthropomorphic animals. Legendary ape from MM2, dire ape from MM and any other primate...

EDIT: the SS creatures aren't of the animal type, so if you're looking at, say, a druid's animal companion they won't work.

Celestia
2017-08-01, 08:05 AM
Bears. Lots of bears.

Inevitability
2017-08-01, 08:22 AM
Kangaroos, perhaps?

Celestia
2017-08-01, 08:56 AM
Kangaroos, perhaps?
No. People will see through the disguise as soon as they realize that it never moves backwards.

Inevitability
2017-08-01, 09:03 AM
No. People will see through the disguise as soon as they realize that it never moves backwards.

That's not always going to be noticed, though. If you just want to move through a city without being stared at for having a zoo following you, it's unlikely somebody will be actively trying to determine whether your companions are actually human, let alone by specifically trying to determine whether they move backward or not.

I see people in situations where they don't move back all the time; doesn't mean I immediately think something is wrong.

Maaaaaybe they'd get noticed if there's continuous over a period of several days, but even that is doubtful.

Celestia
2017-08-01, 09:22 AM
That's not always going to be noticed, though. If you just want to move through a city without being stared at for having a zoo following you, it's unlikely somebody will be actively trying to determine whether your companions are actually human, let alone by specifically trying to determine whether they move backward or not.

I see people in situations where they don't move back all the time; doesn't mean I immediately think something is wrong.

Maaaaaybe they'd get noticed if there's continuous over a period of several days, but even that is doubtful.
Yeah. I was being intentionally absurd for the sake of comedy.

Gildedragon
2017-08-01, 09:38 AM
Giant raccoons

Inevitability
2017-08-01, 09:48 AM
Giant raccoons

Ever read Deathworlders? :smalltongue:

Yeah. I was being intentionally absurd for the sake of comedy.

Ah, I see. Once more I realize sarcasm doesn't travel well over the internet.

DRD1812
2017-08-01, 10:19 AM
Are we talking 3.5 or Pathfinder? Because the two have a very important distinction:

3.5: You cannot change your body type.

Pathfinder: You cannot change your creature type

Any reasonable Pathfinder GM will ignore the animals / humanoids issue for this purpose, but I thought it deserved some attention.

As for your actual question, I'd throw dinosaurs out there. A raptor in a trench coat sounds at least vaguely feasible.

VoxRationis
2017-08-01, 11:11 AM
As for your actual question, I'd throw dinosaurs out there. A raptor in a trench coat sounds at least vaguely feasible.

A raptor in a trench coat? You know that raptor don't stand up like robins, right? They're balanced based on having their body horizontally, and at least half their length is tail. People will see, at best, a hunchback, and they'll be making disbelief checks constantly when they get hit by an invisible tail or see all the china knocked off the shelf.

DrMotives
2017-08-01, 05:43 PM
A miniature giant ground sloth?

Gildedragon
2017-08-02, 06:59 AM
Ever read Deathworlders? :smalltongue:

Nope. Ought I? Does it have a stack of raccoons trying to pass off as human?

Inevitability
2017-08-02, 07:06 AM
Nope. Ought I? Does it have a stack of raccoons trying to pass off as human?

I'm afraid not. It's got humanoid raccoon-like aliens, though.

DRD1812
2017-08-02, 05:10 PM
A raptor in a trench coat? You know that raptor don't stand up like robins, right? They're balanced based on having their body horizontally, and at least half their length is tail. People will see, at best, a hunchback, and they'll be making disbelief checks constantly when they get hit by an invisible tail or see all the china knocked off the shelf.

Are you saying that Dinosaucers has been lying to me all these years?

https://www.watchcartoononline.io/thumbs/Dinosaucers-Episode-52-Those-Reptilon-Nights.jpg

Wristlet Eater
2017-08-02, 08:59 PM
Are we talking 3.5 or Pathfinder? Because the two have a very important distinction:

3.5: You cannot change your body type.

Pathfinder: You cannot change your creature type

Any reasonable Pathfinder GM will ignore the animals / humanoids issue for this purpose, but I thought it deserved some attention.

It is 3.5, otherwise I would not ask a question that only makes sense in 3.5.

DrKerosene
2017-08-05, 07:31 AM
Well, Aberration Wildshape might open up some options, if you don't mind the feat tax.

ericgrau
2017-08-05, 09:30 AM
ignoring that animals can't cast Disguise Self.
As you should, because there are plenty of easy ways around this. For example a hat of disguise. Also I like the thought of an animal with a hat or hair ribbon whenever the disguise is not in use.

Wristlet Eater
2017-08-05, 10:36 AM
As you should, because there are plenty of easy ways around this. For example a hat of disguise. Also I like the thought of an animal with a hat or hair ribbon whenever the disguise is not in use.

Still, with that there's a problem of how to make the animal control the hat. I'm sure there's other ways but for now I am just concerned with the list of suitable animals.

Celestia
2017-08-05, 05:54 PM
Make the hat of disguise look like a fedora and put it on a 5 foot tall bipedal turtle with a trench coat. *nods*

Ashtagon
2017-08-06, 09:54 AM

In that case we should remove bears. People might notice them dropping on all fours when running and maybe even when walking.