PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Endermen Race

JNAProductions
2017-08-01, 11:35 AM
Ability Score Increase-Any one mental stat increases by 2. Endermen are masters of the mind, in various ways.

Age-Endermen don't really age, per se. They just kinda... Exist. And then eventually, stop existing. Usually around the millennium mark.

Size-Despite being really damn tall (up to three meters tall) your spindly gait and lack of meat makes you Medium. Just a tall Medium.

Speed-Luckily, your spindly gait and long legs give you fast speed. You move at 35' per round.

Darkvision-60', as per normal. Your home is an endless void of night, you kinda need it.

Innate Casting-You know the Move cantrip. At level 3, you may cast Misty Step once per long rest, and at level 5, you may cast Slow or Haste once per long rest. Your casting stat is any one mental stat (typically the stat that you chose to increase).

Conjuration Cantrip

Casting Time 1 Action
Range Self
Components None
Duration Instantaneous

You immediately teleport 5' to a space you can see. At level 5, you may teleport up to 10', 15' at level 11, and 20' at level 17.

Move requires great concentration, though-if you are in a strenuous situation, such as in an active grapple, you must make a Concentration save (as opposed by environmental factors, if appropriate, or your grappler's Athletics check, if in a grapple) to successfully cast Move.
If you fail, your action is wasted.

Languages-You know Common and Ender. Ender is a strange language, that is hard to hear for non-Endermen.

Subraces

Strongerman

Ability Score Increase-Your Strength increases by 1.

Blistering Blows-Once per short rest, you may add your proficiency bonus to all melee weapon damage rolls you make for one round. This costs no action.

Teleport Strike-If you teleport as an action, you may make a single melee attack as a bonus action.

Tougherman

Ability Score Increase-Your Constitution increases by 1.

Toughness-You gain on extra HP per level.

Starmantle-Once per short rest, as an action, you may give yourself a mantle of stars. This lasts for one round, grants resistance to all damage, and whenever you are struck for damage, the attacker (if they are within line of sight) immediately takes 1d4+1 force damage. This increases to 2d4+2 at level 5, 3d4+3 at level 11, and 4d4+4 at level 17.

Fasterman

Ability Score Increase-Your Dexterity increases by 1.

Lightning Reflexes-You have proficiency in Initiative checks.

Fleet Of Foot-Dashing triples your move speed, rather than doubling it.

So, I'm really uncertain on the balance of Move. Suggestions on how to make it more fair?

clash
2017-08-01, 01:23 PM
No comment on the race as of yet, but with regards to Move:

It should limit it to an "to an unoccupied space that you can see. "

If the intent of the concentration conditional is to prevent abuse when escaping grapples and similiar, I would just add a condition that Movement impairing effects that set your speed to 0 prevent using the cantrip.

JNAProductions
2017-08-01, 05:22 PM
No comment on the race as of yet, but with regards to Move:

It should limit it to an "to an unoccupied space that you can see. "

If the intent of the concentration conditional is to prevent abuse when escaping grapples and similiar, I would just add a condition that Movement impairing effects that set your speed to 0 prevent using the cantrip.

I don't mind allowing it to be used to escape a grapple-I just don't want it to be an AUTO-escape.

And yeah, I'll add a line about LoS needed.

JBPuffin
2017-08-01, 11:08 PM
You know, I was just thinking about catnip teleportation, and this seems pretty balanced. I think Strongerman's probably better than Tougher or Faster because of that TP-Melee ability, but I could be wrong.

JNAProductions
2017-08-01, 11:09 PM
You know, I was just thinking about catnip teleportation, and this seems pretty balanced. I think Strongerman's probably better than Tougher or Faster because of that TP-Melee ability, but I could be wrong.

Not really? It's a single melee attack, so for any competent melee character, you'll see serious dropping returns starting at level 5.

It's a nice ability, but I'd honestly rate it lower than, say, extra HP.

JBPuffin
2017-08-02, 12:03 AM
Not really? It's a single melee attack, so for any competent melee character, you'll see serious dropping returns starting at level 5.

Fair...what about Faster? Both of its abilities seem less synergistic/commonly applicable.

JNAProductions
2017-08-02, 10:50 AM
Fair...what about Faster? Both of its abilities seem less synergistic/commonly applicable.

Any ideas on what to add to it?

JBPuffin
2017-08-02, 11:50 AM
That's a great question...maybe proficiency with initiative? Would certainly cement them as fast. At that point, the hiding thing might be not be necessary - they go first, run headlong at you, and go to town, kind of like they do in the video games. And I mean, an Enderman Rogue with that setup...pardon the drool.

JNAProductions
2017-08-02, 11:53 AM
That's a great question...maybe proficiency with initiative? Would certainly cement them as fast. At that point, the hiding thing might be not be necessary - they go first, run headlong at you, and go to town, kind of like they do in the video games. And I mean, an Enderman Rogue with that setup...pardon the drool.

I like that idea! Added it in place of the hiding thing.

Mangles
2017-08-02, 11:23 PM
This is pretty solid. Missing Water Susceptibility but besides that it is good. Taken directly from the fire elemental

Water Susceptibility: For every 5 ft. the elemental moves in water, or for every gallon of water splashed on it, it takes 1 cold damage.

JNAProductions
2017-08-03, 11:54 AM
This is pretty solid. Missing Water Susceptibility but besides that it is good. Taken directly from the fire elemental

Water Susceptibility: For every 5 ft. the elemental moves in water, or for every gallon of water splashed on it, it takes 1 cold damage.

That was an unintentional oversight, but I think I'll keep it removed. In the same way I didn't keep the mindless, bestial nature of Gaunts when I made them, I don't want to close off too many options with these guys.

Ziegander
2017-08-03, 12:15 PM
Starmantle is cool, but feels a little wonky. An action to halve all damage you take for 1 round is okay, and force damage to a melee attacker is neat, but I can't help but think that almost any class will have a better use of their action than this in virtually any situation. It shines if you're surrounded, obviously, but that doesn't happen very often.

Maybe... have it last until you take damage and allow it to deal its force damage at range? Maybe within a limited range? 90ft? 120?

Morphic tide
2017-08-03, 12:41 PM

...Sneak Attack is a single attack. Rogue is, in fact, built with the assumption of making a single attack each round.

Also, the subraces don't specify what they trade away, or what they keep.

JBPuffin
2017-08-03, 01:16 PM
...Sneak Attack is a single attack. Rogue is, in fact, built with the assumption of making a single attack each round.

Also, the subraces don't specify what they trade away, or what they keep.

Trade away? Each subrace has two features and an ability score increase demarcated by the title of the next subrace.

You also caught why I thought that ability was so nifty; Rogues do lose Cunning Action if they want to teleport+attack, but in exchange they get a movement variant without losing their attack...if they're Stronger Endermen, that is. I'd pick Faster for a rogue simply because 3x Dash Speed is sooo much speed in conjunction with 35' and teleport. You can practically go anywhere with that.

Hey JNA, would you mind if I put that cantrip on a few spell lists? It's a perfect fit for some of the classes I've made.

JNAProductions
2021-05-09, 09:30 PM
Trade away? Each subrace has two features and an ability score increase demarcated by the title of the next subrace.

You also caught why I thought that ability was so nifty; Rogues do lose Cunning Action if they want to teleport+attack, but in exchange they get a movement variant without losing their attack...if they're Stronger Endermen, that is. I'd pick Faster for a rogue simply because 3x Dash Speed is sooo much speed in conjunction with 35' and teleport. You can practically go anywhere with that.

Hey JNA, would you mind if I put that cantrip on a few spell lists? It's a perfect fit for some of the classes I've made.

Go for it! Feel free to use my brew-that's what it's there for. :)

Speaking of which, Imma redo this race, though I'm actually pretty happy with how I did it before.

Endermen
An endless void of starry skies is all that's in their eyes.

Ability Score Increase
Endermen are cunning and bright. Your Intelligence score increases by 2.

With Tasha's, I feel a lot comfortable settling this in. So it's really just +2/+1 with the Subrace ASI, but it locks in flavor a little more.

Endermen suffer no deficiencies from age, nor do they have a youth. They appear on moonless nights, fully formed, and eventually, they disappear. This is not tied to an Enderman's actual life-if they die, their body remains for exactly as long as it would've stayed if they were alive. As such, Endermen are immune to any age-related spells or afflictions.

Just a bit of flavor, really.

Size
Endermen are tall-most are just shy of ten feet. However, owing to a thin frame, your size is still Medium.

Not worth the hassle of making them large.

Speed
Endermen are fast. You have a walking speed of 35'.

A nice little boost to speed.

Innate Casting
You know the Move Cantrip. At level three, you may cast Misty Step once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Similar, but weaker than before. Didn't feel Haste/Slow was really that thematic.

Languages
You speak Common and Primordial.

Existing languages barely get used. New languages are even less likely to see play.

And yes, I removed Darkvision. Because The End (in Minecraft) is well-lit, actually.

Strongerman

Ability Score Increase
Some Endermen are unnaturally strong. Your Strength score increases by 2.

Decided a little less features, a little more stats.

Teleport Strike
On any turn you teleport, you may make a single melee attack as a bonus action.

Minor buff here-now if you can teleport from a friend or something, you get an extra attack. Not a huge deal, but it's there!

Fasterman

Ability Score Increase
Some Endermen are unnaturally fast and agile. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.

As above, so below.

Fleet Of Foot
When you take the Dash action, you may increase your movement by an additional amount equal to your speed. You can gain this benefit only once per turn.

Cleaned this up, mostly.

Tougherman

Ability Score Increase
Some Endermen are unnaturally tough. Your Constitution score increases by 2.

Third verse, same as the first.

Supernatural Toughness
You gain one additional HP every level.

No need to fix what ain't broke.