PDA

View Full Version : Magic items getting confusing

bovinelightfoot
2017-08-01, 11:42 AM
Ok so i am still a fairly green dm. Playing modules to make it easy but the magic item drops so far have sucked for everyone but my fighter. So i need to make it better for the hunter, druid, artificer and warlock in my group. But my first attempt didnt work. Had to have the item stolen because it was broken basically gave a lvl 4 hunter like 4d6 damage a turn somehow. So how do you guys keep the magical items in line but still keep them flowing. Is there a chart online i can look into for level

nickl_2000
2017-08-01, 11:51 AM
The easiest way I have found it to create custom magic items that provide a benefit without helping that much.

A Greatsword that once a day will allow you to to 1dx extra necrotic damage and gain the same number of temporary HP. It helps out the PC, gives them additional resources, but the extra damage is negligible.

Also, single use magic items are great for the same reason. THey may have a super powered effect, but only once.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-01, 12:31 PM
I like using the Sane Magic Item Prices (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices) guide by Saidoro for starters, then comparing prices to the standard +1-3 items.

By level 5, I want any weapon user to have a +1 equivalent weapon, and no player to have more than 3 permanent items total. So I set a budget of 3,000 gp for each player and plan accordingly.

By level 10, I want any weapon user to have a +2 equivalent weapon, and no player to have more than 6 permanent items total that they didn't have in the previous tier. My budget per player is 12,000 gp.

By level 15, I want any weapon user to have a +3 equivalent weapon, and no player to have more than 7 permanent items total, including the level 11 tier. My budget per player is 40,000 gp.

By level 17, I will figure out the super magic item unique to each player. This has no budget constraints. It will be a single permanent item, and something like a robe of the archmagi, a holy avenger, a cloak of invisibility, or some other item that would be frankly game breaking any earlier than this.

These are the rules I've used for what I'd consider a stereotypical D&D game. You could constrain budgets/total items to make magic items more rare, and you could extrapolate both of them if you'd prefer a monty haul-style game. If you do the latter, you may want to act like the entire party is one level higher than normal for the purposes of difficulty. And make sure you set serious limits on how expensive anything you give them is, according to level.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-01, 12:31 PM
Sorry if this is obvious, but DM's Guide Page 135 & charts starting on Page 144. They're guidelines for value of treasure and potency of magic items to give in random treasure.

Give only 'consumable' stuff at first, of 'Common' or 'Uncommon' rarity. Like, 'Dust of Disappearance', potions, scrolls, things like that. For scrolls, give them spells that are ones they don't normally memorize. That will encourage them to learn more of the game.

If a magic item isn't consumable, give only 'Common' ones until 5th level or you get a better feel for the game. There are a few 'Uncommon' ones that work, (like 'Boots of Striding and Springing') but be careful.

Don't give any weapon or armor higher than +1 for a while.

Try to give items that do things outside of combat. Like, 'Decanter of Endless Water' is fun. It can give them ideas to do things that are clever ('we're trapped in a 20' pit, let's add 5' deep of water in the bottom so if we fall trying to climb out it won't hurt so much!') or encourage neat role-playing ('after dark in the drought-stricken town, we sneak into the public water reservoir and fill it to the brim').

Does that help?

Emay Ecks
2017-08-01, 02:35 PM
I usually give my players very situational, cursed, or niche magical items. These are usually homebrewed, but the players love them and they keep things fair.

Right now in my game the players (level 3) have:

-Cloak of disguise: A cloak that can cast disguise self with a 24 hour duration once a day (nerfed hat of disguise). It also makes the bearer unremarkable (+10 to stealth checks when in large crowds)
-Greataxe of Fury: Functions as a +1 greataxe only while raging.
-Staff of Destruction: Wooden staff that deals double damage to structures/objects. It can cast Knock once a day (flavored as blowing the door/lock off it's hinges). It also forces the wielder to make wisdom saves to resist casting the knock on the first locked object they come across each day.
-Charging Helm: For every 15 feet you move in a single direction on your turn, you deal 1d6 extra damage on your first attack made using the attack action.

I'm about to give our ranger a Sniper's Bow: This bow has 3 charges that refresh daily. After rolling but before determining if you scored a hit, you may expend 1 charge to add 1d10 to your roll. After scoring a hit but before rolling damage, you may expend 1 charge to add 1d10 to damage. You may not expend a charge on a critical hit.

None of these items break the game because they can't be used frequently. In fact, most have a very limited window of use. Making magic items that can't be used every turn makes your players feel special, but doesn't overpower them too quickly.

bovinelightfoot
2017-08-01, 02:54 PM
Thanks all of these have been super helpful. I think i have a better handle on it. Luckly i play with a group of good friends so i pretty much explained to way op and he understood so

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-01, 03:20 PM
Ok so i am still a fairly green dm. Playing modules to make it easy but the magic item drops so far have sucked for everyone but my fighter. So i need to make it better for the hunter, druid, artificer and warlock in my group. But my first attempt didnt work. Had to have the item stolen because it was broken basically gave a lvl 4 hunter like 4d6 damage a turn somehow. So how do you guys keep the magical items in line but still keep them flowing. Is there a chart online i can look into for level

If you are new to this, don't beat yourself up. There will be a learning process for you.

Rules of thumb:
1) It is easier to give than to take away. It can cause resentment to take away and item. Especially an overpowered item.
2) it is more fun for the players to be underpowered than overpowered in the long run. LSE types will disagree.
3) one shot or limited shot items are a good way to test something new. Potions, wands, rods, staves but NOT SCROLLS. The item gets used as a test and is eventually gone. Then you can learn what is what about it. The reason not on scrolls is you don't want mages getting the spell in their spell book until you have proven it.
These are an ok start.

Jophiel
2017-08-01, 03:20 PM
http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/

This site was previously linked in another thread but is a good source for creating minor magical items with narrow uses (or getting inspiration for your own). Nice for rewarding the characters with something quirky after an adventure without disrupting balance.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-01, 03:43 PM
Id put the stick of poking or the nalfeshne chefs hat.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-01, 04:08 PM
NOT SCROLLS... The reason not on scrolls is you don't want mages getting the spell in their spell book until you have proven it.

Ugh, nice catch. I feel dumb for missing that.

Hell, 'house rule' scrolls to be an item that is one-use with the same effect.

So, 'Animal Friendship' is a small packet covered in magical symbols that, when you tear it open, has just the right food to make the animal you want to charm come up and eat out of your hand.

Same effect, different flavor, and not able to be copied into a spell book.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-01, 04:14 PM

So, 'Animal Friendship' is a small packet covered in magical symbols that, when you tear it open, has just the right food to make the animal you want to charm come up and eat out of your hand.

Or, conversely, give scrolls out for spells the wizard already has.

It's generally a good idea to give wizards a handful of scrolls to learn new spells from as well, just make sure you don't go overboard with it. Wizards already have unparalleled utility, and while they'll be giddy to learn even extremely niche spells from scrolls from time to time, they don't need much help in the power department.

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-01, 04:42 PM

That can work.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-01, 04:58 PM
Wands are good for a consumable version of a spell that isn't a scroll that can be copied. However, players expect wands to have multiple charges.

Here's something you can use: Sphere of <spell>: as an action, crush this sphere to cast the spell at <DC>.

It's also fun to reward players with empty ones they can fill with their own spells.

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-01, 10:14 PM
Wands are good for a consumable version of a spell that isn't a scroll that can be copied. However, players expect wands to have multiple charges.

Here's something you can use: Sphere of <spell>: as an action, crush this sphere to cast the spell at <DC>.

It's also fun to reward players with empty ones they can fill with their own spells.

There is nothing that says it has to be a full wand. It only needs enough charges to demonstrate if it is viable.

They can expect whatever they want. They use that last charge and the wand turns to dust............hahaha

Easy_Lee
2017-08-01, 11:11 PM
There is nothing that says it has to be a full wand. It only needs enough charges to demonstrate if it is viable.

They can expect whatever they want. They use that last charge and the wand turns to dust............hahaha

I prefer not to toy with players' expectations like that. It tends to break player trust. Once the players don't trust the DM anymore, you end up with a paranoid party who slow the game down double-checking everything, and tend to miss obvious clues in their mistrust.

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-03, 01:01 AM
I prefer not to toy with players' expectations like that. It tends to break player trust. Once the players don't trust the DM anymore, you end up with a paranoid party who slow the game down double-checking everything, and tend to miss obvious clues in their mistrust.

1st ed dmg: Note that a rod, staff or wand completely drained will become forever useless, crumbling to powder as its last charge is expended.
Trust that you will be tested and things will be unexpected. Expect them to be adults about it and not pout like you would

Oramac
2017-08-03, 08:04 AM
I may be the exception here, but I love giving my players overpowered ****. Then I just throw bigger and badder monsters at them. /evilgrin

Anyway, I also like using PROC based items. (PROC = Programmed Random OCcurrence) Things like the Radiant Hammer I made in my Custom Magic Items (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkgjcJlAg). Basically, when you do X thing, roll a dice. On a roll of Y, Z cool thing happens. This way, the cool thing that happens can be REALLY powerful, because it isn't guaranteed.

Also, I'll second everyone saying consumables too. Those are a great way to give the party power without really breaking anything.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-03, 11:14 AM
Expect them to be adults about it and not pout like you would

Pardon, but did you just accuse me of being childish?

My suggestion was simple, a scroll alternative that can't be copied and clearly only has one charge. And I gave my reason as not wanting to confuse the players with a series of one-charge wands, and the occasional multi-charge wand.

One-charge wands defy my expectations, and (to me) smell of a DM wanting to keep the players' power under control. Maybe that smells different to you, given that you have no nose. But there's no need for personal attacks.

Pex
2017-08-03, 02:39 PM
1st ed dmg: Note that a rod, staff or wand completely drained will become forever useless, crumbling to powder as its last charge is expended.
Trust that you will be tested and things will be unexpected. Expect them to be adults about it and not pout like you would

Had you not ended your post with "hahaha" your point might have had merit. Ending with "hahaha" confirms
Easy's point.

Mellack
2017-08-03, 03:26 PM
Don't wands in 5e recharge every day?

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-03, 11:06 PM
Had you not ended your post with "hahaha" your point might have had merit. Ending with "hahaha" confirms
Easy's point.

You're an idiot.

Pex
2017-08-04, 07:34 AM
You're an idiot.

I win!
:smallcool: