PDA

View Full Version : Do you threaten without proficiency?

Mike Miller
2017-08-01, 12:08 PM
Although the situation didn't come up in my game, it almost did and one PC asked about it. Do you threaten squares when wielding a weapon you aren't proficient with? My guess is yes, you do. However, I couldn't find anything saying one way or another. The example would be a wizard wielding a greatsword and no feat to provide proficiency.

Geddy2112
2017-08-01, 12:21 PM
Yes, you do, so long as it is a weapon.

A big exception is unarmed striking-unless you are proficient in unarmed strikes you don't threaten. I also think you don't threaten with improvised weapons unless you have catch off guard or something like that.

Anxe
2017-08-01, 01:50 PM
There doesn't appear to be any exception listed for improvised weapons on the SRD so I think they still threaten.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-01, 03:09 PM
It's really weird that you asked this, because I've been working on a build that uses the draconic claw feat, but sorcerers don't have proficiency in one handed reach weapons. (You can claw as a swift action after casting a spell, but you have to threaten them)

Goaty14
2017-08-01, 10:42 PM
Yes, even if it an improvised weapon.
note that you still take the -4 to hit because you're not proficient/it's not a weapon
This is because there isn't any other drawbacks to using a non proficient weapon that are written.

SirNibbles
2017-08-01, 10:50 PM
From the SRD: "You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action. Generally, that means everything in all squares adjacent to your space (including diagonally). An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you. If you’re unarmed, you don’t normally threaten any squares and thus can’t make attacks of opportunity."