PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Question about Petrifying Gaze attacks...

AidenDuke
2017-08-01, 12:15 PM
Hey! Me and a group of friends are playing D&D for the first time and we think we may have a pretty good understanding of the basic rules at this point but I'm the DM and would like to throw some cool challenges there was instead of just sticking the the utmost basics.
When deciding on what enemies to place I came across the Basilisk and was curious about the 'Petrifying Gaze' ability "Turn to stone permanently, range 30 feet; Fortitude DC 13 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based."

To be completely honest i'm not sure how this attack works. I was wondering if somebody could quickly run through it with me?

So, I guess my questions would be:

What does the creature actually need to roll for this attack to be successful, if anything?

What would the PC need to roll in order to negate the attack each turn?

And also, what negatives would be added to which stats if the PCs decided to close their eyes or wear blindfolds?

Sorry, I hate asking full on basic rule questions like this but I just can't work it out. Thank you

Inevitability
2017-08-01, 12:22 PM
Firstly, some general information about gaze attacks can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#gazeAttacks).

To answer your questions:

1. The creature using the gaze doesn't need to roll anything.
2. The PC would roll a d20, add their constitution modifier, base fortitude save bonus, and any other bonuses to fortitude saving throws they might have. If their result is 13 or higher, they are not petrified.
3. As detailed in the link above, being completely blind causes you to be immune to gaze attacks. Of course, it also causes you to be blind, which has its own set of penalties (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded).

AidenDuke
2017-08-01, 12:27 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me!

torrasque666
2017-08-01, 12:27 PM
What does the creature actually need to roll for this attack to be successful, if anything?Nothing. Its basically an aura effect. Though the creature can (not must) use it as an attack action on their turn.

What would the PC need to roll in order to negate the attack each turn?Fortitude saving through. They can attempt to avoid the gaze by redirecting their sight, but they still have a 50% chance to be effected. Alternatively, they can completely avert their sight (shutting eyes, turning around, etc) for a 100% chance to avoid but the creature then gains full concealment against the PC.

And also, what negatives would be added to which stats if the PCs decided to close their eyes or wear blindfolds?If just closing their eyes then their opponent gains full concealment as state above, so they can't attack the creature, but they can attack blindly at a 50% miss chance. If they wear blindfolds, they are effectively blinded taking all the penalties for that status.

EDIT:Swordsaged

AidenDuke
2017-08-01, 12:31 PM
Actually, I guess I should have asked what it means by "The save DC is Charisma-based"?

Inevitability
2017-08-01, 12:34 PM
Actually, I guess I should have asked what it means by "The save DC is Charisma-based"?

The save DC for a monster's abilities is calculated with the following formula:

10 + 1/2 monster's HD + relevant ability modifier.

The 'charisma-based' bit simply tells you that the 'relevant ability modifier' here is the monster's charisma modifier.

In most (but not all cases) said ability modifier will be either charisma or constitution, by the way.

torrasque666
2017-08-01, 12:35 PM
It means that the DC is 10+1/2HD+CHA, so its 10+3+0. If the basilisk were to get its hands on a Cloak of Charisma (or its charisma was otherwise increased) the DC would go up as well.

EDIT: Inevitability with the swordsaging today.