PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A And then he destroyed the vampire...

superransom
2017-08-01, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, long time reader, first time posting. Our last adventure we ran into a problem with a vampire that flummoxed us all, including the DM, leaving us confused on how to proceed. I mentioned to the group that I would post here for some ideas on how this all should play out:

Our last session we killed a vampire that had been pestering us for a while. Our mostly-rogue did enough damage to finally take the vampire to zero in one of his hideouts and he then turned to vapor to make his escape. Our Cleric of Pelor had been trying to destroy the vampire for a few rounds and was successful with a greater turn immediately following the vampire's change. From what we've read the books tell us the vampire is now destroyed. The problem for us is that while the vampire dropped his magic sword, we know he was wearing some nice magic armor. We assume he's got some other nice things too.

So here's our problem, what exactly does destroyed mean? Is the vampire now dust? Are all the items he was wearing and carrying also dust? Does he pull an Obi-Wan and explode like a loot piņata? All of us had no clue how to proceed, but luckily it was the end of the night anyways. Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

The Viscount
2017-08-01, 06:11 PM
I don't think there's going to be a concrete rule about this explicitly, but with some reliance on other rules I feel like we can come to a reasonable conclusion.

First, from a pure gameplay perspective I think the best outcome would be that the gear remains, either by having the mist that was the vampire disappear while the remaining mist coalesces into gear, or having it revert the vampire to a corporeal body, and then the body rapidly withers away.

Now for rules. "Destroyed" is rather an unhelpful term that doesn't have a given definition, but it is one that is used fairly consistently when discussing undead to mean "double dead" if you will. An example is in the undead type summary, where it says "Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed."

What exactly happens to an undead that is destroyed is not the clearest, but Libris Mortis has an answer of sorts. It gives us the spell Revive Undead, which mentions the target of "destroyed undead creature touched." This lets us know that whatever happens to a destroyed undead, there's at least enough remaining to touch and cast the spell on to restore the undead. This is the basis for my conclusion that a destroyed undead is still partially present as a body.

Finally, even if it dusts the vampire, note that Disintegrate, a similar effect, still preserves gear.

denthor
2017-08-01, 07:58 PM
By greater turn?

Does he have the sun domain?

If so the but he only gets so many per day. It is a called shot I am using it this turn dice say.

If the vampire died yes his gear is yours. If not then he is in his coffin find it he is weak and finish him.

Dancingdeath
2017-08-01, 08:05 PM
I agree that the gear remains. Everytime I've used or seen turn destroy an undead it dusts their body but any and all gear fall into a dust covered pile right along with the remains. I'd say this would apply to a mist formed vampire as well. The gear and remains just fall from the air into a pile from the mist as the negative energy that sustained the vamp is dispersed. Hope that helps.

PacMan2247
2017-08-01, 08:19 PM
Vampires can assume gaseous form as a supernatural ability requiring a standard action at will, per the spell, at a caster level of 5th (so ten minute duration at 2 minutes/level), which makes their gear gaseous as well. The Player's Handbook doesn't define "destroyed" anywhere that I can find, but as The Viscount already noted, even disintegrate leaves the gear behind. I also can't find anything ruling whether ongoing effects end immediately when their initiator dies or is destroyed, but I'd say that at worst, you'll be waiting a little shy of ten minutes to collect the gear- unless your DM is a sadist and rules that a breeze starts blowing the mist away (in which case follow it) or you have some means of forcing the misty gear and remains into a container to bring it somewhere with you.

SirNibbles
2017-08-01, 10:32 PM
From the Polymorph spell: "If slain, the subject reverts to its original form, though it remains dead."

"Polymorph Any Object and Shapechange also have this rule by virtue of the "This spell functions like Polymorph, except..." clause present in both spell descriptions.

I would assume that Gaseous Form and other similar Transmutation spells function the same way.

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-02, 07:03 AM
Yeah, the mist should form into ex-vampire dust and gear that falls to the ground in a clatter.

Zanos
2017-08-02, 04:40 PM
By greater turn?

Does he have the sun domain?

If so the but he only gets so many per day. It is a called shot I am using it this turn dice say.
He's a cleric of a Pelor, a sun god, so having the sun domain wouldn't be weird at all. A Radiant Servant of Pelor(PrC) would have extra uses as well.

On topic, I would say the vampires mist form reverts upon it actually dying.

denthor
2017-08-02, 04:54 PM
He's a cleric of a Pelor, a sun god, so having the sun domain wouldn't be weird at all. A Radiant Servant of Pelor(PrC) would have extra uses as well.

I agree it would not be weird I just wanted to know if it was the correct assumption.

Otherwise I did not know what was meant greater turn.

superransom
2017-08-02, 07:58 PM

He's got 3 levels in Radiant Servant of Pelor if I recall right, and has Sun as one of his domains. Sorry for leaving that out.

Crake
2017-08-02, 08:57 PM
There's also a feat called disciple of the sun, which allows you to spend 2 turns to perform a greater turn without actually being in the radiant servant of pelor class.

But yes, as other's have stated, destroying an undead via a greater turn most certainly does not destroy its gear the same way killing it by any other means would do so. It turn's the undead to dust, not any of it's possessions.

superransom
2017-08-03, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the answers. Seems like everyone agrees that the gear should remain. We've got our next session this Sunday night, I'll post after and let you guys know how the DM ruled.

TheFamilarRaven
2017-08-03, 01:54 PM
As others have said, the gear stays.

I'd probably describe it something along these lines.

"The divine energy washes over the vampire's misty form, and the cloud begins to crackle holy power. Suddenly, the gaseous wisp condenses back into the hideous undead monstrosity your were fighting moments before. Only this time, his skin is covered in golden cracks. Light seeps through his wounds, and the radiant energy swiftly intensifies. He writhes in agony on the floor, before he cries out one last angry curse. In a fit of rage, he lunges at you; only to crumble into dust."