PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Legendary Games] Legendary Gunslinger Open Playtest

N. Jolly
2017-08-01, 05:16 PM
Welcome all to the open playtest for the new legendary class, Legendary Gunslingers (https://docs.google.com/document/d/10MzQQumu0nksyGWKwmlVZFteXGUICeULHzehQKZWR8c/edit?usp=sharing)! Our goal here was to provide a more interesting and dynamic class to include in games, as well as one which better encapsulated the spirit of firearms in fantasy. To this end, we’ve decided to give the class a great deal more choice while making it more capable of contributing both in and out of combat. In addition, we’ve added several archetypes which are compatible with this new class rebuild, each one ready for playtesting. So please feel free to comment on the doc or in the threads on Paizo or Giant in the Playground, and looking forward to hearing from you!

The playtest will last 3-4 weeks depending on participation, and make sure to comment on the spot listed on the doc if you'd like to be listed as a playtester.

Nosta
2017-08-01, 08:40 PM
Bullet wizard, that's the archetype for me :)
Been wanting to play a magic Gun man

Florian
2017-08-02, 01:01 AM
Some thoughts after a first glance:

- Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge: On a ranged class? Doesn´t make too much sense.
- Evasion: I understand the thematic fit, but that pretty much lessens the threat of blasting too much.
- Gun Mastery/Extra Gun Mastery feat: Good. Having to invest in your Dragon Gun to be an effective swarm killer should be worth it.

- Gun Mage: As usual, this will get nasty with a Samsaran and packing Paladin spells. Generally speaking, I´m not overly convinced of using the Magus spellcasting and spell list on this, instead of Bloodrager.

- Living Turret: Plain boring. Could be a bit more in line with the Stalwart Defender.

N. Jolly
2017-08-02, 02:11 AM
Bullet wizard, that's the archetype for me :)
Been wanting to play a magic Gun man

I know a lot of people like gun mages, I wanted to make that happen.

Some thoughts after a first glance:

- Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge: On a ranged class? Doesn´t make too much sense.
- Evasion: I understand the thematic fit, but that pretty much lessens the threat of blasting too much.
- Gun Mastery/Extra Gun Mastery feat: Good. Having to invest in your Dragon Gun to be an effective swarm killer should be worth it.

- Gun Mage: As usual, this will get nasty with a Samsaran and packing Paladin spells. Generally speaking, I´m not overly convinced of using the Magus spellcasting and spell list on this, instead of Bloodrager.

- Living Turret: Plain boring. Could be a bit more in line with the Stalwart Defender.

UD and IUD are mostly there because the original had them...at level 15 as a deed for like no reason. It was because of stuff like this that I decided to take it as a rogue like class. I think it makes sense myself, as ranged characters can be snuck up on as easily as melee ones.

Blasting isn't really an issue for most ranged characters with a good reflex save, I don't have a huge issues with gunslingers having an edge on blaster types.

I figured people would want more gun fun.

I can't go back in time and fix samsaran, and I went magus since myrmidon is pretty well tested, so I feel like this kind of ranged spell-strike style thing is balanced enough.

Turret might be getting some changes, although it's pretty similar to stalwart defender anyways. Maybe I'll give it some of their powers as gun masteries, I had plans to probably end up giving it some temp HP each round it was in turret stance, gonna have to think of how to best configure that.

Florian
2017-08-02, 03:36 AM
@Living Turret:

That archetype is somewhat lacking focus. I mean, yeah, I´d use Overwatch Style and Blowout Shot Deed on it, but it´s somehow lacking incentive to actually do anything besides stand and deliver.

Edit: Funny though - The Artillery Team teamwork feat lets you handle an oversized firearm. Give that archetype some kind of Squire and the feat... hm... why do I´ve gotta think about Skaven right now?

N. Jolly
2017-08-02, 09:39 PM
@Living Turret:

That archetype is somewhat lacking focus. I mean, yeah, I´d use Overwatch Style and Blowout Shot Deed on it, but it´s somehow lacking incentive to actually do anything besides stand and deliver.

Edit: Funny though - The Artillery Team teamwork feat lets you handle an oversized firearm. Give that archetype some kind of Squire and the feat... hm... why do I´ve gotta think about Skaven right now?

Okay, some updates have been done to the archetype, now it's gaining temporary hit points at the end of each round to better set it up as a tanky character and included the option to use the double hackbut eventually.

Also 3 new archetypes, demolition soldier (bomber), faded slinger (stealth), and sky rider (flying mount), have been added to the doc.

Starbuck_II
2017-08-03, 10:57 AM
I think I'm going to try to run it through a solo campaign of rise of runelords to see how it fares (start it level 3 since I am outnumbered).
I love how you get Dex to damage at start, smart to limit by class, so it isn't just dipped.

I love the change to the 3rd level deed already, shooting traps to activate them or move objects.

I'm going to try Living Turret out.

Nosta
2017-08-03, 04:44 PM
Eh sadly my GM will not let use it. He thinks the Bullet wizard is to strong by having everything keyed off INT and he's wary of Arcane Artillery. Though to be honest I don't think its that bad

N. Jolly
2017-08-03, 05:02 PM
I think I'm going to try to run it through a solo campaign of rise of runelords to see how it fares (start it level 3 since I am outnumbered).
I love how you get Dex to damage at start, smart to limit by class, so it isn't just dipped.

I love the change to the 3rd level deed already, shooting traps to activate them or move objects.

I'm going to try Living Turret out.

Living turret does feel like it'd be fun for a solo game, and yeah, dex to damage to start was a huge thing I've been wanting to change FOREVER.

Eh sadly my GM will not let use it. He thinks the Bullet wizard is to strong by having everything keyed off INT and he's wary of Arcane Artillery. Though to be honest I don't think its that bad

It keys as much off its abilities as a magus does, so I guess if your GM thinks they're too strong, they won't like this (it even has the same reduced casting). Arcane artillery is still in testing, the damage might be getting a nerf, it depends on how well it plays at tables.

Also the new pale stranger archetype is up, and there's going to be new archetypes for holy/unholy gun, alchemical hotshots, and 'bling blasters' coming soon.