PDA

View Full Version : Ranger sniper

eyeman927
2017-08-01, 08:07 PM
Yo guys I need some tips for a really strong 15th level ranger I'm filling the archer role in a campaign and they need the archer so I decided to be a sniper I'm open to any build even outside of ranger I just really wanna use a bow I've done throwing weapon and its fun but haven't done bow yet

DEMON
2017-08-01, 08:40 PM
Yo guys I need some tips for a really strong 15th level ranger I'm filling the archer role in a campaign and they need the archer so I decided to be a sniper I'm open to any build even outside of ranger I just really wanna use a bow I've done throwing weapon and its fun but haven't done bow yet

Let's start with the usual questions: DnD or PF? What sources are allowed? What are the other builds in your group?

I'll let the others do the honours on the "don't play anything that's not a full caster at this level" sort of advice.

eyeman927
2017-08-01, 08:46 PM
Let's start with the usual questions: DnD or PF? What sources are allowed? What are the other builds in your group?

I'll let the others do the honours on the "don't play anything that's not a full caster at this level" sort of advice.

DnD most 3.5 and 3.0 sources some books I have to ask like UA uhm there's a bard a dragon heritor (homebrew heavy hitter) blaster (pretty sure she's a wizard) and a skill junkie and tbh build doesn't matter literally just skills the build

DEMON
2017-08-01, 08:57 PM
DnD most 3.5 and 3.0 ... build doesn't matter literally just skills the build

http://dictummortuum.blogspot.sk/2011/08/quickstart-cleric-archer.html

Darrin
2017-08-02, 08:16 AM
Is Tome of Battle available? The best long-range sniper I can do (outside of a 10d6 Swift Hunter) would probably be a Bardblade or Bardsader, since Dragonfire Inspiration doesn't really have a maximum range.

Anxe
2017-08-02, 10:18 AM
I did a sniper build to terrorize my players that you might be able to use. I started him off at 20th level so I'm not sure how the progression would work out.

Ranger 6/Fighter 4/Assassin 10
Feats are: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Longbow), Dead Eye, Manyshot, Rapid Shot, Greater Manyshot, Woodland Archer, Able Sniper, Darkstalker

The build uses the Assassin's Hide in Plain Sight ability to always be able to hide. Greater Invisibility would get the job done too, but that's too easily countered by divination magic. While you're unseen you do a Greater Manyshot to plug them full of Sneak Attack arrows as a standard action. Then you use a move action to Hide again. Woodland Archer lets you move between shots in addition to hiding, so your foes can't just attack the square you were in before.
Able Sniper just makes you a little bit better at hitting and hiding.
Dead Eye makes STR less necessary.
Darkstalker makes it more difficult to be detected while hiding.
The other feats are prerequisites. There's probably room for more feats or you could drop some Fighter levels and go for something else. I included a few other feats that I liked in my own build, but you shouldn't need my guidance on that.

That's the class/feat part of the build. An additional portion of it was equipment. A Returning bow is necessary. Get as big a MAGIC plus on it as you can. Then get some magic arrows. The arrows can be just +1 then loaded with special abilities. My favorite was Magebane, Suppression, Flaming, Shocking, Acidic, Icy, and Adamantine arrows. Magebane gives you a Bane effect against pretty much everything at high levels. Suppression rips off the buffs that people usually cast on themselves. The rest is just damage stuff. Since the arrows are Returning due to the bow, you don't need to buy a whole bunch. The NPC I made carried 8 of each arrow. 50 of them cost as much as a +8 weapon, but 8 of them only cost as much as a +3 weapon (roughly).

EDIT: Other favorite arrows of mine was a Speed, Clouting arrow to bust down barriers if necessary. I had another few with Great Dislocator on them to quickly remove big threats (they did not work well in practice). After repeated encounters with the sniper my players started countering the sniper by using Iron Body or Shapechanging into Iron Golems. He went and got some Golem Buster arrows. Greater Spellstoring (Rusting Grasp), Shocking, Magebane, and Construct Piercing. A little bit of homebrew on what it could do but it felt reasonable. Basically, the sky's the limit on what type of arrows you get. Each arrow is so cheap on its own you can be ready for any challenge if you have a day or two to custom order some magic arrows.

Also since you wanted to do a sniper (long range) there's an assassin spell that you can cast as a swift action to increase the range you can sneak attack to 60'. Dead Eye and the Favored Enemy bonus from Ranger are also precision damage so it helps a lot.

eyeman927
2017-08-02, 11:14 AM
I did a sniper build to terrorize my players that you might be able to use. I started him off at 20th level so I'm not sure how the progression would work out.

Feats are: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Longbow), Dead Eye, Manyshot, Rapid Shot, Greater Manyshot, Woodland Archer, Able Sniper, Darkstalker

The build uses the Assassin's Hide in Plain Sight ability to always be able to hide. Greater Invisibility would get the job done too, but that's too easily countered by divination magic. While you're unseen you do a Greater Manyshot to plug them full of Sneak Attack arrows as a standard action. Then you use a move action to Hide again. Woodland Archer lets you move between shots in addition to hiding, so your foes can't just attack the square you were in before.
The other feats are prerequisites. There's probably room for more feats or you could drop some Fighter levels and go for something else. I included a few other feats that I liked in my own build, but you shouldn't need my guidance on that.

That's the class/feat part of the build. An additional portion of it was equipment. A Returning bow is necessary. Get as big a MAGIC plus on it as you can. Then get some magic arrows. The arrows can be just +1 then loaded with special abilities. My favorite was Magebane, Suppression, Flaming, Shocking, Acidic, Icy, and Adamantine arrows. Magebane gives you a Bane effect against pretty much everything at high levels. Suppression rips off the buffs that people usually cast on themselves. The rest is just damage stuff. Since the arrows are Returning due to the bow, you don't need to buy a whole bunch. The NPC I made carried 8 of each arrow. 50 of them cost as much as a +8 weapon, but 8 of them only cost as much as a +3 weapon (roughly).

EDIT: Other favorite arrows of mine was a Speed, Clouting arrow to bust down barriers if necessary. I had another few with Great Dislocator on them to quickly remove big threats (they did not work well in practice). After repeated encounters with the sniper my players started countering the sniper by using Iron Body or Shapechanging into Iron Golems. He went and got some Golem Buster arrows. Greater Spellstoring (Rusting Grasp), Shocking, Magebane, and Construct Piercing. A little bit of homebrew on what it could do but it felt reasonable. Basically, the sky's the limit on what type of arrows you get. Each arrow is so cheap on its own you can be ready for any challenge if you have a day or two to custom order some magic arrows.

Also since you wanted to do a sniper (long range) there's an assassin spell that you can cast as a swift action to increase the range you can sneak attack to 60'. Dead Eye and the Favored Enemy bonus from Ranger are also precision damage so it helps a lot.

Dope dude ill look into that sounds fun if have to have my dm waive the evil prereq for assassin tho

Buufreak
2017-08-02, 11:46 AM
Is Tome of Battle available? The best long-range sniper I can do (outside of a 10d6 Swift Hunter) would probably be a Bardblade or Bardsader, since Dragonfire Inspiration doesn't really have a maximum range.

SURE IT DOES! Its all based on sound, and after a certain distance, a listen check is bound to autofail. Given, through skill cheese, that distance might be somewhere in the vacuum of space, but it does exist!

Darrin
2017-08-02, 11:53 AM
SURE IT DOES! Its all based on sound, and after a certain distance, a listen check is bound to autofail. Given, through skill cheese, that distance might be somewhere in the vacuum of space, but it does exist!

What I meant was the range isn't restricted to 30' (precision damage) or 60' (Crossbow Sniper). If I need to get persnickety about the range for Dragonfire Inspiration, an alphorn has a range of 1d10 miles.

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-02, 12:25 PM
Another good variation of the assassin build, if your DM forbids non-evil assassins, is Rogue (or scout) / Ranger 3/ Wizard 1/ Unseen Seer 10. What you are going for is Unseen Seer's ability to steal divination spells off any list to grab Hunter's Eye and Sniper's shot. The first gives you a fist full of sneak attack dice for any attack. The second allows you to sneak attack at any distance.

If you want to avoid the whole sneaky thing and want to be more mobile, consider scout. Craven works for scout as well as rogue, and you can move 10ft, swift cast sniper's shot, and greater manyshot with your distance longbow for 1d8+str+1d6+HD damage with each arrow. Using flight arrows and a bow enchanted for range will allow you to hit targets a mile out without too much trouble.

And if you want to hide the spot penalties to see you from that distance works out to be something like -500. A sneaky hawk familiar can act as your spotter.

eyeman927
2017-08-02, 12:31 PM
Thanks to all of you who replied so far I have many an idea for my buildpath now even items and so on

Anxe
2017-08-02, 01:21 PM
If the Evil prerequisite is a problem you can get the best Assassin goodies from other classes.
Shadow dancer gets hide in plain sight.
Ranger gets access to Sniper's Shot too.
Scout or rogue also give precision damage.

DEMON
2017-08-02, 01:53 PM
Craven works for scout as well as rogue

I don't think this is correct. A Sudden Strike would work for this purpose, but Skirmish?

If the Evil prerequisite is a problem you can get the best Assassin goodies from other classes.
Shadow dancer gets hide in plain sight.
Ranger gets access to Sniper's Shot too.
Scout or rogue also give precision damage.

Also, an Avenger is basically a non-evil Assassin and A Justice of Weald and Woe is the next best thing, when it comes to wannabe-Assassins.

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-02, 02:04 PM
Complete scoundrel is the book reference, I am pretty sure, that gives us the rule that precision damage is precision damage and all forms of it can qualify for anything that requires sneak attack damage.

Ask your DM, YMMV, the rules change based on what books are in play.

DEMON
2017-08-02, 02:22 PM
Complete scoundrel is the book reference, I am pretty sure, that gives us the rule that precision damage is precision damage and all forms of it can qualify for anything that requires sneak attack damage.

Ask your DM, YMMV, the rules change based on what books are in play.

Again, I'm gonna have to disagree.

CS has Swift Avenger, which both allows combining SA and Skirmish for ambush feats qualification and still explicitly states a different.

Fairly sure you've mixed up the SA - Sudden Strike equivalency from Complete Adventurer.

Eldariel
2017-08-02, 02:32 PM
Check iut http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=305.0

Goaty14
2017-08-02, 03:12 PM
If you can work out some kind of ranged sneak attack, I would suggest the UA Wilderness Rogue Variant, which is basically "Rogue, but with Hide in Plain Sight, and Camouflage as Class Tricks [The things you get at 10th level])

Honestly those two abilities is what makes the ranger good, but now that you can give that to a rogue, it loses its effectiveness

Outside of that, you probably want a high STR to start hitting high amounts of Composite Longbow draw Strength, and then probably grab some enhancements off of This Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?269705-Toxophilite-The-Archery-Handbook)

DEMON
2017-08-02, 05:17 PM
Telling Blow qualifies you for SA / Skirmish regardless of range, if you score a critical hit. Hunter's Mercy (spell, Ranger 1, SpC) is one way to crit reliably.

Also, if you do get Camouflage from whichever class, check with your DM if you can trade it for Hidden Stalker (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) ACF. Normally, it's only available to Scouts and Rangers, but that's because they get the traded class features (Camouflage and HiPS) by default.

Anxe
2017-08-02, 11:38 PM
Telling Blow qualifies you for SA / Skirmish regardless of range, if you score a critical hit. Hunter's Mercy (spell, Ranger 1, SpC) is one way to crit reliably.

Also, if you do get Camouflage from whichever class, check with your DM if you can trade it for Hidden Stalker (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) ACF. Normally, it's only available to Scouts and Rangers, but that's because they get the traded class features (Camouflage and HiPS) by default.

Does Hunter's Mercy work with Greater Manyshot?

Eldariel
2017-08-03, 02:54 AM
Does Hunter's Mercy work with Greater Manyshot?

No. Multiple attack rolls.

Rebel7284
2017-08-03, 11:28 AM
Mystic Ranger 10/Scout 3/Arcane Archer 2

Feats:
Sword of the Arcane order, Swift Hunter

Valwyn
2017-08-03, 04:17 PM

As much as I love this idea, arrows are destroyed after being used. You can't recycle them like that. (Unless you house rule otherwise, which you could as the DM.)

Anxe
2017-08-03, 06:38 PM
As much as I love this idea, arrows are destroyed after being used. You can't recycle them like that. (Unless you house rule otherwise, which you could as the DM.)

Yeah, it's a houserule for masterwork and better arrows. I figured almost everyone played with that so I didn't mention it.

"Black Arrow you've never failed me and I've always recovered you."

venturer
2017-08-04, 07:27 AM
How about ranger 5 or fighter 5 with Order of the
Bow Initate 10 with greater Manyshot. That is three arrows each doing 6d8, one from the bow and five from the class, which came be fire form zero to 60ft, that also halves enemise full cover bonus. The arrows can be fire at different targets.

this is behalf you add magic items to increase your damage

Eldariel
2017-08-04, 07:36 AM
How about ranger 5 or fighter 5 with Order of the
Bow Initate 10 with greater Manyshot. That is three arrows each doing 6d8, one from the bow and five from the class, which came be fire form zero to 60ft, that also halves enemise full cover bonus. The arrows can be fire at different targets.

this is behalf you add magic items to increase your damage

Doesn't work. Ranged Precision takes a standard action as does Greater Manyshot. They are alternatives, not a combination.

venturer
2017-08-04, 08:44 AM
Doesn't work. Ranged Precision takes a standard action as does Greater Manyshot. They are alternatives, not a combination.

sorry my mistake,

Pleh
2017-08-05, 05:03 AM
Yeah, it's a houserule for masterwork and better arrows. I figured almost everyone played with that so I didn't mention it.

"Black Arrow you've never failed me and I've always recovered you."

Works fine for an average adventurer, who works in a team to wipe the field of enemies, then give down time to collect the arrows.

Can be a problem for the average assasain, who often chooses sniping so that they never have to actually get close to their target.

Anxe
2017-08-05, 09:53 PM
Works fine for an average adventurer, who works in a team to wipe the field of enemies, then give down time to collect the arrows.

Can be a problem for the average assasain, who often chooses sniping so that they never have to actually get close to their target.

That's where the returning bow comes in!

Pleh
2017-08-06, 05:00 AM
That's where the returning bow comes in!

... what am I missing here? People seem to like to use crystals of returning on their bows, but I see nothing that says it affects the ammunition instead of the bow itself.

The Returning enchantment itself says it can only affect a thrown weapon, so even if you enchanted an arrow, you'd have to throw it by hand for the Returning to trigger.

Not to mention all descriptions of Returning seem to indicate the arrow would fly back to you, not teleport back to you, giving creatures a second, much easier chance to notice you.

Kind of defeats the purpose of Sniping.

Anthrowhale
2017-08-06, 06:10 AM
This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22126857&postcount=49) seems relevant as it works even better as a Ranger than as a Fighter and a strategy of winning at stealth and archery is heavily used.

eyeman927
2017-08-10, 04:19 PM

What books do I find all these feats in homies

DEMON
2017-08-10, 05:36 PM
What books do I find all these feats in homies

Dead Eye - Dragon Compendium
Greater MS - Expanded Psionic Handbook
Woodland Archer - Races of the Wild
Able Sniper - Races of the Wild
Darkstalker - Lords of Madness

Unless I missed something, all other feats should be SRD. Feel free to correct me.