PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a "cheat sheet" for selecting spells for gishes

danielxcutter
2017-08-01, 09:37 PM
I'm trying to make a "cheat sheet"(more like a mini-handbook honestly) for gishes, to make it easier choosing spells instead of having to look them up whenever someone wants to make a gish.

To elaborate, this isn't just about buffs.

Yes, buffs are very important, but honestly, that's not all you're going to be doing with your spell slots.

I mean, for one, buffs take up precious actions. Unless you have some prep time, maybe because it's right before the bossfight or you're launching an ambush, there's a limit to the number of buffs you can prepare at once without either making combat drag on or putting too much pressure on the other players.

And for another, you might be a few CL behind, but remember, you're still a caster. Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, Teleport... those and many, many more are on your spell list.

So I'm going to make a list of great spells per level that a gish might consider getting, whether it's a gish-friendly spell or a good one in general. Utility, BFC, maybe even direct damage spells.

Could you guys help? This isn't for the cheat sheet itself, I'll make a seperate thread for that when I get enough spells.

Snowbluff
2017-08-01, 11:19 PM
And for another, you might be a few CL behind, but remember, you're still a caster.

Wow, this is sounding really familiar.

Spells I like:
Celerity
Haste
Dominate Person
Haboob
Solid Fog
Hail of Stone
Simulacrum
Friendly Fire

danielxcutter
2017-08-01, 11:35 PM
Wow, this is sounding really familiar.

That's why I worded it like that, yes. :smallbiggrin:

Spells I like:
Celerity
Haste
Dominate Person
Haboob
Solid Fog
Hail of Stone
Simulacrum
Friendly Fire

Great, but a question about Friendly Fire. Does it essentially grant immunity to ranged attacks if it's cast as a full-round action, for the duration at least?

flappeercraft
2017-08-01, 11:38 PM
You can't go wrong with Wraithstrike (Especially if persisted) and Haste. Sakkratar's Triple Strike is also a good spell for Gishes which can be persisted.

danielxcutter
2017-08-01, 11:48 PM
You can't go wrong with Wraithstrike (Especially if persisted) and Haste. Sakkratar's Triple Strike is also a good spell for Gishes which can be persisted.

Knew about the first two, but STS is neat!

Gildedragon
2017-08-02, 07:16 AM
I am super fond of (Greater) Luminous Armor
It has an Hours/Level duration (meaning that by the time you can extend it a single casting lasts a full adventuring day)

It gives decent armor (+5 (+8 Greater) v ranged, +9 (+12) v melee) and provides great light. It does hurt Str (1-3 points) a bit and requires Good, but neither ought be too much of a problem. Also it doesn't encumber, and if one got Casting Stat to AC (which is fairly easy) it doesn't hamper that.

Snowbluff
2017-08-02, 07:41 AM
That's why I worded it like that, yes. :smallbiggrin:

Great, but a question about Friendly Fire. Does it essentially grant immunity to ranged attacks if it's cast as a full-round action, for the duration at least?

Hehehe :smallwink:

It does indeed. It's an aburdly power spell, the wizard equivalent of Infinite Deflection.