PDA

View Full Version : A Biting Monk

Naanomi
2017-08-02, 02:48 AM
On another thread, we (briefly) discussed the idea of a Lizardman Open-Hand Monk who used his bite to fight... I was writing it out and with just a few exceptions*, an Open-Hand monk can actually represent a very good 'completely savage fighter' in this case. Note that not all of these choices are optimized per-se, but intended to best capture the concept while still remaining as functional as possible... I realize that Lizardman actually has very little (beyond some skills) to offer a Monk, but the lure of biting people is too strong to resist.

Lizardman/Monk (Open Hand) 20/Customized Outlander
STR 8/DEX 15/CON 17/INT 8/WIS 16/CHA 8
Athletics, Stealth, Survival, Perception, Intimidation, Insight
Leatherworker's Tools
Common, Draconic, (Two of choice based on campaign; perhaps Giant and Orcish as a default)
ASI: +1 DEX/+1 CON, +2 DEX, +2 DEX, +2 WIS, +2 WIS

Equipment Needed: A leather bandoleer for your home-made darts, if that

(NOTE: The exceptions in fluff that don't fit the savage image to me: Tranquility, Invisibility, Speaking All Languages, and the specific 'delay' mechanics of Quivering Palm... as an AL character, I think I would justify them as awakening my KI through my animalistic nature, actually becoming a 'monk' in some fashion at mid-to-high levels)

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-02, 03:03 AM
I prefer shadow or long death for this, feels more predatory. Open hand does give the options of taking someone to the floor and eating their face, knocking people back with your beastly strength, and hitting someone so hard and fast they can't react. Shadow offers the silent but deadly predator that jumps from shadow to shadow so you never really know what he looks like (which adds to the fear). Long death has you eating people for more health (tho temp) and scaring them, as well as just being so hard to kill, and the capstone of biting someones head off for minimum 10d10 necrotic damage. Swallow it whole.

Malifice
2017-08-02, 06:08 AM
Just make the martial arts damage piercing and not bludgeoning.

Done