PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting poison rules?

Squibsallotl
2017-08-02, 07:47 AM
As a pact of the chain Warlock, I'm wondering if there are any rules that govern harvesting and applying an Imp's poison to weapons / ammunition?

Do i need poisoner's kit proficiency to do this? The kit's description suggests that it allows me to add my proficiency bonus to "craft or use poisons". I'm not crafting them per se, and what sort of check is required to use them?

JackPhoenix
2017-08-02, 07:54 AM
DMG 258, Int check, DC 20, proficiency in Nature or poisoner's kit applies. You poison yourself if you fail by 5 or more, and RAW, doesn't work on imp, because the creature must be dead or incapacitated, and familiar disappears when it hits 0 hp.

Squibsallotl
2017-08-02, 08:04 AM
RAW, doesn't work on imp, because the creature must be dead or incapacitated, and familiar disappears when it hits 0 hp.

RAW, sure, but a willing Imp that's actively helping with the harvest process would surely be a valid target. I'd go as far as to say it should grant advantage on the check.

That DC is horrible though. Expertise and advantage would be needed methinks.

Quoxis
2017-08-02, 08:24 AM
RAW, sure, but a willing Imp that's actively helping with the harvest process would surely be a valid target. I'd go as far as to say it should grant advantage on the check.

That DC is horrible though. Expertise and advantage would be needed methinks.

House rule: advantage on the check if you have proficiency in both nature and poisoner's kit?

Falcon X
2017-08-02, 01:23 PM
If you are open to homebrew, this person put together a very well thought out and developed document on gathering and using herbs in 5e: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3w1log/5e_herbalism_alchemy_v12_updates_fanmade/

Also, a Dawnforged did one of the best homebrews I've seen with a great Alchemist class, utilizing substances:
https://dawnforgedcast.myshopify.com/products/5th-edition-alchemist-class

Armored Walrus
2017-08-02, 01:51 PM
... RAW, doesn't work on imp, because the creature must be dead or incapacitated, and familiar disappears when it hits 0 hp.

You can incapacitate your imp without reducing it to 0 hit points. Doesn't Sleep incapacitate, for example? Also, I would think any reasonable DM would rule that a willing creature can simply incapacitate itself.

As a DM, if I had a problem with at-will poison milking, I would probably rule that a familiar isn't fully in the material plane (disappears when it's killed and can be resummoned, doesn't leave behind a corpse) and therefore the poison loses potency as soon as it's removed from the body of the familiar. Personally, though, I wouldn't have a problem allowing it, but would probably put a cap on how often it can be done, and remove the poison from the familiar's attack during the "cooldown" in between milking attempts.

I've been looking at these rules myself, recently, and was thinking of changing the DC of the check to whatever the DC is to resist the poison, +5. So to milk an imp would only be DC 16, to milk a wyvern would be DC 25.