PDA

View Full Version : Mummy Rot

dungeon_munky
2007-08-09, 10:51 AM
My party recently came across a few mummies, and my assassin was cursed with mummy rot. The cleric had not prepared anything paricularly useful to combat it (we staved it off for a while with bears endurance), but I inevitably died. I was wondering; what are some ways you can get rid of mummy rot?

Call Me Siggy
2007-08-09, 10:55 AM
-Be a paladin.

-Have a high enough level paladin around.

-Pay for a remove disease.

-If you're DM is in an adventurous mood, have it develop slowly and quest for the antidote.

its_all_ogre
2007-08-09, 11:01 AM
i thought it took quite some time to kill you?

Leon
2007-08-09, 11:17 AM
No, Mummy Rot is Fast acting

to use Remove disease you 1st have to break the Curse effect with a Break enchantment or Remove curse spell

Tellah
2007-08-09, 11:17 AM
Leon's got it. Mummies are a tricky sort of creature; a DM dropping one into an adventure needs to make sure the players have access to multiple remove curse castings to get over that pesky caster level check, as well as access to remove disease. If the DM plans his adventures far enough in advance, he ought to place a wand of remove curse and a potion of remove disease in a previous treasure. As a player, the mummy highlights the need for divinations prior to jumping into a dungeon, so you know when you need to prepare for something specific like that.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-09, 12:15 PM
The initial damage of the mummy rot is harsh (due to the short incubation period), but it still acts like a normal disease (albeit one that you can't recover from naturally). After the incubation period, you take damage on a failed save every 24 hours. Also, remember you get a save every day to not take damage. It doesn't state in the mummy rot description that damage is dealt every minute.

Incubation Period: The time before damage begins.

It doesn't say 'The time between saves to take damage'.

dungeon_munky
2007-08-09, 03:05 PM
The initial damage of the mummy rot is harsh (due to the short incubation period), but it still acts like a normal disease (albeit one that you can't recover from naturally). After the incubation period, you take damage on a failed save every 24 hours. Also, remember you get a save every day to not take damage. It doesn't state in the mummy rot description that damage is dealt every minute.

It doesn't say 'The time between saves to take damage'.

Huh, I guess my DM made a mistake there. I thought it was a bit brutal for a CR5 creature. Oh well, we were far away from the nearest town anyways (due to a dragon attack on the one we were operating from.)

Ivellios
2007-08-09, 03:10 PM
The DM allowed you to be raised though, correct? Especially if you died due to his miscalculation.

dungeon_munky
2007-08-09, 03:20 PM
Couple problems with raise dead:

It would take too long to get to a cleric capable of casting it (our cleric was petrified by a gorgon, but the party carried him for a while)

Body disintegrated (I dont think its RAW but we play that you need part of the body to raise the dead)

The party members are like dragons when it comes to hoarding gold. It would take persuading.

Lastly, the character was a follower of Nerull, god of death, and he views returning from the dead as a sin against his god. Unless Nerull sends him in the form of a death knight.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-09, 03:44 PM
Couple problems with raise dead:

It would take too long to get to a cleric capable of casting it (our cleric was petrified by a gorgon, but the party carried him for a while)

Body disintegrated (I dont think its RAW but we play that you need part of the body to raise the dead)

It is RAW. I think the wording is something like 'The body must be whole to be raised', so no raise dead = legit. Another problem is that Raise Dead doesn't cure magical diseases or curses, so you'd be in the same predicament after the rez.

The party members are like dragons when it comes to hoarding gold. It would take persuading.

Lastly, the character was a follower of Nerull, god of death, and he views returning from the dead as a sin against his god. Unless Nerull sends him in the form of a death knight.

Sucks about the party. Ultra-greedy adventurers are hyper annoying. I was in one game where the party cleric charged PHB prices for healing... So the rest of the party decided to stop offering protection for free and he soon wisened up. Good play on the character/religion.

Problem with mummy rot is that it often disrupts party progress due to it's brutal-ness (that and the fact that at lower levels, it's super hard to even get regular healing with mummy rot) and forces a stop back to town. It seems like an hones mistake (unless he/she's out to get you), but maybe the DM can give your new character a little something extra to make up for it :smallamused:

dungeon_munky
2007-08-09, 04:02 PM
Problem with mummy rot is that it often disrupts party progress due to it's brutal-ness (that and the fact that at lower levels, it's super hard to even get regular healing with mummy rot) and forces a stop back to town. It seems like an hones mistake (unless he/she's out to get you), but maybe the DM can give your new character a little something extra to make up for it :smallamused:

DM's a he, not out to get me as far as I know. He's letting me come back as a wizard, going into Sevenfold Veil, and rather than doing the whole one level less than party average, he's letting me come in at the party average, though at the minimum XP needed to be that level. I think that's good enough.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-09, 05:11 PM
DM's a he, not out to get me as far as I know. He's letting me come back as a wizard, going into Sevenfold Veil, and rather than doing the whole one level less than party average, he's letting me come in at the party average, though at the minimum XP needed to be that level. I think that's good enough.

Seems downright generous! Sounds like everything worked out.

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 05:52 PM
Seems downright generous! Sounds like everything worked out. I agree that it's good that things worked out, but I wouldn't call that generous...the DM misunderstanding how often the ability damage is delivered was a major factor in the character's swift death, so I think doing anything less than a clean slate would have been adding insult to injury.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-10, 05:07 AM
You only need 3rd level spells to counter Mummy Rot. Cure Disease and Remove Curse.

What self-styled Cleric would *NOT* have Remove Curse memorised? There's all kinds of insanely nasty things it can counter, as a cleric, I *ALWAYS* have one in memory, just in case. Too many nasty little curses floating around that I may need undoing.

And really, if it can take days to die from, you should be able to mem both of the necessary spells the next day and fix it then.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-10, 05:11 AM
Yeah, teh Dm screwed up and you died. It sounds like you're happy with your new character, which works out well, but IMO you shouldn't be penalised any experience points at all for his mistake.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-10, 06:48 AM
I agree that it's good that things worked out, but I wouldn't call that generous...the DM misunderstanding how often the ability damage is delivered was a major factor in the character's swift death, so I think doing anything less than a clean slate would have been adding insult to injury.

I get the feeling that I play with strict/mean DMs... Whenever some kind of PC death occurs due to DM negligence, and someone later points it out, we usually get an 'Oops... Well, next time I'll keep that in mind'. Depending on the DM, we can sometimes get away (through guilt, I guess) with getting something extra on our PC if our new PC's background can warrant it (DM figures something appropriate depending on background), but not once has the bonus XP loss/gain related.

dungeon_munky
2007-08-10, 12:07 PM
The cleric did have remove curse prepared, he just burnt it on a healing spell earlier that day. But ah...it doesnt look like I'm going to be coming back. The fighter and the rogue both died in an encounter that wasn't necessarrily too hard, but they all rolled terribly. Except the guy they were fighting, who rolled amazingly. Due to some PC stupidity, the cleric and swashbuckler got themselves trapped behind a room with a swimming pool full of acid that was full of a poisonous gas. I think the swashbuckler can live there for a while, at least until monsters find him (he has a ring of sustainance), but the cleric had a run in with a red slaad four days before, so he is going to have a blue one bursting out of his chest in three days. I think it's over for that party.