PDA

View Full Version : Dragon*Con

Mr Croup
2007-08-09, 10:56 AM
Any forumites heading to Dragon*Con (http://www.dragoncon.org/) at the end of the month?

It's in my hometown, so I'll definitely be there, partying like a rock star, as is the tradition. I'm also going to be running a Paranoia LARP with the production company I work with, for any that might be interested. It's called, funnily enough, The Dragon CONspiracy (http://www.digitribe.net/paranoia/), if you want to have a look. /shameless plug

So, any playgrounders making there way to Atlanta?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-09, 11:00 AM
Sadly, tis salt in an open wound. I love Dragon-con, but this year, I have to work both that Friday and Saturday.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-09, 11:18 AM
There is a possibility of my going, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 11:19 AM
I'd go, but I's too poor. A pity, because I'm not even an hour away..

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-09, 11:33 AM
VOnriel, you should at least go and wander around the convention area. You'll see lots of intersting people and cool costumes. Walking around the convention area is free, its the rooms you have to pay for and those aren't well guarded.

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 11:39 AM
*shrug* It's not just entry. I mean it when I say I'm poor, and anything I do related to the convention would have to come from my pocket. :smallsigh: If only I could get a damned job..

Besides, what's the point of going to something like that if you can't at least bring something back with you.

Mr Croup
2007-08-09, 11:45 AM
Sad, working during Con is no good at all. Once upon a time when I worked at Barnes & Noble, it was discovered, much to the chagrin of the store manager, that nearly a quarter of the full time employees were in fact geeks who all had their heart set on taking their time off to go to the Con. I, luckily had put in my request for days off a couple months ahead of time.

Vonriel, depending on your situation, you could always volunteer, at which point you get a badge for working a few shifts. And you can always live, if hard pressed off of the free food and drink in the Con-suite.

Penguinsushi
2007-08-09, 11:53 AM
I'd like to go, but i doubt it'll happen.

Though if Anne Mccaffrey was going to be there this year (as she has in years past), the Bardic Bunny would be making sure we went.

...though I see the Brobdingnagian Bards are going to be there...

~PS

Totally Guy
2007-08-09, 12:03 PM
Besides, what's the point of going to something like that if you can't at least bring something back with you.

I went to a convention one time and I took out £200 (maybe $400) from an ATM to spend on whatever frivilous buys I could manage. There was nothing at all worth buying. Yes I was at the right convention but all the stuff they were selling was tat. I came home without a single item of stuff.

Edit: It wasn't a very good convention as it was full of geeks.

WampaX
2007-08-09, 12:19 PM
I should be there

Mr Croup
2007-08-09, 12:20 PM
I very rarely by anything at Con, simply because I find it's usually over priced, or I can just as easily get it somewhere else (like the interweb). All that said, there's a decent amount of freebies to be had at Dragon*Con, various promo material for games, movies, and what have you. I think the last thing I actually "bought" at a Con was George Lazenby's (of On Her Majesty's Secret Service) autograph a couple years back. Of course I have friends that seem to always end up spending hundreds of dollars on stuff each year.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-09, 12:35 PM
I'd like to go, but i doubt it'll happen.

Though if Anne Mccaffrey was going to be there this year (as she has in years past), the Bardic Bunny would be making sure we went.

...though I see the Brobdingnagian Bards are going to be there...

~PS

but...but....if you're not going, then who will have my "Perfectly Ordinary Rabbit" Munchkin card signed by Sluggy Freelance (www.sluggy.com) writer, Pete Abrams.

Help me Obi-won-Pengsushi, you're my only hope.

Penguinsushi
2007-08-09, 12:42 PM
but...but....if you're not going, then who will have my "Perfectly Ordinary Rabbit" Munchkin card signed by Sluggy Freelance (www.sluggy.com) writer, Pete Abrams.

Help me Obi-won-Pengsushi, you're my only hope.

Dude, it's 'obiwonpengobi' - and that's Kevin. :smallwink:

Perhaps we can send something with Rucht?

The Bardic Bunny and I aren't sure how money's gonna be with her new job, so it probably wouldn't be too smart to spend a couple hundred bucks right off the bat...

edit: @V: hehe...now i want to go just so i can do that. :smallbiggrin:

~PS

WampaX
2007-08-09, 12:44 PM
I'll be wearing my Giant In the Playground badge . . . and if anyone comes up to me and says the pass-phrase "Night Flight Wampas" you will receive a free copy of the Game Promo Card that was handed out at last year's Gen*Con (unless I'm out and then you'll get something else I might have handy).

Mr Croup
2007-08-09, 12:47 PM
Good to know. Now just to make sure I keep my eye out for a repto-mammal with a GitP badge...

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 12:59 PM
Bah, you people and your trying to convince me to go. You almost had me for a moment. :smallwink:

WampaX
2007-08-09, 01:01 PM
I should be wearing the traditional playground color of Tan in the form of an unbuttoned dress shirt (most likely worn over a solid color T-shirt or the Davinci Roy T) and my badge will be very prominent when viewed from the front. It is a Stick portrait of me holding a toy version of
<------ that avatar

RTGoodman
2007-08-09, 01:02 PM
I went last year and had a great time, especially meeting all the other Browncoats. If you went to the last year's final Browncoat panel that was scheduled (the one that Summer Glau canceled once everyone was already in the room), my friends and I were the ones that sent my brother and best friend to try to convince her and all the people still in line for autographs to ALL come to the panel so we didn't waste all our time for nothing.

This year, however, I can't make it. We're going to Ozzfest in a couple of weeks, and that's the big event that I'm allowing myself to skip classes to attend for this semester.

Anyway, hope you guys have a good time - I've been following the updates on various Browncoat Yahoo groups, and the stuff already planned for the Con sounds great.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 01:22 PM
I would love to go, especially with friends in the area. However, it is always Labor day weekend, which is my birthday weekend, and if I go to the closer Origins and GenCon it would mean that I would have hit three large cons in three months.

Maybe if I ever join a GMing group and start getting major discounts on my cons, but only then.

Which makes me all sad.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-09, 01:28 PM
I'll be wearing my Giant In the Playground badge . . . and if anyone comes up to me and says the pass-phrase "Night Flight Wampas" you will receive a free copy of the Game Promo Card that was handed out at last year's Gen*Con (unless I'm out and then you'll get something else I might have handy).

@Penguinsushi: yeah, but I gave Kevin that name and I can take it away. Plus, no one here knows him, so I figured I could copy it. I admire your logic regarding funds, even if I do disagree with it on the basis of "but this would be fun."

@Wampa: No one mentioned promo cards. Hmmmmm......I wonder if I could make it on Sunday. I love promo cards. Its the obsessive collector in me that twinges in joy at playing them.

@ Vonriel: You do know that anyone that meets Wampa in person, he allows one free infraction, right? See you should totally go.

Pyro
2007-08-09, 02:50 PM
Sounds like fun and I'm like only an hour away, but conventions of any kind aren't my thing.

Darkon Slayer
2007-08-09, 05:17 PM
I've been wanting to go to Dargon Con, but finacial restraints keep me from going.

Midnight Son
2007-08-09, 09:01 PM
I was going to go, but I'm a total con-virgin and the person who was going to take me is unable to go now.:smallfrown:

ilovefire
2007-08-09, 09:31 PM
I want to go--I only live about two or three hours away, maybe as many as five depending on traffick. But not only is labor day weekend the weekend after my birthday, but my High School's marching band has to play at a football game that friday, one far enough away that we probalby won't get home until about 2 or 3 AM saturday morning, and well. I need my sleep.

Jimorian
2007-08-09, 09:58 PM
Alas, I won't be able to make it because I'll be in Japan for WorldCon. :smallwink:

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-09, 11:54 PM
Arrgh. Now you're making me jealous. Aside from school and financial restraints, there is also the fact that my parents wouldn't take me halfway across the country to spend a few days at a convention....*sigh* :smallfrown:

Penguinsushi
2007-08-10, 03:35 PM
Sounds like fun and I'm like only an hour away, but conventions of any kind aren't my thing.

....but....if it sounds like fun...

Sorry, but that juxtaposition is just too funny...

:smallwink:

~PS

Aerimus
2007-08-13, 07:42 PM
Last year was my first year at the Con. I spent most of my time either at one of the animation panels or staying up all night playing Are You a Werewolf in the gaming room. I was really bummed when I found out that Pete Abrams would be there this year for the 10th anniversary of Sluggy AND that Doc Hammer is supposed to be there. The day was saved when my wife surprised me with an early birthday present. How to just scrounge up the $25 for a copy of Sluggy Megatome 2 so I can get Pete to autograph it...

ForzaFiori
2007-08-13, 11:03 PM
I'd try to go, but I'm running a 5K that friday night.
so i'm gonna be dead tired that weekend.

Creeps
2007-08-14, 12:16 AM
Sadly, I am dirt poor this year. Oh well. There's always next year.

I will miss not getting a chance to inadvertently insult Luke Ski to his face again, or being shot by Rip Taylor for looking at him funny.

Good times.

WampaX
2007-08-30, 08:27 AM
One day till the biggest Con in the South.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-30, 09:10 AM
I was rather annoyed to find out that practically everything I wanted to go to at the Con was booked up like two months in advance. Not worth the money just to go watch the fankids go by...