PDA

View Full Version : Let's build a God Killer and 1v1 the tarrasque

urawhat
2017-08-02, 07:54 PM
DM challenge time!!! My DM has challenged my group to build a character up to level 20 (below for extra credit) that can beat a tarrasque by themselve. Limited magical items ("one very rare item, 2 rare items, 3 uncommon, and as many common as you want, but remember you can only be attuned to 3 items at a time no legendary or artifacts. ") and only the main D&D 5e books and expansions, No playtest material. If anybody can do it I know you his forum can! Cant wait to see your ideas!!!!

*starting stats are 18, 18, 17, 17, 16, 16 You may also use one tome or one manual of your choice.

Unoriginal
2017-08-02, 08:09 PM
The traditional answer is "one level 5 Elf Wizard with a Fly spell, potions/scrolls of flight, a magical longbow and the means to transport way more than 169 arrows." It does require to make the Tarrasque act without even animal cunning, and some pretty optimal conditions to attempt.

Note that the Tarrasque is not god-like

Rebonack
2017-08-02, 08:19 PM
Level 5 Warlock with a Carpet of Flying, Hex, and the Madden Hex invocation.

Swoop within 90 feet, Hex the Big T, and then swoop away.

Go make yourself a delicious eldritch sandwich while triggering Maddening Hex each round as a bonus action for 3 psychic damage. The 8 hour duration on Hex will give you plenty of time to slowly DoT the thing to death.

urawhat
2017-08-02, 08:20 PM
The traditional answer is "one level 5 Elf Wizard with a Fly spell, potions/scrolls of flight, a magical longbow and the means to transport way more than 169 arrows." It does require to make the Tarrasque act without even animal cunning, and some pretty optimal conditions to attempt.

Note that the Tarrasque is not god-like
Ive heard this method before and its fun but like you said you need optimal conditions. Also I say it gets god status being one of the hardest or at least, most annoying fights from the MM.

Unoriginal
2017-08-02, 08:22 PM
Also I say it gets god status being one of the hardest or at least, most annoying fights from the MM.

Trust me, it doesn't. The gods are worse.

urawhat
2017-08-02, 08:24 PM
Trust me, it doesn't. The gods are worse.

Just curious I havn't seen stats on the actual Gods do you have a link of where I could look them up.

urawhat
2017-08-02, 08:28 PM

Go make yourself a delicious eldritch sandwich while triggering Maddening Hex each round as a bonus action for 3 psychic damage. The 8 hour duration on Hex will give you plenty of time to slowly DoT the thing to death.

This sounds cheesy to the max. LoL.

Squibsallotl
2017-08-02, 09:46 PM
Or if you don't like the kiting methods, a L20 Moon Druid can face-tank the Tarrasque without magic items.

Water Elemental Shape, Foresight pre-cast, Call Lightning via Beast Spells.

I crunched some numbers on this a while ago:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475536-Soloing-the-Tarrasque-an-optimization-challenge&highlight=Tarrasque

urawhat
2017-08-02, 10:07 PM
Or if you don't like the kiting methods, a L20 Moon Druid can face-tank the Tarrasque without magic items.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475536-Soloing-the-Tarrasque-an-optimization-challenge&highlight=Tarrasque

Thanks for the alt method looks fun.

imanidiot
2017-08-02, 11:01 PM

No one uses the Tarrasque correctly. You dont let them fight it in a field hundreds of miles from civilization. You make them stuble upon the Tarrasque while it's sleeping, underground in a cavern just a little bigger than it is, and they just woke it up, roll initiative.

Xrposiedon
2017-08-02, 11:15 PM
Tabaxi Race (Volo's guide) - 30

5 Barbarian for Fast Movement (PHB) - 10

Mobility feat (PHB) - 10

Elk Totem (SCAG)- 15

Boon of speed (DMG) - 30

5 Monk for Unarmored Movement (PHB) - 10

6 Transmuter Wizard for stone (PHB) - 10

Lvl 1 spell: Longstrider (PHB) - 10

Major artifact with speed (DMG) - 10

Total = 135 speed

Tabaxi Feline agility (Volo's guide) - x2 speed for 1 turn

Boots of speed (DMG) - x2 speed for 10 minutes

Lvl 3 spell: Haste - x2 movement speed

135 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 1080 IF STACKING x2

If not stacking...135 speed , 135, 135, 135 = 540

THEN.....

2 Fighter for Action Surge: Dash - +100% movement

Lvl 3 spell: Haste: Dash action - +100% movement

2 Rogue for Cunning action: Dash - +100% movement bonus action

Standard Dash action - +100% movement

1080 x 5 = 5400ft for 1 turn, or roughly 600 Miles per hour run speed....IF stacking the 2x multipliers

or 1080 movement if you only are x2 on the actual base movement ...it comes to about 1080 speed.

So instead of flying...Just run away, and fire some arrows at him with longbow...and continue.....if he gets close to you....run back to where you were firing arrows, scavenge for the arrows that brushed off him....and continue.....

Specter
2017-08-02, 11:20 PM
If you want to go the martial way, all you need is a solid way to impose disadvantage, great AC and sustained damage. The shortest thing I can think of is Eldritch Knight with Greater Invisibility, but I'm sure other classes can pull it off (with maybe the exception of Ranger, but that's because they're horde-oriented, not boss oriented).

SharkForce
2017-08-02, 11:31 PM

no need for call lightning. or foresight really. just claw/bite/smash it to death; moon druid wild shape attacks count as magic weapons. the tarrasque can't deal enough damage to kill the tougher wild shape forms in a single round anyways, so it'll never reach your real hit points.

Xrposiedon
2017-08-02, 11:40 PM
no need for call lightning. or foresight really. just claw/bite/smash it to death; moon druid wild shape attacks count as magic weapons. the tarrasque can't deal enough damage to kill the tougher wild shape forms in a single round anyways, so it'll never reach your real hit points.

except if you get swallowed....

urawhat
2017-08-02, 11:51 PM

Thats what I was wondering about aswell

Squibsallotl
2017-08-02, 11:51 PM

The Tarrasque can break the water elemental form if it crits. Foresight (plus the Lucky feat if you're paranoid) prevents that. Call Lightning is just to speed up its demise. I go over the rationale behind all those choices in the linked post.

Water Elemental can't be swallowed, because it can't be grappled.

urawhat
2017-08-02, 11:57 PM
The Tarrasque can kill the water elemental moon druid if it crits. Foresight (plus the Lucky feat if you're paranoid) prevents that. Call Lightning is just to speed up its demise. I go over the rationale behind all those choices in the linked post.

Water Elemental can't be swallowed, because it can't be grappled.

Thanks for the clarification that makes sense.

Squibsallotl
2017-08-03, 12:08 AM
A much more difficult challenge would be 1v1 Tiamat. I was able to make a party of 4 to take her out, but a single character?

Here's the 4 person party with a battle sim if anyone's interested.

Assumptions:
Each PC has drunk a Potion of Resistance of each of Tiamat's damage types prior to the battle.
All AoE's cast by Tiamat will hit at least 2 party members.
Tiamat will focus melee attacks against Paladin to avoid Sentinel reprisal, unless she has a chance to kill a PC.
Death Ward has been cast on all PCs prior to the fight (3x from the Cleric, 1x from the Paladin).
Tiamat stands and fights, rather than kites the party with flight. Maybe the Wizard cast Antipathy/Sympathy (attract Tiamat) to an underground location, or maybe they're all taunting her each round to insult her pride.

Party roster:

Half-Orc Wolf Totem Barbarian
Str: 24
Dex: 14
Con: 24
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

HP: 285 AC: 20
Saves: Str +15, Con +15, Dex +4, Int +1, Wis +2, Cha -1
Init: 6

Feat: Great Weapon Master
Ioun Stone of Mastery, Vorpal Greatsword, Cloak of Protection, Periapt of Proof Against Poison

Attacks 2/round, +17 to hit, 22 (32 with GWM) dmg. On a crit deal 68 dmg and bonus attack.
Prep actions: 1 bonus action (rage)

Variant Human Oath of Devotion Paladin
Str: 18
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 8
Cha: 20

HP: 204 AC: 29
Saves: Str +6, Dex +3, Con +4, Int +1, Wis +9, Cha +13
Init: 14

Feat: Sentinel
Feat: Tough
Defense fighting style
Plate Armor +3, Shield +3, Holy Avenger, Cloak of Protection, Ring of Protection, Periapt of Proof Against Poison

Attacks 2/round, +18 to hit (sacred weapon), 59 damage (first two hits), 54 (next two hits), drops by 5 more for each 3 hits afterwards. On a crit deal 111 damage
(first two hits), 101 (next two hits), drops by 10 more for each 3 hits afterwards.
Prep actions: 1 action (sacred weapon)

High Elf Bladesinger Wizard
Str: 10
Dex: 20
Con: 16
Int: 20

Stats in Wizard form:
HP: 142 AC: 21 (26 with Bladesong, 31 with Shield)
Saves: Str +2, Dex +7, Con +11 (+16 with Bladesong), Int +13, Wis +9, Cha +1
Init: 8

Feat: Resilient (Con)
Ioun Stone of Fortitude, Luck Blade Longsword, Ring of Protection, Studded Leather Armor +3, Periapt of Proof Against Poison

Stats in Pit Fiend Form:

HP: 300 AC: 19 (24 with Bladesong, 29 with Shield)
Saves: Str +8, Dex +8, Con +13 (+18 with Bladesong), Int +6, Wis +10, Cha +7

Resists cold, immune to fire and poison
Attacks 4/round, +14 to hit, 27 dmg, 22 dmg, 20 dmg, 29 dmg
Prep actions: 1 action (shapechange), 1 bonus action (bladesong)

Hill Dwarf War Cleric
Dex: 8
Int: 12
Wis: 20
Cha: 10

HP: 183, AC: 28
Saves: Str +3, Dex +1, Con +11, Int +2, Wis +13, Cha +7
Init: 9

Plate Armor +3, Shield +3, Cloak of Protection, Ring of Protection, Periapt of Proof Against Poison, Staff of Striking +3

Can attack as bonus action 5/rest, +13 to hit, 33 damage (up to 3x, spending 3 charges from the staff each time).
Prep actions: 1 action (Holy Aura)

Friendly Aoe Buffs active:
+5 to all saves (paladin aura of protection)
Immune to fear (paladin aura of courage)
advantage on melee attacks against Tiamat (wolf totem barbarian)
advantage on all saving throws (holy aura)
Tiamat makes attacks at disadvantage (holy aura)

Tiamat Initiative: 14

Tiamat and Paladin tied for initiative, paladin has higher Dex bonus (+1), goes first.

Init order:
Paladin, Tiamat, Cleric, Wizard, Barbarian.

Paladin activates Sacred weapon, moves up to melee.
Tiamat legendary action triggers, uses Black Dragon Head acid breath against whole party.
Barbarian: 14(19), fail. Paladin: 8 (13), fail. Wizard: 22(27), success. Cleric: 8(13), fail. Party take 34 acid damage each, Wizard takes 17.

Barbarian down to 251HP. Paladin down to 170HP. Wizard (caster form) down to 125HP. Cleric down to 149HP.

Tiamat's legendary actions replenish. Uses Frightful Presence (resisted by all due to fear immunity), then Multiattacks the Paladin.
30,22,24. One hit. Paladin takes 24 slashing damage.

Paladin down to 146HP.

Cleric's turn, moves up to melee, casts Holy Aura and attacks as a bonus action via War Priest (1/5).
1,2(15). Miss.
Tiamat legendary action triggers, uses Blue Dragon Head lightning breath against Paladin & Cleric.
Both auto fail and take 44 damage. Cleric has to make a DC 22 Concentration save to maintain Holy Aura.
8,8(24), passes.

Paladin down to 102HP, Cleric down to 105HP.

Wizard's turn, uses Bladesong, casts Shapechange into Pit Fiend form and moves up to melee. Tiamat's legendary action triggers, uses Red Dragon Head fire breath against Paladin & Cleric.
both auto fail and take 46 damage. Cleric has to pass DC 23 Con save to maintain Holy Aura.
19,18(35). Passes.

Paladin down to 56HP, Cleric down to 59HP.

Barbarian's turn, activates Rage and moves up to melee, attacks twice using GWM both times.
17,13 (29). 16,10 (28). Hits both times, Tiamat takes 64 damage.
Tiamat's remaining legendary action triggers, Green head attempts to bite Paladin.
17,1. Critical miss.

Tiamat down to 551HP.

Paladin's turn, attacks twice.
8,11 (29), 16,10 (34), hits both times. Tiamat takes 118 damage.

Tiamat down to 433HP.

Tiamat's turn, regenerates 30hp, legendary actions replenish.. Multiattacks the Paladin
11,9(28), 7,2(21), 8,8(27), miss all three.

Tiamat up to 463HP.

Cleric's turn, casts Mass Heal and restores all PCs to full health. Makes Bonus action attack with war Priest (2/5)
7,7(20), miss, uses Channel Divinity to turn it into hit (1/3). Tiamat takes 33 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, White Dragon head cold breath against Paladin & Cleric.
4,19(25), 19,5(25), both fail and take 36 damage each. Cleric must make a DC 18 Con save to maintain Aura.
3,11(27), success.

Paladin down to 168HP, Cleric down to 147HP.

Wizard's turn, attacks 4x as Pit Fiend.
1,4(18), 4,10(24), 7,4(21), 17,8(31). Cleric uses Channel Divinity to turn the 18 into a hit (2/3), two hits. Tiamat takes 56 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, Black Dragon head acid breath against Paladin & Cleric.
Both fail and take 34 acid damage each. Cleric must make DC 17 Con save to maintain Holy Aura, auto success.

Tiamat down to 407HP. Paladin down to 134HP, Cleric down to 113HP.

Barbarian's turn, attacks 2x with GWM on each attack.
13,6(25), 12,4(24). One hit, one miss. Tiamat takes 32 damage.
Tiamat uses remaining legendary action, Bites Paladin with Green dragon head.
9,5(24). Miss.

Tiamat down to 375HP.

6,17 (35).17,9 (35). Two hits. Tiamat takes 108 damage.

Tiamat down to 267HP.

Tiamat's turn, regenerates 30hp, legendary actions replenish. Multiattacks the Paladin.
20,19(38), 4,5 (23), 8,9(27), one hit. Paladin takes 24 damage.

Tiamat up to 297HP. Paladin down to 110HP.

Cleric's turn, casts Heal on Paladin, heals 70hp. Makes bonus action attack with War Priest (3/5)
8,6(19), miss. Uses Channel Divinity (3/3) to turn it into a hit, Tiamat takes 33 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, Blue dragon head lightning breath against Paladin & Cleric.
Both fail and take 44 damage. Cleric must succeed at DC 22 Con save.
19,7(35), pass.

Tiamat down to 264HP. Paladin up to 136HP, Cleric down to 69HP.

Wizard's turn, attacks 4x as pit fiend.
19,16(33), 1,11(25), 5,9(23), 2,10(24). Two hits, Tiamat takes 49 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, Red dragon head fire breath against Paladin & Cleric. Both fail and take 46 damage. Cleric must make DC 23 Con save.
11,4(27), pass.

Tiamat down to 215HP. Paladin down to 90HP, Cleric down to 23HP.

Barbarian's turn, attacks 2x with GWM.
19,2(31), 17,2(29), two hits, Tiamat takes 64 damage.
Tiamat's remaining legendary action triggers, Green dragon head Bite Cleric.
17,12(31), hit.
Cleric takes 32 damage, would reduce him to -9. Death Ward triggers and reduces him to 1hp. Paladin gets Reaction attack from Sentinel.
8,6(26), hit. Tiamat takes 49 damage.

Tiamat down to 166HP. Cleric down to 1hp.

Paladin's turn, attacks 2x.
6,10(28), 12,12(30), two hits. Tiamat takes 98 damage.

Tiamat down to 68HP.

Tiamat's turn, regenerates 30hp, legendary actions replenish. Casts Divine Word, Cleric must make a DC 26 Charisma save or die.
2,1(14), fail, Cleric dies. Holy Aura dissipates (Tiamat can attack normally, PCs don't get advantage on saves).

Tiamat up to 98HP.

18,8(32), 15,11(29), 3,19(33), 12,16(30), 4 hits. Tiamat takes 98 damage and dies.

Positiveimpact3
2017-08-03, 12:27 AM
Thinking a bit more laterally be a GOO warlock, go around the world turning its leaders into your thrall long enough to get them to sign a contract stating they will fight for you at your call. Then call em' all and start a world war against the terrasque. No fighting from you needed.

Failing that be a sorcerer and twin cast wish to turn you and your familiar into terrasques and have a world splitting terrasque battle.

Another option is to be a monk, go to a safe and separate plane of existence, use your astral plane ability and travel to the terrasque and battle it to the death. When you are inevitably defeated you will just be sent back to your body where you can spend an hour resting and do it again endlessly until the terrasque is eventually defeated.

Xrposiedon
2017-08-03, 12:28 AM
I should point out however, that the Tarrasque can definitely kill water elemental or any elemental form in 1 round....and if it ever crit, it could more than do it. It does get 5 attacks...

Even low damage is right around 100 in a round. It still has the possibility of dying.

Squibsallotl
2017-08-03, 12:45 AM
I should point out however, that the Tarrasque can definitely kill water elemental or any elemental form in 1 round....and if it ever crit, it could more than do it. It does get 5 attacks...

Even low damage is right around 100 in a round. It still has the possibility of dying.

Water Elemental has 114 hitpoints, and the Tarrasque deals 92 damage/round against it (half damage due to resistance, assuming all attacks hit, 2x Bite for 18 damage each, 2x Claw for 14 damage each, 1x Horns for 16 damage, and 1x Tail for 12 damage).

With Foresight and Lucky, the chance of a crit is roughly 1:8000.

Read my linked post before you continue to raise irrelevant objections.

Xrposiedon
2017-08-03, 01:25 AM
Water Elemental has 114 hitpoints, and the Tarrasque deals 92 damage/round against it (half damage due to resistance, assuming all attacks hit, 2x Bite for 18 damage each, 2x Claw for 14 damage each, 1x Horns for 16 damage, and 1x Tail for 12 damage).

With Foresight and Lucky, the chance of a crit is roughly 1:8000.

Read my linked post before you continue to raise irrelevant objections.

I don't think you get the point of this. Its not a post to build a character which has a high chance of survival...It's to just flat out build a "God Killer" which....while your build would work..I would not be choosing that as a first choice...id rather have 100% chance of survival than 70, 80, 90%. Don't assume what I am saying here is bad either....Your build would probably work a lot of the time....but not all time time...and I would even concede it would be a lot of fun, but its not invincible.

What you are saying is ; the chances are low. However, you state that its not ever going to get you down to reach real hit points. It is definitely possible to get to the real hit points to kill the character. You are assuming the rolls are low. On a CR 30...for the most part....you just don't want to even get attacked.

Lucky isn't going to save you forever. You also stated on your previous post (Which btw, I have read...) that you could make it roll again due to Lucky.... Okay so you do that. Now what? Math gets thrown out of the window on that after its used up....because you also stated it would be about 20 rounds before you kill it. So now what happens once you've used up your lucky?

I really don't want to go into the math on this, but needless to say...math on this will get you killed.....the above posts with flying around it etc....would guarantee a kill. Why even include chances of hitting you? If there is a chance, even if its 1/10000000000 ....you still have a chance to die and you can't really deny that.

I think everyone has seen a person roll 4 20's in a row and some 5.....sometimes the dice just go in your favor. The anti Wil Wheaton effect

Also: Lets try and end your post with something constructive rather than being confrontational. No one needs to see a flame war on a decent forum topic. We are all playing a game we love....so lets have a good discussion about it!

Tsubodai
2017-08-03, 01:54 AM
A much more difficult challenge would be 1v1 Tiamat. I was able to make a party of 4 to take her out, but a single character?

Here's the 4 person party with a battle sim if anyone's interested.

Assumptions:
Each PC has drunk a Potion of Resistance of each of Tiamat's damage types prior to the battle.
All AoE's cast by Tiamat will hit at least 2 party members.
Tiamat will focus melee attacks against Paladin to avoid Sentinel reprisal, unless she has a chance to kill a PC.
Death Ward has been cast on all PCs prior to the fight (3x from the Cleric, 1x from the Paladin).
Tiamat stands and fights, rather than kites the party with flight. Maybe the Wizard cast Antipathy/Sympathy (attract Tiamat) to an underground location, or maybe they're all taunting her each round to insult her pride.

Party roster:

Half-Orc Wolf Totem Barbarian
Str: 24
Dex: 14
Con: 24
Int: 10

HP: 285 AC: 20
Saves: Str +15, Con +15, Dex +4, Int +1, Wis +2, Cha -1
Init: 6

Feat: Great Weapon Master
Ioun Stone of Mastery, Vorpal Greatsword, Cloak of Protection, Periapt of Proof Against Poison

Attacks 2/round, +17 to hit, 22 (32 with GWM) dmg. On a crit deal 68 dmg and bonus attack.
Prep actions: 1 bonus action (rage)

Variant Human Oath of Devotion Paladin
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 8
Cha: 20

HP: 204 AC: 29
Saves: Str +6, Dex +3, Con +4, Int +1, Wis +9, Cha +13
Init: 14

Feat: Sentinel
Feat: Tough
Defense fighting style
Plate Armor +3, Shield +3, Holy Avenger, Cloak of Protection, Ring of Protection, Periapt of Proof Against Poison

Attacks 2/round, +18 to hit (sacred weapon), 59 damage (first two hits), 54 (next two hits), drops by 5 more for each 3 hits afterwards. On a crit deal 111 damage
(first two hits), 101 (next two hits), drops by 10 more for each 3 hits afterwards.
Prep actions: 1 action (sacred weapon)

High Elf Bladesinger Wizard
Str: 10
Dex: 20
Int: 20

Stats in Wizard form:
HP: 142 AC: 21 (26 with Bladesong, 31 with Shield)
Saves: Str +2, Dex +7, Con +11 (+16 with Bladesong), Int +13, Wis +9, Cha +1
Init: 8

Ioun Stone of Fortitude, Luck Blade Longsword, Ring of Protection, Studded Leather Armor +3, Periapt of Proof Against Poison

Stats in Pit Fiend Form:

HP: 300 AC: 19 (24 with Bladesong, 29 with Shield)
Saves: Str +8, Dex +8, Con +13 (+18 with Bladesong), Int +6, Wis +10, Cha +7

Resists cold, immune to fire and poison
Attacks 4/round, +14 to hit, 27 dmg, 22 dmg, 20 dmg, 29 dmg
Prep actions: 1 action (shapechange), 1 bonus action (bladesong)

Hill Dwarf War Cleric
Dex: 8
Int: 12
Wis: 20
Cha: 10

HP: 183, AC: 28
Saves: Str +3, Dex +1, Con +11, Int +2, Wis +13, Cha +7
Init: 9

Plate Armor +3, Shield +3, Cloak of Protection, Ring of Protection, Periapt of Proof Against Poison, Staff of Striking +3

Can attack as bonus action 5/rest, +13 to hit, 33 damage (up to 3x, spending 3 charges from the staff each time).
Prep actions: 1 action (Holy Aura)

Friendly Aoe Buffs active:
+5 to all saves (paladin aura of protection)
Immune to fear (paladin aura of courage)
advantage on melee attacks against Tiamat (wolf totem barbarian)
advantage on all saving throws (holy aura)
Tiamat makes attacks at disadvantage (holy aura)

Tiamat Initiative: 14

Tiamat and Paladin tied for initiative, paladin has higher Dex bonus (+1), goes first.

Init order:
Paladin, Tiamat, Cleric, Wizard, Barbarian.

Paladin activates Sacred weapon, moves up to melee.
Tiamat legendary action triggers, uses Black Dragon Head acid breath against whole party.
Barbarian: 14(19), fail. Paladin: 8 (13), fail. Wizard: 22(27), success. Cleric: 8(13), fail. Party take 34 acid damage each, Wizard takes 17.

Barbarian down to 251HP. Paladin down to 170HP. Wizard (caster form) down to 125HP. Cleric down to 149HP.

Tiamat's legendary actions replenish. Uses Frightful Presence (resisted by all due to fear immunity), then Multiattacks the Paladin.
30,22,24. One hit. Paladin takes 24 slashing damage.

Paladin down to 146HP.

Cleric's turn, moves up to melee, casts Holy Aura and attacks as a bonus action via War Priest (1/5).
1,2(15). Miss.
Tiamat legendary action triggers, uses Blue Dragon Head lightning breath against Paladin & Cleric.
Both auto fail and take 44 damage. Cleric has to make a DC 22 Concentration save to maintain Holy Aura.
8,8(24), passes.

Paladin down to 102HP, Cleric down to 105HP.

Wizard's turn, uses Bladesong, casts Shapechange into Pit Fiend form and moves up to melee. Tiamat's legendary action triggers, uses Red Dragon Head fire breath against Paladin & Cleric.
both auto fail and take 46 damage. Cleric has to pass DC 23 Con save to maintain Holy Aura.
19,18(35). Passes.

Paladin down to 56HP, Cleric down to 59HP.

Barbarian's turn, activates Rage and moves up to melee, attacks twice using GWM both times.
17,13 (29). 16,10 (28). Hits both times, Tiamat takes 64 damage.
Tiamat's remaining legendary action triggers, Green head attempts to bite Paladin.
17,1. Critical miss.

Tiamat down to 551HP.

8,11 (29), 16,10 (34), hits both times. Tiamat takes 118 damage.

Tiamat down to 433HP.

Tiamat's turn, regenerates 30hp, legendary actions replenish.. Multiattacks the Paladin
11,9(28), 7,2(21), 8,8(27), miss all three.

Tiamat up to 463HP.

Cleric's turn, casts Mass Heal and restores all PCs to full health. Makes Bonus action attack with war Priest (2/5)
7,7(20), miss, uses Channel Divinity to turn it into hit (1/3). Tiamat takes 33 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, White Dragon head cold breath against Paladin & Cleric.
4,19(25), 19,5(25), both fail and take 36 damage each. Cleric must make a DC 18 Con save to maintain Aura.
3,11(27), success.

Paladin down to 168HP, Cleric down to 147HP.

Wizard's turn, attacks 4x as Pit Fiend.
1,4(18), 4,10(24), 7,4(21), 17,8(31). Cleric uses Channel Divinity to turn the 18 into a hit (2/3), two hits. Tiamat takes 56 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, Black Dragon head acid breath against Paladin & Cleric.
Both fail and take 34 acid damage each. Cleric must make DC 17 Con save to maintain Holy Aura, auto success.

Tiamat down to 407HP. Paladin down to 134HP, Cleric down to 113HP.

Barbarian's turn, attacks 2x with GWM on each attack.
13,6(25), 12,4(24). One hit, one miss. Tiamat takes 32 damage.
Tiamat uses remaining legendary action, Bites Paladin with Green dragon head.
9,5(24). Miss.

Tiamat down to 375HP.

6,17 (35).17,9 (35). Two hits. Tiamat takes 108 damage.

Tiamat down to 267HP.

Tiamat's turn, regenerates 30hp, legendary actions replenish. Multiattacks the Paladin.
20,19(38), 4,5 (23), 8,9(27), one hit. Paladin takes 24 damage.

Tiamat up to 297HP. Paladin down to 110HP.

Cleric's turn, casts Heal on Paladin, heals 70hp. Makes bonus action attack with War Priest (3/5)
8,6(19), miss. Uses Channel Divinity (3/3) to turn it into a hit, Tiamat takes 33 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, Blue dragon head lightning breath against Paladin & Cleric.
Both fail and take 44 damage. Cleric must succeed at DC 22 Con save.
19,7(35), pass.

Tiamat down to 264HP. Paladin up to 136HP, Cleric down to 69HP.

19,16(33), 1,11(25), 5,9(23), 2,10(24). Two hits, Tiamat takes 49 damage.
Tiamat's legendary action triggers, Red dragon head fire breath against Paladin & Cleric. Both fail and take 46 damage. Cleric must make DC 23 Con save.
11,4(27), pass.

Tiamat down to 215HP. Paladin down to 90HP, Cleric down to 23HP.

Barbarian's turn, attacks 2x with GWM.
19,2(31), 17,2(29), two hits, Tiamat takes 64 damage.
Tiamat's remaining legendary action triggers, Green dragon head Bite Cleric.
17,12(31), hit.
Cleric takes 32 damage, would reduce him to -9. Death Ward triggers and reduces him to 1hp. Paladin gets Reaction attack from Sentinel.
8,6(26), hit. Tiamat takes 49 damage.

Tiamat down to 166HP. Cleric down to 1hp.

Paladin's turn, attacks 2x.
6,10(28), 12,12(30), two hits. Tiamat takes 98 damage.

Tiamat down to 68HP.

Tiamat's turn, regenerates 30hp, legendary actions replenish. Casts Divine Word, Cleric must make a DC 26 Charisma save or die.
2,1(14), fail, Cleric dies. Holy Aura dissipates (Tiamat can attack normally, PCs don't get advantage on saves).

Tiamat up to 98HP.

18,8(32), 15,11(29), 3,19(33), 12,16(30), 4 hits. Tiamat takes 98 damage and dies.

If we are allowed to use UA for the "1v1 Tiamat challenge", I would use a Nuclear Druid; Fighter 2/ Wizard 1/ Twilight Druid 17. I would also take Alert and max Dex in order to help try to win Initiative.

Cast Magic Missile at 9th level, add 9 Harvest Dice. You get 1d4 + 1 + 9d10 damage from each missile. Averaged that is 48 damage.
12*48 = 576 damage

Action Surge to cast Magic Missile at 8th level on the same turn, add 8 Harvest Dice.
1d4 + 1 + 8d10 damage from each missile; 11*43 = 473 damage.

Total damage: 1049 force damage, auto-hits.
If you win initiative, you kill Tiamat.

Xrposiedon
2017-08-03, 02:04 AM
If we are allowed to use UA for the "1v1 Tiamat challenge", I would use a Nuclear Druid; Fighter 2/ Wizard 1/ Twilight Druid 17. I would also take Alert and max Dex in order to help try to win Initiative.

Cast Magic Missile at 9th level, add 9 Harvest Dice. You get 1d4 + 1 + 9d10 damage from each missile. Averaged that is 48 damage.
12*48 = 576 damage

Action Surge to cast Magic Missile at 8th level on the same turn, add 8 Harvest Dice.

NEver seen that before, I like it!

Rebonack
2017-08-03, 02:10 AM
This sounds cheesy to the max. LoL.

Arguably any 'kill the big T with the lowest level PC possible' challenge is going to get some cheesy results.

And given the way Maddening Hex is written right now, it's arguably the nastiest out-of-combat/stealth kill mechanic in the game.

Squibsallotl
2017-08-03, 02:22 AM
You are assuming the rolls are low.

I'm assuming nothing of the sort. The Tarrasque is hitting for its listed damage with every attack. If the DM running the Tarrasque decides to roll damage for every hit, occasionally you might be forced out of Wild Shape form and take some caster damage. At which point you can just heal yourself and turn back into a Water Elemental on your turn. You're a full caster, remember?

think everyone has seen a person roll 4 20's in a row and some 5.....sometimes the dice just go in your favor.

I haven't. Foresight makes every attack at disadvantage, with Lucky as a third line of defense. So the Tarrasque needs 3x 20's in a row to break Water Elemental form. At which point the caster takes some damage, heals, and shifts back.

Now you could argue that the Tarrasque could roll 3x 20's in a row, every round, until the caster runs out of heals/real hit points... but at that point you're just being silly.

The goal of my build is to TANK the Tarrasque, not to rely on kiting tactics. If you've got a better build with 100% success rates in doing this, post it!

Unoriginal
2017-08-03, 03:25 AM

12*48 = 576 damage

NEver seen that before, I like it!

This does not work.

Tiamat is immune to spells that are below 7th level, she is not immune to spell slots. A 1rst level spell is still a 1rst level spell even if cast with a 9th level spell slot.

So Tiamat is always immune to Magic Missile, unless you weakened her to remove her immunity to magic.

Tsubodai
2017-08-03, 03:30 AM
This does not work.

Tiamat is immune to spells that are below 7th level, she is not immune to spell slots. A 1rst level spell is still a 1rst level spell even if cast with a 9th level spell slot.

So Tiamat is always immune to Magic Missile, unless you weakened her to remove her immunity to magic.

"When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting." Page 201, PHB. Therefore, if Magic Missile is cast in a 9th level spell slot, it becomes a 9th level spell for that casting.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-03, 04:07 AM
"When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting." Page 201, PHB. Therefore, if Magic Missile is cast in a 9th level spell slot, it becomes a 9th level spell for that casting.

That's good to know.

The part of the 'MM/Harvest' combo I think doesn't work is the 'Harvest dice count on each missile' thing.

I've seen Sage Advice's rulings on this, and PHB errata on other spells, and from what I can tell, when extra damage is added to a spell like Magic Missile, it's only added once.

The Life Cleric 'Goodberry' thing is a unique situation from Goodberries being eaten independently in time, Warlock Eldritch Blast and Charisma modifiers to each one is a class skill, etcetera. The default is 'if the damage is rolled once, then any rider damage is added only once'.

Do you have a ruling that supports your idea? If so, then IMO Harvest Dice is super broken. There are way too many combos that do this that would make other classes obsolete.

Tsubodai
2017-08-03, 04:10 AM
That's good to know.

The part of the 'MM/Harvest' combo I think doesn't work is the 'Harvest dice count on each missile' thing.

I've seen Sage Advice's rulings on this, and PHB errata on other spells, and from what I can tell, when extra damage is added to a spell like Magic Missile, it's only added once.

The Life Cleric 'Goodberry' thing is a unique situation from Goodberries being eaten independently in time, Warlock Eldritch Blast and Charisma modifiers to each one is a class skill, etcetera. The default is 'if the damage is rolled once, then any rider damage is added only once'.

Do you have a ruling that supports your idea? If so, then IMO Harvest Dice is super broken. There are way too many combos that do this that would make other classes obsolete.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/17/magic-missile-do-you-roll-the-same-d4-for-all-darts/

As Crawford says, RAW, you roll one die for Magic Missile. Therefore you add your Harvest Dice to that die's damage and then multiply that total by the number of darts you have created.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-03, 05:32 AM
The Tarrasque can be fairly trivially beaten by a level 1 Aaracockra Cleric with Sacred Flame (or more generally, anything with flight and a means to damage it). Just fly above it and ping it to death over the course of 45 minutes or so, since it has nothing (barring the Frightful Presence, which doesn't actually harm you and will be overcome for a day within a few rounds anyway) that can affect a target at range.

The only potential weakness of this strategy is if the Tarrasque tries to run (and 'forcing it to flee' doesn't count as winning). An Aaracockra can actually keep pace with it (assuming there are no other creatures around for it to get Legendary Actions from), but so you can run it down while continuing to fire some sort of speed boost (e.g. Rogue levels) would come in handy - also, these give you the ability to kite it even if there's not enough headroom, or if the DM decides the Tarrasque's stubby little arms can throw improvised weapons. As long as you're not stupid enough to let the wannabe Godzilla sneak up on you, it's all gravy.

Rogerdodger557
2017-08-03, 06:02 AM
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/17/magic-missile-do-you-roll-the-same-d4-for-all-darts/

As Crawford says, RAW, you roll one die for Magic Missile. Therefore you add your Harvest Dice to that die's damage and then multiply that total by the number of darts you have created.

While that is true, I don't know anyone who rolls just 1d4 for magic missile

Tsubodai
2017-08-03, 06:12 AM
While that is true, I don't know anyone who rolls just 1d4 for magic missile

I personally don't either, but RAW, you should. And as you are casting Magic Missile in this instance, I think the caster should have the right to decide how he rolls damage.

excommunicated
2017-08-03, 08:02 AM

12*48 = 576 damage

That seems a fairly generous interpretation of the 'Harvest’s Scythe' feature. Wording is for one spell ..."You can spend a number of dice equal to half your druid level or less." turning that into 108 dice for one spell would require a fairly generous interpretation of the feature, but hey, if you can get a DM to go along with this interpretation, more power to you. :smallbiggrin:

Tsubodai
2017-08-03, 08:06 AM
That seems a fairly generous interpretation of the 'Harvest’s Scythe' feature. Wording is for one spell ..."You can spend a number of dice equal to half your druid level or less." turning that into 108 dice for one spell would require a fairly generous interpretation of the feature, but hey, if you can get a DM to go along with this interpretation, more power to you. :smallbiggrin:

I admit that it is generous, but RAW it is the correct use.
RAW, you roll one dice for Magic Missile.
You say "I add 9 Harvest Dice to my Magic Missile spell". You roll your single d4 and 9d10's, as per RAW, and then multiply that total by the number of bolts you created, as per RAW.
If you can ask your DM to go by RAW, then it works. If he wants to limit it, he can just go by RAI.

excommunicated
2017-08-03, 08:23 AM
You say "I add 9 Harvest Dice to my Magic Missile spell". You roll your single d4 and 9d10's, as per RAW, and then multiply that total by the number of bolts you created, as per RAW.
If you can ask your DM to go by RAW, then it works. If he wants to limit it, he can just go by RAI.

Have you found an DM who lets you use this method? The Magic Missile spell says nothing about "multiplying". The Harvest's Scythe feature says nothing about "multiplying". In addition it says your total pool of necrotic energy dice equals your level and it states clearly they are spent from the pool as you use them.

The English language is not a mathmatical formula or a computer program, it has wiggle room. Saying something is RAW is often just another way of saying your selected interpretation of the rules is the right one. But on that argument we could start a whole new thread. Bottom line is if you can find a DM who lets you use the wording that way, I take my hat off to you, though I'm not sure I would want to join that particular game, unless it was a one-off, just for laughs.

Tsubodai
2017-08-03, 08:32 AM
Have you found an DM who lets you use this method? The Magic Missile spell says nothing about "multiplying". The Harvest's Scythe feature says nothing about "multiplying". In addition it says your total pool of necrotic energy dice equals your level and it states clearly they are spent from the pool as you use them.

The English language is not a mathmatical formula or a computer program, it has wiggle room. Saying something is RAW is often just another way of saying your selected interpretation of the rules is the right one. But on that argument we could start a whole new thread. Bottom line is if you can find a DM who lets you use the wording that way, I take my hat off to you, though I'm not sure I would want to join that particular game, unless it was a one-off, just for laughs.

I would direct you to this;

Here Crawford states that you roll 1 damage die. Therefore, all of your bolts use the same damage roll. Therefore, all of your bolts use the damage you rolled initially, which included the Harvest Dice damage.

I am aware that the pool of damage dice equals your level, thus Twilight Druid 17.

Bloodcloud
2017-08-03, 08:55 AM

12*48 = 576 damage

Nuclear druid has a 1 on 6 chance of eating that magic missile in his own face and the rest bounce on the Tarrasque magic reflective carapace. Also it nows use legendary action to move and kill you. You are now dead.

Edit: wait, thats on Tiamat now? Nevermind then carry on.

Vaz
2017-08-03, 11:47 AM
Nuclear druid has a 1 on 6 chance of eating that magic missile in his own face and the rest bounce on the Tarrasque magic reflective carapace. Also it nows use legendary action to move and kill you. You are now dead.

Edit: wait, thats on Tiamat now? Nevermind then carry on.

You roll when it's targeted by Magic Missile and then you declare when rolling for damage. Ergo, you can cast Shield as a Reaction to ignore Magic Missile.

On average, of course you do of course burn through the slot without damaging it, unless you have someway of guaranteeing rolling a 6 or rerolling non d20's that aren't attacks, saves, or ability checks.

JBPuffin
2017-08-03, 12:20 PM

I read the tweet, too, and I have to say none of my groups knew this. Nifty.

eastmabl
2017-08-03, 12:33 PM
No one uses the Tarrasque correctly. You dont let them fight it in a field hundreds of miles from civilization. You make them stuble upon the Tarrasque while it's sleeping, underground in a cavern just a little bigger than it is, and they just woke it up, roll initiative.

This is commonly the problem with these tarrasque experiments. "I'm going to kite it" doesn't work when the tarrasque is destroying a city.

Mayor: "Aren't you going to do something more than use the same trick over and over again?"
Character: "This is the most effective way to do it."
Mayor: "But our families are dying!"
Character: "He'll get tuckered out soon enough. He'll take a loooong nap."

Vaz
2017-08-03, 12:42 PM
This is commonly the problem with these tarrasque experiments. "I'm going to kite it" doesn't work when the tarrasque is destroying a city.

Mayor: "Aren't you going to do something more than use the same trick over and over again?"

Because the alternative is dying gloriously and the town still being destroyed.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-03, 01:19 PM
I would direct you to this;

Here Crawford states that you roll 1 damage die. Therefore, all of your bolts use the same damage roll. Therefore, all of your bolts use the damage you rolled initially, which included the Harvest Dice damage.

I am aware that the pool of damage dice equals your level, thus Twilight Druid 17.

You are assuming the order of operations of where the harvest dice damage go, though.

You are assuming that it is: ((1d4 + 1) + 9d10) x X = Total

But there is nothing in RAW that states that is the right place to put it. It could just as rightly be: (1d4 + 1) x X + 9d10

I know that no sane DM would ever really allow it anyways, just saying.

SharkForce
2017-08-03, 01:29 PM

yeah, as noted, what exactly do you expect a low level character to do instead? go stand in melee range and use performance proficiency to look more delicious than everyone else so you can pointlessly die?

GlenSmash!
2017-08-03, 01:29 PM
yeah, as noted, what exactly do you expect a low level character to do instead? go stand in melee range and use performance proficiency to look more delicious than everyone else so you can pointlessly die?

Brilliant!

No brains
2017-08-03, 02:17 PM
One clay golem can kill the tarrasque.

If the golem gets swallowed by the tarrasque, it will get healed every round as it punches the tarrasque to death from the inside. The disadvantage from being swallowed actually helps prevent the golem from dealing enough damage to break out.

More golems are merrier as the damage needed to escape is measured per turn. That means each golem can try their hardest on each of their turns and not worry about ruining things for everyone.

If you want to be really evil with this strategy, cast resistance or do something else to the tarrasque to improve its constitution save. It doesn't get a save on the buffs and it can't choose to fail and expel its killer tummy ache.

Other acid-immune creatures can work with this strategy, but they have a harder time surviving the initial attack and are harder to control. Black dragons, black puddings, and mimics are all safer once they've been swallowed. Black puddings are an especially interesting case; if someone could get the pudding to split while it was in the tarrasque's stomach, it would take multiple instances of contact acid damage. That's right. The tarrasque can die from eating black pudding. Don't try it yourself.

sightlessrealit
2017-08-03, 10:13 PM
This Should be fun.

18 Bard Valor/2 Fighter

You go to 18 levels in Bard for Shape change(Sure you could get Wish or Truepolymorph but this is just more fun.

Race: Half Elf

Str 16, Dex 17+1from race + ABS= 20, Con 18 +1 from race + Resilient feat = 20, 16 Int, 18 Wis, Cha 18 + 2 from race= 20

Item's
Very Rare: Belt of Fire Giant Strength Str is now 25
Rare: Sun Blade, Potion of Heroism
Uncommon:3 +1 Longswords

Feats: Warcaster, Resilient for Con, Duel Wielder

Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting

Primary Spell Focus: Shapechange

Shapechange Focus: Marilith

To Hit: Sun Blade +2(Weapon) +7(Str) +6(Pro) +1(Marilith bump) +1d4 = +17-20, +1 Weapons 16-19, Normal 15-18
Damage as Marilith: Sun Blade 2d8+2+7+1= 12-26N -14-34Crt, +1 Weapon 2d8+1+7+1= 11-25N - 13-33Crt, Normal 2d8+7+1= 10-24N - 12-32Crt

With 6 of those attacks(7-12 depending on how your DM factors in extra attack) every turn + the tail swipe & an off hand attack you can quickly melt through a Tarrasque. Not to mention a use of Action Surge. See, you don't need to fly to cheese when you can stand face to face like a real warrior. :D

Squibsallotl
2017-08-03, 10:22 PM
Managed to successfully solo Tiamat, using a Draconic Sorcerer 1 / Devotion Paladin 19:

Protector Aasimar Draconic Sorcerer 1 / Devotion Paladin 19

Studded Leather Armor +3
Shield +3
Holy Avenger +3 (+2d10 damage to fiends, adv on saves)
Periapt of Proof Against Poison
Cloak of Protection +1
Ring of Protection +1

Potion of Heroism (1hr, 10 thp and Bless)
Potion of Invulnerability (1min, resist all damage)
Potion of Speed (1min, Haste)

Feat: Resilient (Dex)

Str 13
Con 12
Dex 20
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 20

Saves:
Str +8, Con +14, Dex +18, Int +6, Wis +7, Cha +18

AC:
28 (30 with Haste, 35 with Shield)

HP:
141 (161 with Aid, 171 with Heroism)

Active effects: Protection from Evil and Good (Purity of Spirit)

Spell slots:
1st: 4, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 3, 4th: 3, 5th: 2

Pre-battle prep:
Cast Death Ward
Cast Aid using 5th level spell slot
Drink Potion of Heroism
Drink Potion of Speed, use extra Haste action to drink Potion of

Invulnerability.

Tiamat Initiative: 4 (4)
Paladin Initiative: 15 (20). Paladin goes first.

Paladin turn 1.
Action: cast Circle of Power
Bonus action: use Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon
Move up to melee range
Haste action: Attack

Roll 6 (25) +1d4 from Bless (2) = 27, hit.
Tiamat takes 60 damage (1d8 weapon + 7d8 improved smite Vs a fiend +

2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex). Tiamat's current HP: 555.

0x 5th and 1x 4th spell slots remaining.

Tiamat legendary action triggers, Black Dragon Head Acid Breath.

Paladin makes Dex save with advantage:
Roll 10, 10 (28) +1d4 from Bless (4) = 32, save. Take no damage due

to Circle of Power.

Tiamat turn 1.
Regenerates 30hp. Tiamat's current HP: 585

Tiamat multiattacks Paladin (with disadvantage due to Protection from

Evil):
Claw 1: 2,14 (21), miss.
Claw 2: 1,12 (20), critical miss.
Tail: 5,19 (24), miss.

Paladin turn 2.
Action: Radiant Soul
Roll 7 (26) +1d4 from Bless (2) = 28, hit.
Tiamat takes 80 damage (1d8 weapon + 7d8 improved smite Vs a fiend +

2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex +20 radiant soul). Tiamat's current HP:

0x 5th and 0x 4th spell slots remaining.

Tiamat legendary action triggers, Blue Dragon Head Lightning Breath.

Roll 7, 16 (34) + 1d4 from Bless (2) = 36, save. Take no damage due

to Circle of Power.

Tiamat turn 2.
Regenerates 30hp. Tiamat's current HP: 535.

Evil):
Claw 1: 10,15 (29), miss.
Claw 2: 18,3 (22), miss.
Tail: 1,17 (20), critical miss.

Paladin turn 3.
Action: Attack (twice due to Extra Attack).
Roll 16, 15. Both hit.
Tiamat takes 130 damage.
(1d8 weapon + 6d8 improved smite Vs a fiend + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5

Dex +20 radiant soul) = 75.

Dex) = 55.

1x 3rd level spell slots remaining.

Tiamat's current HP: 405

Roll 1, critical miss.

Tiamat legendary action triggers, Green Dragon Head Poison Breath.

Paladin is immune due to Periapt of Proof Against Poison.

Tiamat turn 3.
Regenerates 30hp. Tiamat's current HP: 435.

Evil):
Claw 1: 1,15 (20), critical miss.
Claw 2: 18,9 (28), miss.
Tail: 14,2 (21), miss.

Paladin turn 4:
Roll 17, 12. Both hit.
Tiamat takes 125 damage.

(1d8 weapon + 5d8 improved smite Vs a fiend + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5

Dex) = 50.

Roll 18, hit.
Tiamat takes 50 damage.

Tiamat's current HP: 260.

0x 3rd and 1x 2nd level spell slots remaining.

Tiamat legendary action triggers, Red Dragon Head Fire Breath.
16, 9 (34) + 1d4 from Bless (2) = 36, save. Take no damage due to

Circle of Power.

Tiamat turn 4.
Regenerates 30hp. Tiamat's current HP: 290.

Evil):
Claw 1: 15,14 (33), hit. Paladin uses Shield as a reaction to make

attack miss.
Claw 2: 10,4 (23), miss.
Tail: 18,5 (24), miss.

3x 1st and 1x 2nd level spell slots remaining.

Paladin turn 5.
Roll 7,18. Both hit.
Tiamat takes 115 damage.

Dex +20 radiant soul) = 70.
(1d8 weapon + 4d8 improved smite Vs a fiend + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5

Dex) = 45.

Roll 5, + 1d4 from Bless (4) = 28, hit.
Tiamat takes 45 damage.

Tiamat's current HP: 130.

1x 1st level spell slots remaining.

Tiamat legendary action triggers, White Dragon Head Cold Breath.
Roll 11,17 (35), save. Take no damage due to Circle of Power.

Tiamat turn 5.
Regenerates 30hp. Tiamat's current HP: 160

Evil):
Claw 1: 20,16 (35), hit.
Claw 2: 10,19 (29), miss.
Tail: 6,4 (23) miss.

Claw deals 12 damage (halved due to Potion of Invulnerability).

Paladin current HP: 159.

Paladin turn 6.
Roll 11,2. One hit.

Dex +20 radiant soul) = 65.
Tiamat takes 65 damage.

Roll 6, hit.
(1d8 weapon + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex) = 25.
Tiamat takes 25 damage.

Tiamat current HP: 70.

Roll 19, 20. Save. Take no damage due to Circle of Power.

Tiamat turn 6.
Regenerates 30hp. Tiamat's current HP: 100.

Evil):
Claw 1: 6,11 (25), miss.
Claw 2: 12,6 (25), miss.
Tail: 3,16 (22), miss.

Paladin turn 7.
Roll 4, 4. Add 1d4 from Bless (1) to first, and 1d4 (3) to second,

one hit.
Tiamat takes 45 damage.
(1d8 weapon + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex + 20 radiant soul) = 45

Haste action: Attack.
Roll 11, hit.
Tiamat takes 25 damage.

Tiamat current HP: 30.

Roll 1,3. Add +1d4 Bless (2), 23, fail. Paladin takes 44 lightning
damage (halved due to potion of invulnerability). Paladin current HP: 115.

DC22 concentration save to maintain Circle of Power.
Roll 5,10 (25), saved.

Tiamat turn 7.
Regenerates 30hp. Tiamat's current HP: 60.

Evil):
Claw 1: 19,13 (32), hit.
Claw 2: 12,18 (31), hit.
Tail: 17,10 (29), miss.

Paladin takes 24 damage. Paladin's current HP: 91.

Paladin turn 8.
Roll 6, 18. Both hit.
Tiamat takes
(1d8 weapon + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex + 20 radiant soul) = 45.

Tiamat takes 70 damage and dies.

Of note is that the Protector Aasimar's flying speed, doubled due to Haste, also prevents Tiamat from kiting the paladin (Haste bonus action: Dash, can fly 120ft per round and still double attack).

First level of Sorcerer was taken for Con save proficiency and Shield, but may not have been needed. I burn all my spell slots by the end of the battle, but still have a +95hp Lay on Hands up my sleeve to take a few more unlucky hits if needed.

imanidiot
2017-08-04, 01:27 AM

You're supposed to run away. Clearly.

SharkForce
2017-08-04, 02:11 AM
You're supposed to run away. Clearly.

ah, of course. clearly you are so much more likely to help save the city by not killing the tarrasque than you are by trying to kill it as best you can, even if that means you're killing it very slowly...

imanidiot
2017-08-04, 02:20 AM
ah, of course. clearly you are so much more likely to help save the city by not killing the tarrasque than you are by trying to kill it as best you can, even if that means you're killing it very slowly...

If you're low level and anything remotely similar to a Tarrasque shows up you are obviously not supposed to fight it. You aint saving that city.

excommunicated
2017-08-04, 02:26 AM
Managed to successfully solo Tiamat, using a Draconic Sorcerer 1 / Devotion Paladin 19:

Paladin turn 2.
Action: Radiant Soul

Of note is that the Protector Aasimar's flying speed, doubled due to Haste, also prevents Tiamat from kiting the paladin (Haste bonus action: Dash, can fly 120ft per round and still double attack).

First level of Sorcerer was taken for Con save proficiency and Shield, but may not have been needed. I burn all my spell slots by the end of the battle, but still have a +95hp Lay on Hands up my sleeve to take a few more unlucky hits if needed.

What is the 'Radiant Soul' feature you mention? Only one I could find was an UA feature of Warlock that lets you add Charisma bonus to a spell.

Squibsallotl
2017-08-04, 02:47 AM
What is the 'Radiant Soul' feature you mention? Only one I could find was an UA feature of Warlock that lets you add Charisma bonus to a spell.

Protector Aasimar feature from Volo's:

Radiant Soul. Starting at 3rd level, you can use your
action to unleash the divine energy within yourself,
causing your eyes to glimmer and two luminous, incorporeal
wings to sprout from your back.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end
it as a bonus action. During it, you have a flying speed of
30 feet, and once on each of your turns, you can deal extra
radiant damage to one target when you deal damage
to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage
equals your level.
Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you
finish a long rest.

Vaz
2017-08-04, 03:17 AM
If you're low level and anything remotely similar to a Tarrasque shows up you are obviously not supposed to fight it. You aint saving that city.
Maybe not. But you're saving the next city along.

Username checks out.

Zene
2017-08-04, 03:34 AM
Tabaxi Race (Volo's guide) - 30

5 Barbarian for Fast Movement (PHB) - 10

Mobility feat (PHB) - 10

Elk Totem (SCAG)- 15

Boon of speed (DMG) - 30

5 Monk for Unarmored Movement (PHB) - 10

6 Transmuter Wizard for stone (PHB) - 10

Lvl 1 spell: Longstrider (PHB) - 10

Major artifact with speed (DMG) - 10

Total = 135 speed

Tabaxi Feline agility (Volo's guide) - x2 speed for 1 turn

Boots of speed (DMG) - x2 speed for 10 minutes

Lvl 3 spell: Haste - x2 movement speed

135 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 1080 IF STACKING x2

If not stacking...135 speed , 135, 135, 135 = 540

THEN.....

2 Fighter for Action Surge: Dash - +100% movement

Lvl 3 spell: Haste: Dash action - +100% movement

2 Rogue for Cunning action: Dash - +100% movement bonus action

Standard Dash action - +100% movement

1080 x 5 = 5400ft for 1 turn, or roughly 600 Miles per hour run speed....IF stacking the 2x multipliers

or 1080 movement if you only are x2 on the actual base movement ...it comes to about 1080 speed.

So instead of flying...Just run away, and fire some arrows at him with longbow...and continue.....if he gets close to you....run back to where you were firing arrows, scavenge for the arrows that brushed off him....and continue.....

You don't need anywhere near that much movement, do you? Are you trying to solve a different problem?

If you're just trying to maximize speed, don't forget the Eagle Whistle from TYP as well; that will double all of the above one more time, and make it a flying speed.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-04, 05:06 AM

Actually, you are (or at least, some of it). The Sacred Flame method, for example, will on average kill the Tarrasque in around 25 minutes (assuming that it doesn't have an attack of intelligence and run away when it's taken heavy damage - still a win in the 'protect the city scenario'). Certainly, it will deal a lot of damage in that time, but significantly less than if you'd run. And of course, that assumes that the city is being defended by solely by a first level cleric.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-04, 05:35 AM

As Crawford says, RAW, you roll one die for Magic Missile.

With you so far.

Therefore you add your Harvest Dice to that die's damage and then multiply that total by the number of darts you have created.

Nope. Any effect that adds bonus damage to magic missile only affects a given target once, as per Sage Advice:
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/487995399899074560

This is consistent with 5E's elimination of geometric 'stacking' as a mechanic at every opportunity.*

So, if you divided the missiles between multiple targets, the 9th level casting would do the Harvest Dice to each of 11 targets, and you'd wipe out a room full of minions and give the party a mass heal. That's powerful, but I can totally get behind it.

*(It would totally work in 3E. :smallbiggrin:)

Unoriginal
2017-08-04, 10:11 AM
Alright I have several questions, things to say, and calculations to correct:

Active effects: Protection from Evil and Good (Purity of Spirit)

Not sure if Tiamat's immunity to magical effects include this one, but it seems to me it does. But it's not that important so let's say it doesn't.

Roll 6 (25) +1d4 from Bless (2) = 27, hit.

Sorry, I might be slow, but how did you get +19? Pretty sure some of those effects don't stack.

Tiamat takes 60 damage (1d8 weapon + 7d8 improved smite Vs a fiend +

2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex).

4+7x4+2x5+3+5 = 50

Tiamat should have 565 HPs on Paladin turn 1

Roll 10, 10 (28) +1d4 from Bless (4) = 32, save. Take no damage due

to Circle of Power.

Tiamat's Acid Breath is neither a spell nor a magical effect. Circle of Power has no effect on it.

So, your character takes 17 damages

Tiamat takes 80 damage (1d8 weapon + 7d8 improved smite Vs a fiend +

2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex +20 radiant soul)

4+(7x4)+(2x5)+3+5 +20 = 70

Tiamat should have 595-70 =525 at the end of Paladin turn 2

Roll 7, 16 (34) + 1d4 from Bless (2) = 36, save. Take no damage due

to Circle of Power.

Again, CoP doesn't work here. Your character should have taken 22 damages.

Your character should now have 132 HP.

Tiamat takes 130 damage.

Dex) = 55.

4+(6x4)+(2x5)+3+5+20 = 66, 4+(6x4)+(2x5)+3+5= 46, for a total of 112.

On Paladin's turn 3, Tiamat should have 555-112= 443.

Tiamat legendary action triggers, Green Dragon Head Poison Breath.

Paladin is immune due to Periapt of Proof Against Poison.

I would argue that a 26 WIS 26 INT dragon with +17 in both Religion and Arcana and with a passive perception of 36 would be able to identify a "delicate silver chain has a brilliant-cut black gem pendant", even if partially concealed, and so save her breath (or rather, use a different one). But I'm not your DM, so it's their ruling that count.

Tiamat takes 125 damage.

Dex) = 50.

Roll 18, hit.
Tiamat takes 50 damage.

4+(5x4)+(2x5)+3+5+20= 62, 4+(5x4)+(2x5)+3+5 =42, for a total of 146 with the Haste attack.

Which makes Tiamat's HPs be 473-146= 327 on Paladin turn 4.

Tiamat legendary action triggers, Red Dragon Head Fire Breath.
16, 9 (34) + 1d4 from Bless (2) = 36, save. Take no damage due to

Circle of Power.

Your Paladin should have taken 23 damages, being left with a total of 109 HPs

Paladin turn 5.
Roll 7,18. Both hit.
Tiamat takes 115 damage.

Dex +20 radiant soul) = 70.

Dex) = 45.

Roll 5, + 1d4 from Bless (4) = 28, hit.
Tiamat takes 45 damage.

4+(5x4)+(2x5)+3+5+20 = 62

4+(4x4)+(2x5)+3+5 = 38

Total: 138

Tiamat's HPs at the end of Paladin turn 5: 357-138 = 219

Claw deals 12 damage (halved due to Potion of Invulnerability).

Paladin current HP: 159.

Actually 97.

Paladin turn 6.
Roll 11,2. One hit.

Dex +20 radiant soul) = 65.
Tiamat takes 65 damage.

Roll 6, hit.
Tiamat takes 25 damage.

4+16+10+3+5+20 = 58

4+10+3+5= 22, not 25

Total damage: 80

Tiamat should have 239-80 = 159 HPs

Roll 19, 20. Save. Take no damage due to Circle of Power.

Should have taken 17 damages again. 80 HPs for the Paladin.

Paladin turn 7.
Roll 4, 4. Add 1d4 from Bless (1) to first, and 1d4 (3) to second,

one hit.
Tiamat takes 45 damage.
(1d8 weapon + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex + 20 radiant soul) = 45

Haste action: Attack.
Roll 11, hit.
Tiamat takes 25 damage.

4+(2x5)+3+5+20 =42

4+(2x5)+3+5=22

Tiamat's HPs at the end of Paladin turn 7: 189 - 62 = 127

Roll 1,3. Add +1d4 Bless (2), 23, fail. Paladin takes 44 lightning
damage (halved due to potion of invulnerability). Paladin current HP: 115.

Actually 36.

Paladin takes 24 damage. Paladin's current HP: 91.

Actually 12.

Roll 6, 18. Both hit.
Tiamat takes
(1d8 weapon + 2d10+3 holy avenger + 5 Dex + 20 radiant soul) = 45.

4+5+5+3+5+20 =42

4+5+5+3+5=22

Tiamat's HPs at the end of Paladin turn 8: 157 - 64 = 93

So, to recap, at the end of Paladin turn 8 but before Tiamat's Legendary action, you have:

Tiamat's HPs: 93

Paladin's HPs: 12

And while the Paladin could avoid being brought to 0 HPs once, he has no way to cause 93 damages to Tiamat next turn.

Ergo, the Paladin should have died on Round 9, even with Tiamat acting in a very dumb manner.

Except you're using this Haste bonus action to attack a lot, Tiamat kiting would make your Paladin sacrifice a lot of damages. Also: Tiamat, seeing that her melee attacks are inefficient, could easily Dash to stay out of the Paladin's melee range, and then destroy him gradually.

SharkForce
2017-08-04, 01:57 PM
Actually, you are (or at least, some of it). The Sacred Flame method, for example, will on average kill the Tarrasque in around 25 minutes (assuming that it doesn't have an attack of intelligence and run away when it's taken heavy damage - still a win in the 'protect the city scenario'). Certainly, it will deal a lot of damage in that time, but significantly less than if you'd run. And of course, that assumes that the city is being defended by solely by a first level cleric.

yeah, if you have a decent number of people who are reasonably mobile (they have horses, for example) and capable of damaging the tarrasque from range, they can indeed kill the tarrasque. and the more you have, the quicker it will go.

Unoriginal
2017-08-04, 02:02 PM
Could you stop the Tarrasque by using nets/ropes/chains and people mounted on elephants?

imanidiot
2017-08-04, 03:09 PM

Not if your DM reads the rules for jumping you aren't.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-04, 04:14 PM
Not if your DM reads the rules for jumping you aren't.
Au contraire.

When you make a high jump, you leap into the air a number of feet equal to 3+ your strength modifier if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump
The Tarrasque has a strength modifier of +10, and thus can make a high jump of 13 feet.

You can extend your arms half your height above yourself during the jump. Thus, you can reach above you a distance equal to the height of the jump plus 1.5 times your height.
Now, let's be generous and assume this applies to the Tarrasque despite it's comparatively short arms (as shown in the illustration, and it's comparatively short attack reach of 15ft), and that it can actually stand straight up and raise its arms straight up, which the illustration suggests is not the case. The Tarrasque is stated to be fifty feet tall, and thus can reach while jumping to a height of 83 feet... above the ground.

The flyer is not targeting the ground. He is targeting the Tarrasque, specifically at it's highest point (fifty foot above the ground), and is at minimum 60 feet above that, or 110 feet above the ground, well out of the Tarrasque's range. And that's assuming he's not diving and reclimbing on his turn, which could add up to half his movement allowance to his height.

Edit: It is possible the Tarrasque can get somewhat higher by an Athletics check and DM fiat, but it seems ludicrous to suggest this could somehow more than triple its normal jumping height.

imanidiot
2017-08-04, 08:06 PM
Au contraire.

The Tarrasque has a strength modifier of +10, and thus can make a high jump of 13 feet.

Now, let's be generous and assume this applies to the Tarrasque despite it's comparatively short arms (as shown in the illustration, and it's comparatively short attack reach of 15ft), and that it can actually stand straight up and raise its arms straight up, which the illustration suggests is not the case. The Tarrasque is stated to be fifty feet tall, and thus can reach while jumping to a height of 83 feet... above the ground.

The flyer is not targeting the ground. He is targeting the Tarrasque, specifically at it's highest point (fifty foot above the ground), and is at minimum 60 feet above that, or 110 feet above the ground, well out of the Tarrasque's range. And that's assuming he's not diving and reclimbing on his turn, which could add up to half his movement allowance to his height.

Edit: It is possible the Tarrasque can get somewhat higher by an Athletics check and DM fiat, but it seems ludicrous to suggest this could somehow more than triple its normal jumping height.

Ever seen a cat hunt birds? The Tarrasque will crouch down as low as it can get to force you to come lower. Say 25 ft as if it were sqeezing through. You would need to be at 85 ft to attack it. When you attack it leaps upward to grab you, 50ft tall plus 13ft jump plus half of it's height, plus reach is 103ft. If you want to argue that it cant get half it's height and reach despite that being RAW, fine it only gets the half its height. That's still 88ft.

No you can not cheese a 5th level character into killing a cr30 monster. You will die.

Cl0001
2017-08-04, 09:09 PM
Level 20 Vuman champion fighter.
Stats-
Dex-20
Con-20
Wis-20
Nothing else matters

ASIs
Starting feat- sharpshooter
4- Dex/Con 19 -> 20
6- wisdom 17->18 and proficiency in ST
8- wisdom 18->20
10- tough
12- alert
16- magic initiate (bless)
19-lucky

Items-
Oathbow
Broom of flying
Bracers of archery
+1 studded leather
40 +1 arrows

Battle strategy- fly above it, rain arrows on it. You can attack with 14+1d4 40 times at advantage dealing 1d8+3d6+8. 4 times a round, critting on 18-20. It'll be a long fight, but you'd be out of its reach and do a good amount of damage.

Mellack
2017-08-04, 09:39 PM
Ever seen a cat hunt birds? The Tarrasque will crouch down as low as it can get to force you to come lower. Say 25 ft as if it were sqeezing through. You would need to be at 85 ft to attack it. When you attack it leaps upward to grab you, 50ft tall plus 13ft jump plus half of it's height, plus reach is 103ft. If you want to argue that it cant get half it's height and reach despite that being RAW, fine it only gets the half its height. That's still 88ft.

No you can not cheese a 5th level character into killing a cr30 monster. You will die.

It can ready a move OR an attack, not both. So that is stopped by simply doing a half move down to attack then the other half back up. If using an Aaracockra that means 25' down and back up, putting them at 110 feet at the end of each turn. Can't be reached.

imanidiot
2017-08-04, 09:44 PM
It can ready a move OR an attack, not both. So that is stopped by simply doing a half move down to attack then the other half back up. If using an Aaracockra that means 25' down and back up, putting them at 110 feet at the end of each turn. Can't be reached.

You can absolutely use a single action to jump into the air to grab something flying above you. Many animals do it every day. You're tryimg to use an extremely narrow interpretation of the rules to justify a game-breaking nonsense tactic.

Mechaviking
2017-08-04, 10:47 PM
I don´t really have a dog in this fight, but wouldn´t T-dog just bury into the ground and destroy the city from the bottom, it does double damage to structures it should be able to dig itself into a hole and then to the left getting total cover :þ.

Also the Warlock thing won´t work, cause it is immune to eldritch blast(reflective carapace).

Surprised no one has tried to one round it with an assassin, but I guess it is too robust for that :þ

Interesting read nontheless :D

Mellack
2017-08-04, 10:54 PM
You can absolutely use a single action to jump into the air to grab something flying above you. Many animals do it every day. You're tryimg to use an extremely narrow interpretation of the rules to justify a game-breaking nonsense tactic.

D&D is not a simulation. By the rules you can either move (that would be jumping) or attack. Not both. The rules on that are clear.

Then, you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it.
If you are suggesting jumping is not part of movement...

Your movement can include jumping, climbing, and swimming.
The same way my fighter cannot ready a charge and attack is the same way the tarrasque cannot ready a jump and attack.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-05, 06:27 AM

Beyond Mellack's eminently correct objections, you've missed a few things.

1. It needs a 10 foot running start to get the full long jump distance, which it is absolutely not getting even if you somehow get to jump and attack on a readied action (which you don't). Without that, it can only jump 6.5 feet.

2. It doesn't get it's attack reach as well as 1.5 times its height, because that extra half its height is from it reaching in the first place. You don't get to add reach twice, that's not RAW. And even if it were, if we're going by RAW you don't get to make the ready-jump-attack in the first place. This gets the Tarrasque's total attack ceiling to 6.5+(50*1.5)=81.5 feet, which doesn't quite make it.

3. I'm not cheesing a 5th level character into killing a cr30 monster. I'm cheesing a 1st level character into killing a cr30 monster. Were it a 5th level character, it would have picked up Spell Sniper and be hitting from 120 feet above the Tarrasque. Oops, no I wouldn't. Didn't actually need it anyway though.

Beyond RAW, the idea of the Tarrasque doing a cat leap is ridiculous. Have you looked at the illustration? It's a huge lumbering creature, weighing hundreds of tons and carrying around a massive shell. It's not capable of doing that kind of acrobatics, and going by the proportions its arms are too short to reach that far above it even if it could. You're suggesting something about as ridiculous as a T Rex doing backflips.

I don´t really have a dog in this fight, but wouldn´t T-dog just bury into the ground and destroy the city from the bottom, it does double damage to structures it should be able to dig itself into a hole and then to the left getting total cover :þ.

Also the Warlock thing won´t work, cause it is immune to eldritch blast(reflective carapace).

Surprised no one has tried to one round it with an assassin, but I guess it is too robust for that :þ

Interesting read nontheless :D

It doesn't have a burrow speed. I mean, sure, anything can try and dig with its hands, but it would take years for it to dig a tunnel big enough, not to mention that a fifty foot high tunnel would collapse in on itself rather quickly without support.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-05, 07:36 AM
4+7x4+2x5+3+5 = 50

You're rounding down. Average of 1d8 is 4.5, not 4, average of 1d10 is 5.5. So it's 4.5 + 7*4.5 + 2*5.5 + 3 + 5 = 55. He's also wrong though, he's rounding up :smallwink:

I'm not checking everything else properly, but looks like the same problem persists through both of your posts. 5 damage more compared to your calculations, 5 less compared to his.

Unoriginal
2017-08-05, 10:12 AM
You're rounding down. Average of 1d8 is 4.5, not 4, average of 1d10 is 5.5. So it's 4.5 + 7*4.5 + 2*5.5 + 3 + 5 = 55. He's also wrong though, he's rounding up :smallwink:

I'm not checking everything else properly, but looks like the same problem persists through both of your posts. 5 damage more compared to your calculations, 5 less compared to his.

You can check the whole Monster Manual, they always round down the 1d8 damage to be 4 damages on average, and they always round down the 1d10 damage to be 5 on average. Pretty sure the "round down if half" is a rule somewhere in one of the book.

However, it's true they make 2d10 be 11 on average and 2d8 be 9, so my calculations were indeed inaccurate.

So it would be 4+31+11+3+5= 54.

Gtdead
2017-08-05, 11:02 AM
Why are you people so intent in creating a flying character that can attack from afar. We are looking for the godkiller here. Not the wuss with the bow that the tarrasque can just ignore and destroy 4-5 cities before fleeing.

JNAProductions
2017-08-05, 11:15 AM
Honestly, any DM worth their salt will say "Okay, you're flying 60' above the Tarrasque (110' above the ground) and out of his jumping height. He picks up a rock and chucks it at you, hitting AC (rolls 1d20+10 or +19, depending on whether he rules proficiency is added) and dealing (rolls something like 4d12+10) bludgeoning damage."

Mellack
2017-08-05, 11:27 AM
Why are you people so intent in creating a flying character that can attack from afar. We are looking for the godkiller here. Not the wuss with the bow that the tarrasque can just ignore and destroy 4-5 cities before fleeing.

Probably because the OP said that it was "extra credit" for making the character lower level. You can't get lower than level 1.

Mellack
2017-08-05, 11:39 AM
Honestly, any DM worth their salt will say "Okay, you're flying 60' above the Tarrasque (110' above the ground) and out of his jumping height. He picks up a rock and chucks it at you, hitting AC (rolls 1d20+10 or +19, depending on whether he rules proficiency is added) and dealing (rolls something like 4d12+10) bludgeoning damage."

Since it does not have that listed as a specific attack, it would be considered an improvised weapon attack. That means no proficiency bonus, just strength (+10). Range on thrown improvised weapons is 20/60, so it can just reach at disadvantage. Damage for improvised is 1d4, so it does 1d4 +10. If this is allowed, it would require the character to have a longer range attack, such as a magic bow or spell sniper.

Unoriginal
2017-08-05, 11:49 AM

There is nothing "wuss" about using a bow and flying.

But to answer your question, OP asked about the lowest level possible, and the people posting those strategies are trying to prove the Tarrasque can't just ignore them.

Damage for improvised is 1d4

Not when it's a huge boulder.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-05, 12:01 PM
You can check the whole Monster Manual, they always round down the 1d8 damage to be 4 damages on average, and they always round down the 1d10 damage to be 5 on average. Pretty sure the "round down if half" is a rule somewhere in one of the book.

However, it's true they make 2d10 be 11 on average and 2d8 be 9, so my calculations were indeed inaccurate.

So it would be 4+31+11+3+5= 54.

The "average" damage in MM is there to make DM's job easier, though. I'm not aware of a single mention of using it for PC damage, in which case, an actual average would be better for theorycrafting. Not that it wasn't out of the window the moment he started mention actual attack roll results for the paladin and Tiamat, which is why I find it really weird to use "average" damage in the same theorycrafting excercise.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-05, 12:15 PM

As has already been mentioned, even a first level build will probably kill the Tarrasque in under 25 minutes of sustained fire. Higher level ones, of course, will be much quicker. So no, it's not going to be destroying a few cities, it's going to be destroying a block or so. And you can quite easily make something that can maintain pace with it at level 1, and outrun it at level 3 (Aaracockra Clr 1 and Cl1/Rog 2 respectively).

Not when it's a huge boulder. Actually by RAW, yes when it's a huge boulder, or anything else. The improvised weapon rules don't make any consideration for size. Though really, the damage isn't relevant here, the range is what matters. (Not that I'd think the Tarrasque is capable of actually throwing a bolder anyway - look at those arms).

SharkForce
2017-08-05, 12:16 PM
just to clarify something: spell sniper doesn't help. it only works on spells with attack rolls, and spells with attack rolls don't work on the tarrasque.

as to throwing a boulder, so far as i can tell the tarrasque has no thumbs, and giant awkwardly curved claws. which are located underneath it's body, and don't look like they are going to get around it's carapace any time soon. i could probably believe the tarrasque "grabbing" a rock (by sandwiching it between it's hands and arms) and dropping it on someone, but throwing a rock seems improbable. heck, even swinging a rock (except as a controlled drop kind of thing) seems improbable.

it also doesn't help that the tarrasque has an int of 3.

the tarrasque has neither the body nor the mind to be a skilled tool-user like a human.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-05, 12:22 PM
just to clarify something: spell sniper doesn't help. it only works on spells with attack rolls, and spells with attack rolls don't work on the tarrasque. Oops, silly me.

as to throwing a boulder, so far as i can tell the tarrasque has no thumbs, and giant awkwardly curved claws. which are located underneath it's body, and don't look like they are going to get around it's carapace any time soon. i could probably believe the tarrasque "grabbing" a rock (by sandwiching it between it's hands and arms) and dropping it on someone, but throwing a rock seems improbable. heck, even swinging a rock (except as a controlled drop kind of thing) seems improbable.

it also doesn't help that the tarrasque has an int of 3.

the tarrasque has neither the body nor the mind to be a skilled tool-user like a human.

Quite.

JBPuffin
2017-08-05, 04:27 PM
You are assuming the order of operations of where the harvest dice damage go, though.

You are assuming that it is: ((1d4 + 1) + 9d10) x X = Total

But there is nothing in RAW that states that is the right place to put it. It could just as rightly be: (1d4 + 1) x X + 9d10

I know that no sane DM would ever really allow it anyways, just saying.

Ability says, "When you roll damage," so there is RAW support for this (just not as much RAI, hence why you think it's the less likely answer) and with the Sage Advice mention that each bolt does the same damage, I'd be inclined as a DM to give this to him. Honestly, it uses all of their dice in one attack, which doesn't make any sense from a tactical standpoint except for a fight like this, so I don't see a problem. Characters have nova options all the time, Twilight is just an explicitly UA nova ability that leaves a lot of people shaking their heads in awe and disgust...like, seriously, blaster druid couldn't ask for more than that, and really will never have to.

Squibsallotl
2017-08-05, 07:40 PM
Not sure if Tiamat's immunity to magical effects include this one, but it seems to me it does. But it's not that important so let's say it doesn't.

I wouldn't think it did, but this is a good point.

Sorry, I might be slow, but how did you get +19? Pretty sure some of those effects don't stack.

Dex +5, Cha +5 (sacred weapon), proficiency +6, holy avenger +3.

Tiamat's Acid Breath is neither a spell nor a magical effect. Circle of Power has no effect on it.

Ouch, you're right. That's the build breaker, right there.

I would argue that a 26 WIS 26 INT dragon with +17 in both Religion and Arcana and with a passive perception of 36 would be able to identify a "delicate silver chain has a brilliant-cut black gem pendant", even if partially concealed, and so save her breath (or rather, use a different one). But I'm not your DM, so it's their ruling that count.

A valid point as well.

Thank you for your feedback, it's clear this paladin build won't do. I'll have to look into an Evasion style build instead methinks.

Unoriginal
2017-08-06, 05:11 PM
Since it does not have that listed as a specific attack, it would be considered an improvised weapon attack. That means no proficiency bonus, just strength (+10). Range on thrown improvised weapons is 20/60, so it can just reach at disadvantage. Damage for improvised is 1d4, so it does 1d4 +10. If this is allowed, it would require the character to have a longer range attack, such as a magic bow or spell sniper.

Actually it would be an attack without proficiency but with the boulder weapon.

But I'm not sure the Tarrasque is smart enough to use tools anyway.

Chugger
2017-08-07, 05:35 AM
I don't think it's smart enough at 3 int to throw a rock.

I'm sure what I'm about to say fails, but ... Okay, let's say we had an arena with indestructible walls - some sort of roof - the height I'm not sure. The floor I'm not sure - might or might not be important that the floor and ceiling are also indestructible, even by the T.

Character has a moment to prepare, out in the arena, and then, oh, maybe a gate (indestructible) opens to let the T. in.

Call me crazy - or I'm just missing something in the rules - but the T is not immune to cold damage, right? And it is living. So a lvl 9 druid in his undershorts with just his special symbol or an ingred. pouch might be able to kill it.

The druid casts anti-life shell and prays that it keeps it out. Now does it? If the T's claws are long enough, no. Claws made of what is essentially dead biological material should be able to penetrate the shell, but far enough to get the druid? He's "ten feet" inside it (or less, his body occupies some space and comes out from the center). If a claw is 8 feet long it could reach the druid, but if you look at the picture in the MM, I don't think they're that long. A five foot long claw would be 10% of the T's height, and what animal has a claw over 15% as long as it is high? I know it's not an animal, but - just saying.

If the end of the T's tail is a very long bone spike, the druid is dead, but again I don't see that. Also, if you've ever watched someone clip dog claws, there is living matter up inside the claws. So if the T has some sort of "dead" matter on the tip of its tail it could very well have living matter inside that dead matter, very much shortening its reach into the anti-life shell.

So, if the druid is safe inside his antilife shell, how does he kill the T? Frostbite Cantrip. The arena is so small that the T can't get out of range of it. The T will fail its save about 3 times out of 10 against this lvl 9 druid. And the druid does 7 pts of damage each hit. That's 21 points of damage a minute. That's 210 points of damage in ten minutes. That's 630 points of damage in thirty minutes and the Tarasque (T) is almost dead. And the anti-life shell is only halfway through its hour duration. At 676 it dies.

What in the heck is a line spell? I just Googled it. No help.

Oh, problem. It has advantage on saves. The level nine druid can only kill it if he rolls insanely well on his damage rolls, which odds are he won't do. We need a lvl 10 druid who can refresh anti-life shell and get 2 hr duration. Or can druids read scrolls? If we can give him a scroll that does it, then a lvl 9 can do it. But what in the heck is a line spell? If frostbite is one, it's affected by the T's special shell and the druid's dead, and I just typed a buncha words for nothing! Also I may not understand antilife shell - I'm only recently returned to dnd and have spent very little time studying higher level spells and monsters (my chars are still low lvl). Hey, I tried. (well a druid multi that can shoot arrows and a source of _many_ magic arrows might work - I think the early posts had damage sources that might work but I'm tired and have forgotten them - as long as anti-life works I bet there's a way to damage it enough to kill it within 2 hours, if it can't run away)

(edit - its horns might kill the druid - if it tries to roll onto the druid and the spikes on its back have no living matter in them - it could kill the druid - but - horns and horn-like spikes in things like cows and antelopes and rhinos - and tusks like on elephants - have a living matter core. So again the Tarrasque needs about 8' of penetration to reach the druid, unless I'm getting something wrong here)

Worldwander1010
2017-08-07, 12:59 PM
Level 20 Vuman champion fighter.
Stats-
Dex-20
Con-20
Wis-20
Nothing else matters

ASIs
Starting feat- sharpshooter
4- Dex/Con 19 -> 20
6- wisdom 17->18 and proficiency in ST
8- wisdom 18->20
10- tough
12- alert
16- magic initiate (bless)
19-lucky

Items-
Oathbow
Broom of flying
Bracers of archery
+1 studded leather
40 +1 arrows

Battle strategy- fly above it, rain arrows on it. You can attack with 14+1d4 40 times at advantage dealing 1d8+3d6+8. 4 times a round, critting on 18-20. It'll be a long fight, but you'd be out of its reach and do a good amount of damage.

Well sonny, a lvl 20 fighter will do nice, but what about a Fighter battlemaster 10/Rogue assassin 7/Ranger hunter 3 with a potion of speed, a +1 longbow/2 +1 crossbows, and a few Ioun stones of reserve pre filled with hunter's mark?
I already calculated damage too.

So pop the speed pot, stay just ahead of the tarrasque or hide from it, and hit the sucjer for an average of 192 damage (1d8 longbow + 4d6 rogue + 1d8 colossus slayer + 1d10 pushing attack). On max damage that becomes 304 damage. On a crit the average is 384 per round, and the maximum is 608.
Hunter's mark adds a measly 1d6, but is nice to have.

The build has fighting style archery, is a variant human with the sharpshooter feat with stats like this:
Str 17 + 1 + 2 = 20
Dex 18 + 2 + manual of = 22
Con 17 + 1 = 18
Int 18
Wis 16 + 2 + 2 = 20
Cha 16
(+2 is all from level based stat increases, the +1 from human variant).

He has a +14 to hit, not including advantages gained or a surprise round.

And his name is...Warlock, in keeping with traditions.
(Hunter named warlock, monk named ranger, archer named bard, etc;.)

Vaz
2017-08-07, 01:03 PM
Level 17 Wizard (or any class with access to the combo) Plane Shift+Gate

Unoriginal
2017-08-07, 01:16 PM
The build has fighting style archery, is a variant human with the sharpshooter feat with stats like this:
Str 17 + 1 + 2 = 20
Dex 18 + 2 + manual of = 22
Con 17 + 1 = 18
Int 18
Wis 16 + 2 + 2 = 20
Cha 16
(+2 is all from level based stat increases, the +1 from human variant).

How the hell are you getting those stats?

JNAProductions
2017-08-07, 01:20 PM

He rolled well? Perfect for theorycrafting! :P

Mellack
2017-08-07, 02:49 PM

From the starting post

*starting stats are 18, 18, 17, 17, 16, 16 You may also use one tome or one manual of your choice.

Worldwander1010
2017-08-07, 03:45 PM
He rolled well? Perfect for theorycrafting! :P

Well I went with what the OP specified.
Two 18s, two 17s, and two 16s, 1 very rare magical item, 2 rare, 3 uncommon, any common.
Went to level 20 because that was the max.

JNAProductions
2017-08-07, 03:48 PM
Forgot about that.

In which case, all is well.

Chugger
2017-08-08, 12:05 AM
Hey! One of you smart people get off yer lazy duffs and tell me why my antilife shell frosbite gambit is wrong! I assume it can't work, but I wanna know why.

Oh okay................................please, tell me why it's wrong (it's back a bit). Thanks.

Kane0
2017-08-08, 12:56 AM
Level 5 Warlock with the Maddening Hex invocation.

Holy hell. I seriously did a double take. Is it really that simple?

Antilife shell + Frostbite
Yep, checks out. As long as big T can't reach in far enough of that 10' radius to get at you you're free to plink it to death with a cantrip. It has advantage on saves but hey, you have time to burn. Acid splash and Sacred Flame would work much better on account of the lower Dex saves.

Chugger
2017-08-08, 02:11 AM
Holy hell. I seriously did a double take. Is it really that simple?

Yep, checks out. As long as big T can't reach in far enough of that 10' radius to get at you you're free to plink it to death with a cantrip. It has advantage on saves but hey, you have time to burn. Acid splash and Sacred Flame would work much better on account of the lower Dex saves.

Woot! Thanks!

(it's immune to fire iirc - and I think acid - why I picked frostbite)

JackPhoenix
2017-08-08, 04:07 AM
Level 1 commoner, race and stats don't really matter, with one uncommon and one rare item. Make this: https://trickarrow.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/arrowoftotaldestruction.gif?w=720 Shoot it near the Tarrasque. You don't even have to hit. Sure, the tarrasque isn't dead, but it's also not your problem anymore.

Vozen
2017-08-08, 01:48 PM
Just spit-balling here and I'm not an expert in rules, but...

...could you not just one-shot it with a Monks Quivering Palm?

Vaz
2017-08-08, 02:50 PM
Just spit-balling here and I'm not an expert in rules, but...

...could you not just one-shot it with a Monks Quivering Palm?
Legendary Resistance. And you get grappled and swallowed in return.

SharkForce
2017-08-08, 03:39 PM
Woot! Thanks!

(it's immune to fire iirc - and I think acid - why I picked frostbite)

sacred flame deals radiant damage ;)