PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying whats your Role

Nosta
2017-08-02, 08:35 PM
what Roll IN the game do you usually find your self playing
I ask cause I know I have a bad habit of going back to Melee centric builds.

I was going to play a Hawk-guard warder in a pathfinder sand box type game cause I thought CMB Checks from a range attack sounded cool. But Alas I Caved and Built a Blade-caster cause I like
the idea of sword skills and Magic combined

so I ask what Roll do you normally fall back on
or what roll feels more comfortable to you?

rel
2017-08-02, 08:47 PM
Support I guess. I don't have a set 'role' but I play casters almost exclusively these days.

EvulOne
2017-08-02, 08:47 PM
I tend to be a front line melee fighter.

Allitra
2017-08-02, 09:24 PM
I'm still finding my role. Though I lean more towards wizard (utility/control) than anything. Currently playing a 5e moon druid and I'm enjoying tanking with supplemental casting.

Dancingdeath
2017-08-02, 10:28 PM
I usually end up playing a Cleric. Healing is my minor role, being broken powerful with DMM/Persist is my primary role. I role play the characters very well as stereotypical hero types. I love it.

TheTrickster
2017-08-02, 11:18 PM
I usually play an arcane spell caster, or a rogue-like character; Something like wizard, bards, factotums, etc. In my group, we usually have one or two players who love to optimize fighter-type characters, so I usually don't bother playing those kinds of adventurers. My group also sees the Cleric as a walking first-aid kit (and nothing else), so I usually don't get to play those as often, either.

CharonsHelper
2017-08-02, 11:26 PM
I always make sure that I'm durable enough to lead the way without dying horribly and at least a bit of problem solving.

I hate those moments when everyone is just sitting around...

Party Member A: "I don't know what to do. Where should we go?"

Party Member B: "We could go... I don't know."

Me: "I open the door and walk though. Good thing I have a high AC, maxed Perception, and +11 to all saves!"

Therefore I often play things like tanky bards, monks, paladins, and dragon disciples.

Calthropstu
2017-08-02, 11:59 PM
Summoners, minionmancers, diplomancers... I like to play walking armies. You wanna pick a fight with me, you will first have to wade through piles of minions.

... I think I might be a villian.

Azoth
2017-08-03, 12:36 AM
I usually play some type of Gish or dual progression build. In 3.5 I loved my Unseen Seer builds, Swiftblades, RKV, Illithid Slayer, and JPM. In Pathfinder depending on if 3rd party is allowed or not depends on if I am abusing Bladecaster, Awakened Blade, ect or if I am doing horrible things like Ftr1/Wiz5/HKS4/EK10 or Clr2/Wiz1/MT2/SE2/Eva10/MT+3.

There is just something appealing about being able to hide the fact you can alter reality on a whim. It is like, "I could summon a horde of Solars to slaughter you, but I'd rather get my hands dirty."

Afgncaap5
2017-08-03, 12:56 AM
Generally a Skill Monkey or Arcane Caster. Problem solver.

On the roleplay side of things, I have an unfortunate tendency to gravitate toward the optimistic snarker style of character. Attempts to roleplay as something else have either been un-fun for me, or it quickly became apparent that it wasn't enjoyable for other people.

Luccan
2017-08-03, 03:21 AM
Recently, face/stealth. But in the past, I just played a lot of casters without regards to filling a role.

Kaleph
2017-08-03, 05:47 AM
I play a lot of gishes, possibly with a large amount of skills and occasionally trapfinding (so I can occupy the rogue's slot). Skills and melee are the baseline, while spells or psionic powers tend to either buff what I can already do, or provide fast solutions to situational problems. I try not to overlap with primary casters.

When I'm tired of gishes a play a primary caster instead - mainly battlefield control and utility.

Tamorlin
2017-08-03, 06:22 AM
I play God more often than not.

Footman
2017-08-03, 06:45 AM
I tend to be a either Front line Fighter clad in Heavy Armor who trys to Protect the squishies, (and failes Miserably at that since the Enemys drop the Squishies faster than i can kill them), or I play some sort of Archer, turreting down Enemies by the Dozen. Sometimes i play a Support, but i don't like that role and only play it, when i have a Character Concept/Personality that i really really wanna try out.

Bonzai
2017-08-03, 11:21 AM
I play all kinds of classes. Usually my role in group tends to be the note taker/plot wrangler. We played a bunch pre-written mods where at of the group got bored or couldn't care less about the plot. I was usually the one who reminded them why our characters were doing what they were doing and would help push the plot along.

Eldariel
2017-08-03, 11:35 AM
Usually the guy who can tell the laws of physics to shut up and sit down. Whether I also wield a sword, a bow, a polearm, a bottle of burning oil or just a book, a holy symbol or a mistletoe is immaterial: usually I prefer to have the option of hacking reality to work slightly in our favour for a change. Bonus points for having underlings do the heavy lifting for me, or take some load off me when I do prefer to get my own hands dirty. I do like to be the last option and not meddle unless needed, and pull out all the stops only when all hell really breaks loose. I want to be the bottomless reserve.

Though I do play everything and I like to build in a way that makes sense for the given world, the given party, and the given character's personality. Everything depends on what I happen to want and what happens to suit the circumstances of the given game or party or world. But e.g. in a generic Pathfinder Society game where I have to accommodate a mixed bag of more or less useless characters I tend to prefer to have the reserves to pull out when the going gets rough.

manyslayer
2017-08-03, 11:50 AM
Generally someone able to stand up in melee.

There are two of us in my group (myself and one other player) that usually take the face character.

That said, my last 3.5 character was a very non-combat oriented archivist with no charisma to speak of. So, not really tied into a certain type.

Elkad
2017-08-03, 12:10 PM
Whatever the party needs, as long as it isn't the Face. I'm introverted enough I don't even like roleplaying a guy who isn't. Yelling tactical commands at my teammates? Sure. Negotiating a treaty, or even bargaining for a better price on a horse? Nope.

I'll always have an Int of at least 12. Again a roleplay consideration. I can roleplay a character who is weaker than me-the-player (or clumsier, if that's even possible).
I don't know how to roleplay being stupid, so I feel like I'm cheating at any Int lower than 16. I set myself a hard cutoff at 12, and even there I feel like I should be saying "duh hur hur, I dunno" to any question involving anything more complicated than working the buckles on my armor.

Goaty14
2017-08-03, 09:07 PM
The Grapplemancer currently favoring druids over others, but the PrC "Master of Many Forms" is incredibly alluring.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-08-03, 10:58 PM
Whether as a caster or not, I love two things above all: protecting my friends and countering my enemies' intended big moments.

So lots of interrupt abilities and buff/debuff stuff.

Also, lots of options. I'm addicted to versatility in games because as the "mom player" described above I feel bad if a situation passes without my having contributed in some small way to my group's success (or at least the mood).

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-03, 11:02 PM
what Roll IN the game do you usually find your self playing
I ask cause I know I have a bad habit of going back to Melee centric builds.

I was going to play a Hawk-guard warder in a pathfinder sand box type game cause I thought CMB Checks from a range attack sounded cool. But Alas I Caved and Built a Blade-caster cause I like
the idea of sword skills and Magic combined

so I ask what Roll do you normally fall back on
or what roll feels more comfortable to you?

I normally DM.

Karl Aegis
2017-08-04, 07:33 AM
Usually some sort of high mobility build that can see things and then kill them.

Seto
2017-08-04, 09:36 AM
I have a tendency to play mobile, DEX-based melee combatants. Sometimes with gish-y elements as well.

Amphetryon
2017-08-04, 09:55 AM
Usually some type of Gish focusing on debuffing opponents. This often comes with a side of Knowledge focus on something under-represented in the rest of the party.

Pleh
2017-08-05, 10:11 AM
I'm usually stealthy with tactical support emphasis. I like having a steady diplomacy check, but not so much as a face/leader role as much as I like to have alternative tools than combat.

I tend to be a cautious adventurer, so even when I don't build for stealth, I end up playing it that way.

But I also don't like being squishy and relying on stealth (it fails too often, even with dedicated builds). I like having a melee-ready chassis and/or spell list as a backup.

The most common alternative to hiding for me is healbot cleric. For these characters, I mostly focus on strict party support with a side of good aligned roleplaying. Just being a more pascifist oriented character and take my part in combat on a more as-needed basis.

King539
2017-08-05, 10:44 AM
I like gishes. I enjoy going into melee combat and surviving there, but I also enjoy the options of a spellcaster.

flappeercraft
2017-08-05, 11:03 AM
I like Gishes for the most part, same for pure arcane casters and just straight fighter.

Buufreak
2017-08-05, 11:41 AM
I normally DM.

Same. I've DM'd so often I forget the last time I PC'd.

Sho
2017-08-05, 11:53 AM
I enjoy DotA2 a lot, so I'll use terms which are used in it that are synonymous with most table-top and MMO terminology.

Characters I tend to play fit within these roles:

Bruiser/Durable
Carry (Melee)

Additionally, some may have one or more other qualities or roles that include these as a bonus:

Carry (Ranged)
Control/Tank
Utility (Arcane)
Utility (Divine)
Utility (Psionics)
Utility (Skills)

By and large, I enjoy Gish characters (whether arcane/divine/psionics) the most, typically in combination with initiator classes (ToB/PoW).

Blackhawk748
2017-08-05, 01:06 PM
Typically i play the Beastick, seconding to Rogueish characters and thirding to Sorcerers.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-05, 01:57 PM
I am good at playing a ranged glass cannons(I love the Master Thrower base Rouge with DEX focus).

I am now trying to play the tank and the support, Hope I will be able to make it my new roles.

Hiro Quester
2017-08-05, 01:59 PM
Options. I like having options.

We have a group of 6 players, but most games someone cannot play. I usually design my character to be able to fill in as tank, healer, blaster, buffer, BFC. Whatever we don't have enough of that day.

So usually I play a gish-type with magic, but also melee abilities. Running out of spells doesn't suck so badly if you are buffed and ready to "get your hands (or claws) dirty"

Right now playing a wildshaping kung-fu druid. BFC, buffing and frontline damage-dealer. (Also backup healer, and part-time face; not because I have a high CHA, but because I usually pay more attention to the overall plot than does our sorcerer).

Previously played a buff-persisting, action-economy abusing, snowflake wardancing, bard/sublime chord (face, buffer, melee, in that order). I primarily buffed myself into nigh-invulnerability at the beginning of the day, and buffed the party at beginning of encounters, then "wardanced" into melee, singing my head off. But also blasted, dispelled, debuffed enemies, too, when necessary.

IcarusWulfe
2017-08-05, 03:22 PM
I tend to play caster types, usually with a bent towards BFC and crafting as well as the "party quartermaster"

Hackulator
2017-08-05, 03:30 PM
Charisma based characters, cause I talk a lot. Honestly my favorite change from 2e to 3.x was that charisma was no longer ****ing useless.

Even when I play low charisma characters, they often THINK they have high charisma and get themselves into lots of trouble as a result, which is equally fun.

Alent
2017-08-05, 03:36 PM
DM, because nobody else is up to it right now. :smallfrown:

When I play I'm usually the skillmonkey. I usually prefer to bard, but any caster of decent utility and skill points will do. If I play a bruiser it'll usually be some flavor of Gish that has enough utility to squeeze in some skillmonkey stunts on the side as I facetank or summon-tank.

I'm also the party Animal Handler, which I've never heard of being a designated player role. (I think designating the role is probably unique to our table.) We like to make use of animals when and where practical. You never know when a pack of Riding Direbats, a group of Riding Dogs with saddlebags, a burrowing creature for making tunnels, or a dozen housecats trained to kite zombies into enemy fortifications are going to come in handy! :smallamused:

martixy
2017-08-05, 09:11 PM
Been front-liner/skill monkey/support/primary caster at various points.

Also in various combinations.

I don't tend to go for primary casters, as those roles are usually filled by friends and it's kinda easy mode anyway. I enjoy finicky builds.

I suppose the one universal trait is that like 90% of my characters have high intelligence(I can only think of one where Int wasn't a primary statistic).

bean illus
2017-08-05, 11:34 PM
Spy. Int based rogue gish. Maybe cloistered with trickery and magic if the table needs it, but still as a spy.

I tend to plot delve, and the way i get around the whatplot folks is face the npc, gather info sub plots, non detection rolls.

I can role high cha or wis, but do int easier.

If not spy then face or support. I have played dex combat anarchists revolutionaries. That's fun.