PDA

View Full Version : I need a really epic but dangerous flaw for my warlock

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-02, 08:37 PM
So my character, Raloth the Zealot, is a celestial warlock who grew up as an acolyte in the church of (insert deity here) and was training to become a cleric. However he saw what the church was doing and saw preaching and converting people was a waste of power. He also wasnt devoted enough to his god to be able to cast divine spells. Raloth then made a secret bargain with an angel to gain power. He then used the churches resources to learn abyssal, celestial, and infernal so he could understand the non mortal beings. He then used his new languages and powers to inflitrate demon cults and wipe them out. However the church soon realized he was not a cleric as they thought he was and they branded him a zealot and seared a brand into his face of the symbol of their deity and the clerics of the church will stop at nothing to hunt and kill them because they believe due to the fact hes a warlock and can speak to demons hes evil. Thats my rough backstory so far, hes chaotic good and hes human. I want him to have a dangerous ans interesting flaw. Something that shows that he would burn the world to save it.

LibraryOgre
2017-08-03, 11:52 AM
Instead of the brand of a holy symbol, make it a "broken" brand of a holy symbol. The original Unearthed Arcana had a spell, Ceremony, which included a high-level option to Anathematize someone... mark them out as disfavored by the church. Something similar happened in Salvatore's Cleric Quintet, and instead of a candle above an open eye, the anathema was marked with a broken candle above a closed eye... so all would know he's anathema.

That alone... being branded as a heretic by a powerful and good church... could have severe social implications.

Berenger
2017-08-03, 11:56 AM
If they wanted to kill him, why didn't they just do so after they succeeded in capturing him for branding?

Also, why is being a zealot seen as a bad thing by an obviously militant church?

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-03, 02:25 PM
If they wanted to kill him, why didn't they just do so after they succeeded in capturing him for branding?

Also, why is being a zealot seen as a bad thing by an obviously militant church?

1. He totally got away, and i guess he'd technically be a heretic since he worships angels and not the gods himself, still working on the backstory, the one above is just some word vomit i wrote out really quickly.

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-03, 02:31 PM
Instead of the brand of a holy symbol, make it a "broken" brand of a holy symbol. The original Unearthed Arcana had a spell, Ceremony, which included a high-level option to Anathematize someone... mark them out as disfavored by the church. Something similar happened in Salvatore's Cleric Quintet, and instead of a candle above an open eye, the anathema was marked with a broken candle above a closed eye... so all would know he's anathema.

That alone... being branded as a heretic by a powerful and good church... could have severe social implications.

I will make it a broken holy symbol cuz that sounds super cool!