PDA

View Full Version : DM Help how to deal with a boring player?

pastaskamisama
2017-08-02, 09:55 PM
I'm hispanic so my english is probably not so good.

I'm DMing a 5e campaign about a lich king sieging a city with a horde of undead and demons, my players currently are exploring the catacomb where the lich awoke, their party is: a paladin, a wizard, a ranger, a bard and a rogue, all of them had been great exept for the paladin who dosen't seem to be interested in the game at all, we play online because we all live way too far from each other and this paladin always has his microfone muted, never knows what to do, we often skip his turn because he simply won't answer wich can be a real pain in a combat since it can get real boring if you wait a lot for someone who just says "i roll my attack".

since we are playing online someone else is interested in the campaign, he has a character alredy made and he seems eager to play.

Should i kick out the paladin and let the new guy in?

Potato_Priest
2017-08-02, 10:18 PM
Should i kick out the paladin and let the new guy in?

I'd say yes, assuming it won't screw up your real-life relationship with the guy (if any)

If that's a concern, talk to him about it before you kick him out, and explain your reasoning. If he wants to stay and resolves to do better, give him another shot, but he honestly might not care from the sound of it.

furby076
2017-08-02, 10:24 PM
Ask him why he is disengaged? If he doesnt like the game it may be mutual for you both to separate from each other. But yea,,plenty of games and players

polymphus
2017-08-02, 10:31 PM
Before kicking him, you want to find out why he's not engaging. It might that he really doesn't care, or maybe he loves it but he's just not very confident, or maybe he's got other stuff going on in his life and he's having trouble focusing. It's really hard to call this sorta thing without consulting with the player.

Kane0
2017-08-02, 10:39 PM
See if you can have a word with him in private and find out why he's not particulating much. There are so many potential reasons for it, it's impossible to guess.

But if he really isn't enjoying himself then it would probably be best to let him go. Why play a game if you don't have fun?

kraftcheese
2017-08-02, 10:42 PM
Yeah I'd just say have a chat with him. Open with something like "I've noticed that you've been disengaged while we've been playing; are you enjoying the game?"

Just be friendly and conversational.

Specter
2017-08-02, 11:29 PM
When in doubt, kick 'em, especially if they don't know him in person. Worst case scenario, he'll ask to come back and change. Best case scenario, you'll never hear from him again.

SVamp
2017-08-03, 12:03 AM
I don't think you have to play baby sitter. If he has a problem it's his responsibility to seek help.

If you want to be super nice talk to him first by all means, but if you don't have the time, kick him, replace him with someone who really wants to be there.

The only thing worse than a bad player is a weak leader that will let him or her ruin the game for everyone else. As a DM you're the leader.

Shakart
2017-08-03, 12:12 AM
De donde sos? soy de argentina y me interesaria jugar d&d 5 online

Gastronomie
2017-08-03, 04:58 AM
If I were you I'd prolly first ask him if he wants to stay, and unless he comes up with a really good answer, proceed to kick him out.

Hooligan
2017-08-03, 05:12 AM
Yes, but kill his character first.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-03, 05:37 AM
Old school answer:
Make him fall from Paladin-hood.

:smallamused: