PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Large Scale PBP Roleplay

IronArm
2017-08-03, 12:23 AM
While I was in high school, I was a part of a large PBP based off Final Fantasy Tactics. I've seen lots of small scale (4-6 players), but I'm looking for a large scale one.

The FFT had 40-50+ players and had a 10 or so GMs to run it. This was back in 2006-2007 and has since died. I been searching for a while, but I haven't been able to find any large scale ones.

Does anyone know where I can find something like this again? I don't care the genre, just enjoyed that type of PBP roleplay and looking for that experience again.

Thank you

IronArm
2017-09-10, 09:22 PM
Bump. Still looking to see if there is anything like this still around.

Lacco
2017-09-11, 06:07 AM
En Garde games tend to be this - however, no idea where to find one except for google magic.

I always wanted PbP game which would be a mix of En Garde with Shadowrun (or En Garde in Underdark) - politicking, planning of actions and moving on real city map to see who meets whom.

However, no time to do so - and certainly not alone.

Eldan
2017-09-11, 06:13 AM
The largest games I've seen on this site were the Total War games that ran up to 20-ish players. Those were as much strategy games as RPGs, though, or more so. Week-long terms, the roleplaying often mostly done by secret meetings between leaders or propaganda broadcasts.

I certainly wouldn't want to try PBP with 50 players. Synchronization issues would be a nightmare, even with multiple DMs.

Lacco
2017-09-11, 07:08 AM
I have no knowledge about FFG, and only basic knowledge of Total War games here on the forum.

I have been a part of Blood Bowl Manager Cup - and it was certainly fun, but still small-scale.

It could possibly work, but:
- you would need GMs with good scheduling and who WANT to play exactly what you want, and are able to herd cats,
- a rules-light system that can be mostly automated, and provides possible "did not post order"
- support for roleplaying on personal level (e.g. PMs between players or Discord),
- players who accept "Weekly News" format of description and make their own "content",
- system with little to no additional worldbuilding necessary (players know the world/can make reasonable assumption/can find information they need).

I have tried, in past, to make an En Garde games work with my friends, but found running it without automated support for most things rather difficult. Worked much better when I had some excel sheets with macros that worked for me.

What could work - but not really as PbP as it includes snail mail - would be De Profundis.

Faily
2017-09-11, 01:02 PM
The FallenAsh Community (https://www.patreon.com/canary) generally runs Legend of the Five Rings pbp-games, but have the past years expanded to include FFG's Star Wars and the Song of Ice and Fire RPG. The latter is the current active game, Tourney At Ashford (http://ashford.fallenash.com/index.php).

The Patreon page gets updated occassionally with info on games, but the current active game-forum is usually the best way to know what's coming. We also have a Discord channel. L5R is our biggest draw and sometimes draw up to 50+ players.

Games are run in cycles, meaning that one game might run from January to February (4-5 weeks) with one IC-day lasting for a number of 3 Real Life-days. Then usually there will be a break-period before another game starts. Some games are one-shots, but the majority are games in on-going "campaigns", with each campaign having approximately 1 game each year. The longest running campaign, Hollow Throne (an L5R-campaign), has been running since 2011 and usually run its games in the spring.

FreddyNoNose
2017-09-11, 04:16 PM
En Garde games tend to be this - however, no idea where to find one except for google magic.

I always wanted PbP game which would be a mix of En Garde with Shadowrun (or En Garde in Underdark) - politicking, planning of actions and moving on real city map to see who meets whom.

However, no time to do so - and certainly not alone.

http://www.engarde.co.uk/games.html