PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #329 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-07-06, 10:01 PM
New comic is up.

Sneak
2006-07-06, 10:02 PM
Woot! Comic!

Haha...Encyclopedia Belkarrica...I'm sure that's a classic in the making.

EDIT: And the obligatory 'Woot! First post!'

verloren
2006-07-06, 10:06 PM
Encyclopedia Belkarrica.

Everything that Belkar knows. sounds like a short book to me.

Taren
2006-07-06, 10:06 PM
Sweet! I'm on the first page!

Heh, this comic rocked...foreshadowing, Belkar possibly dying, and a likably Kobold...what more could you want?

KuH
2006-07-06, 10:07 PM
Wow - what a great deal. Unlimited answers!! Just goes to show why oracles need protection.

Incidentally, I'm impressed with the mind-reading abilities that Belkar shows.

Oblivion
Wow, that was unexpected! Funny, but in a weird unexplainable way... :P

Edit: I was so excited to make first page that I messed up all my spelling. Oh and by the way... woot! ;D

Edit2: Can't even spell woot... :-/

NEO|Phyte
KOBOLD ^_^

and clarification on OtOoPCs action

Sneak
2006-07-06, 10:08 PM
Encyclopedia Belkarrica.

Everything that Belkar knows. sounds like a short book to me.

Oh, no, it wouldn't be short. I'm sure Belkar could write 12 chapters on creative ways to cut a man's jugular.

rchiang
2006-07-06, 10:10 PM
It's a better "visit to the Oracle" sequence than any of "The Matrix" movies.

-Ray

Evik
2006-07-06, 10:13 PM
Hurt me if you must...but, Let the Duckie Go!
LOL Hilarious!

Edit: WOOT! 1st page again :D

faeline
2006-07-06, 10:15 PM
That's why, violence solves everything in the D&D world. Muahahahahahha

Idiotbox90
2006-07-06, 10:16 PM
That was unexpected.

StarWidget
2006-07-06, 10:19 PM
"I was good."

classic.

Awesome strip, I feel the plot picking up speed. ;)

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 10:20 PM
This was just bizarre! I did like the lollipop though.

Tanikova
I can just imagine the creativity Belkar could come up with in pursueding the kobold... if he thought Roy and Durkon were persuasive,,,,

Skyserpent
KOBOLDS ROCK!

Edit: ARG! Just missed the first page!

Roland St. Jude
Strange, but funny. Multiple funny bits from "I was good" to the bath time thing to the hanging out the window scene to the duckie bit. There's a lot of funny packed into this one.

I also just realized how much I like The Giant's rendering of kobolds. Very stylistic.

HypnoticMonk
2006-07-06, 10:24 PM
lol as always ... damn just missed that ever-so-juicy first page...

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 10:26 PM
Actually I changed my mind. Instead of the lollipop I think Roy's response to the doctor's story was my favorite part. Reminds me of computer RPG's like Baldur's gate when you can just end conversations in the middle of what someone is saying if you get bored.

Seneca
2006-07-06, 10:26 PM
Damn, best I can do is 3rd page.

Itdano
2006-07-06, 10:27 PM
Hooray for 2nd page!

"Hurt me if you must, but let the duckie go."

I rofled.

TinSoldier
2006-07-06, 10:29 PM
Gaaah! Save me from lame oots comics! (*runs screaming from the thread...*)

(*runs back*) Who are you and what have you done with Rich Burlew??

(I know, I know he's been busy with the convention and paying work ::) )

LordOfNarf
2006-07-06, 10:29 PM
Very, Persuasive

And I don't think that predicting Belkars short and fast life is and form of fortune telling, its just common sense

great Job Giant!

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 10:30 PM
Damn, best I can do is 3rd page.

hate to add insult to injury but you're on the second page

Nekkira
2006-07-06, 10:32 PM
The Oracle better be talkative or Belkar will have a new kobold skull hat!

LordOfNarf
2006-07-06, 10:32 PM
The Oracle better be talkative or Belkar will have a new kobold skull hat!

Speaking of, what happened to the old one?

hyikim
2006-07-06, 10:33 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! i try to give up oots for one sec to make an avatar, and i miss first page!!!

GREAT comic!

yay 2nd page?

Gunslinger47
2006-07-06, 10:34 PM
This still doesn't quite explain Durkon's "tha oracle was most helpful when ye prodded her properly" line. In fact, it makes things more confusing. How did they remember holding the oracle out the window?

Was the second question "What would it take to convince you to give us a third question?" :)

Korta
2006-07-06, 10:35 PM
Yay!
I'm happy to hear they all get one question from the Oracle... looking forward to hearing some of those questions (and answers!) (crosses her fingers)

p.s...I'm particularly fond of the fact that the Oracle can't even predict when a good time for bathtime is...

fwiffo
2006-07-06, 10:45 PM
This one didn't work for me. The banter was good, the plot advancement was good too, but the punchline didn't really even come close to the hilarious absurdity of previous strip. I think if the IRA line or cake line was used at the end, it would've been better.

But, hey, there are likely people for whom the last strip didn't work and this one did. So, it all evens out

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 10:45 PM
By the way what is IRA? I know it stands for Irish Republican Army or something but I'm guessing that's not what the strip refers to.

Vroomfondel
2006-07-06, 10:47 PM
So...is the "let the duckie go" line a reference to the "put down the duckie" song from Sesame Street? Or am I just making up childhood memories and/or drawing unintended connections to them?

fwiffo
2006-07-06, 10:47 PM
By the way what is IRA? I know it stands for Irish Republican Army or something but I'm guessing that's not what the strip refers to.

You can tell in context (or look it up). It is Individual Retirement Account - a self-directed pension plan in USA. The implication is that Belkar will not reach retirement age.

Felinoid
2006-07-06, 10:48 PM
Quite a surprise about it being a kobold; we were all wondering whether it was a man or a woman and you pull out a monster of indeterminate sex. Nice bait and switch, Rich.

I really hope Belkar gets to have some fun. ;D

One thing that I noticed is that when the kobold is hanging out the window, his robes become purple. But then in the next frame, he's wearing a bathrobe again? ???

EDIT: D'oh. Flashback, of course.

Speaking of, what happened to the old one?

Belkar shoots ... he scores! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=75)

Bookman
2006-07-06, 10:50 PM
So...is the "let the duckie go" line a reference to the "put down the duckie" song from Sesame Street? Or am I just making up childhood memories and/or drawing unintended connections to them?

Haha I doubt it's a reference but just an awesome coincidence! There is a song like that though :P [reminise]All about playing the saxaphone and how you can't do it while holding a duck........ahhhhh memories

Anyways sweet comic! Wonder what the questions will be......

Kontonshin
Aww... the Oracle is cute. I love his little duckie, and the shower cap.

This wasn't gut-bustingly funny, but it was very cute. So does the undead heart-checker give out lollipops based on the character's WIS score?

[edit - W00t! Page 3!]

humanpylon
You can tell in context (or look it up). It is Individual Retirement Account - a self-directed pension plan in USA. The implication is that Belkar will not reach retirement age.

Gotcha. I'm Canadian so for us it's CPP. Canadian Pension Plan. Which may or may not still be around by the time I retire.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 10:54 PM
Ermmm, wait a second here. We know Roy is Lawful Good, Durkon seems to be even more Lawful Good than Roy, and they are hanging a guy outside a window to get additional answers when he's not even charging anything for the first?

This seems to me to be rather chaotic and far into neutral and heading for the next stage up.

This 'really' rubs me the wrong way.

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 10:56 PM
Ermmm, wait a second here. We know Roy is Lawful Good, Durkon seems to be even more Lawful Good than Roy, and they are hanging a guy outside a window to get additional answers when he's not even charging anything for the first?

This seems to me to be rather chaotic and far into neutral and heading for the next stage up.

I guess it's for the greater good of the quest (looking at it from roy's eyes). Plus it's a kobold so I guess they figured nobody would care if they roughed it up.

fwiffo
2006-07-06, 11:02 PM
Gotcha. I'm Canadian so for us it's CPP. Canadian Pension Plan. Which may or may not still be around by the time I retire.

Judging from what I see in Wikipedia, it is a different plan. Whereas CPP is mandatory and partially funded, IRA is fully funded personal account, up to the individual to maintain or not maintain. US does have the similar plan to CPP, but IRA is not it.

Which I guess at this point has little to do with the comic, except that contribution to IRA are completely voluntary. So, Belkar has a choice not to contribute a single gold piece to it if he knows he will not live long - which is what Oracle is hinting at.

Seffbasilisk
2006-07-06, 11:03 PM
You were pursuasive...

hahahaha! ;D

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-06, 11:03 PM
Ha! So thats how they 'prodded her right' the last time (in OtOoPCs). This was a much better comic than the last one, great job.

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 11:04 PM
Judging from what I see in Wikipedia, it is a different plan. Whereas CPP is mandatory and partially funded, IRA is fully funded personal account, up to the individual to maintain or not maintain. US does have the similar plan to CPP, but IRA is not it.

Which I guess at this point has little to do with the comic, except that contribution to IRA are completely voluntary.

Oh ok, so it's more like RRSP, Registered Retirement Savings Plan. Thanks!

Brother_Hood
2006-07-06, 11:06 PM
Loved it! You have to keep Belkar, the strip wouldn't be funny without him.

Edit: Highest Page so far for me! :D

charik
2006-07-06, 11:09 PM
I'm glad I'm not the first to point this out. I've had CG characters who would have done evil acts for the greater good. But LG characters tormenting someone to get more answers than they are legitimately entitled to?

Overall, though, I really enjoyed this one. I don't care that the last panel isn't notably funnier than all the others. I'd rather have the comic be funny throughout instead of it being a long build up to a single joke.

wolf_mage
2006-07-06, 11:10 PM
Gaaah! Save me from lame oots comics! (*runs screaming from the thread...*)

(*runs back*) Who are you and what have you done with Rich Burlew??

(I know, I know he's been busy with the convention and paying work ::) )
I think I've figured it out. The Test of the heart/body/mind is actually on the readers - that is, to see if their hearts will remain steadfast in the face of such utterly craptastic strips...

Come on, Rich. It's a dungeons and dragons comic strip. Plotline or no plotline. There are already more than enough comics in existence with lame puns and random jokes. Why I read OotS - hell, why I read any given comic strip, book, [etc] - is because of its specialty. You don't have to return to the rules-joke-of-the-day format (as you said, you've run out of ideas for that), but come on... you can do better than this. At least be funny.

I bet the next comic has a "why did the chicken cross the road" joke...

Peptuck
2006-07-06, 11:13 PM

Humor > Logic/Alignment.

Additionally, the duckie comment reminds me of one of my favorite lines of all time:

"Make a move and the bunny gets it."

Aerysil1
2006-07-06, 11:13 PM
I had a hard time believing Durkon could participate in a physical threat against an all-seeing Oracle *snif*

TinSoldier
2006-07-06, 11:15 PM
Wolfmage: Lame puns and random jokes are okay with me. When they're funny.

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 11:15 PM
I'm glad I'm not the first to point this out. I've had CG characters who would have done evil acts for the greater good. But LG characters tormenting someone to get more answers than they are legitimately entitled to?

Well hypothetically if they didn't get what they needed with the first two (which wouldn't surprise me given our heroes ineptitude) they may have concluded that since taking out Zykon was a good act a slightly baddish act was ok for the greater good. Plus it's a crappy little kobold. I'm sure there have been a few "good" players that have roughed up the odd kobold to get information. :D

Irulan
2006-07-06, 11:18 PM
OK I have never posted before... But I have just got to comment.

today's comic has just topped my list of all time favorites.

very funny and (as always) totally worth waiting for.

:D

Ing
2006-07-06, 11:21 PM
question is...does Roy's question(s) count agianst them already?

wolf_mage
2006-07-06, 11:22 PM
Wolfmage: Lame puns and random jokes are okay with me. When they're funny.
Which, by virtue of them being "lame" (by hypothesis), they aren't.

EDIT: Also, I should clarify that I meant "miscellaneous" when I said 'random humor' (not, say, 'frenetic' or 'crazy' humor).

humanpylon
2006-07-06, 11:23 PM
question is...does Roy's question(s) count agianst them already?

ooooh didn't think about that! That would suck so much ass.

Zaruthustran
2006-07-06, 11:24 PM
Dare I say...

Best Strip Ever?

This one was great right from panel 1. Funny, funy, funny.

Good job, The Giant!

Kanashimi
2006-07-06, 11:24 PM
Awesome. another funny one.

TheWanderingLlama
2006-07-06, 11:25 PM
I found this one very "meh." Elan in the first panel brought a smile to my face, then it kind of went downhill.

EmeraldFire
2006-07-06, 11:27 PM
hehehe, "Hurt me if you must, but let the duckie go" nice

wally_c
2006-07-06, 11:28 PM
I found it quite funny. :P

Mr._Wilson
2006-07-06, 11:32 PM
My girlfriend collects Rubber Duckies. She literally has thousands of them. She'd appreciate that punchline.

I dunno. I thought the strip was funny, but to each his or her own.

BTW, it was great meeting you at Origins Giant. You look much younger than what your avatar makes you out to look like.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-07-06, 11:37 PM
ROTFL!! I LOVE IT!!!

I also like the way Rich has been cutting to the chase in the last few strips. I hope it's a trend that continues.

Top of page 5. Whee. (unexcitedly plays with party favor) ;D

Durin
2006-07-06, 11:48 PM
good comic Rich, I wonder what Haley's question will be

Arin
2006-07-06, 11:55 PM
Dear Rich,

For some ungodly reason, this particular issue seems to be generating a few more and louder complaints from the peanut gallery. Not really sure why, I actually thought this was one of your better ones, but, eh, I guess my sense of humor is off-kilter at times. Anyway, I would like to formally apologize to you for those posters, and reiterate that the majority of your readers sincerely appreciate your efforts to make the world a better place by freely sharing your talents and your time with us. Mind you, I'm not apologizing for their disgruntledness, or even that they chose to express it - how can we ever get better at our crafts if we don't get constructive criticism on occasion? But their delivery, in my opinion, has been whiny and ungrateful and totally insensitive to the fact that they receive these gifts freely from you. It was enough that I felt you should know that most of us, even when we see a "bad" comic, recognize that your effort and energy are poured into every installment, and that we appreciate it.

So thanks, Mr. Giant, for being who you are and doing what you do. :)

Arin

P.S. Like the others, I'm curious about your explination for Roy and Durkon's out-of-alignment behaviour, mostly because I suspect it's a mistake and I like to see how a truly good DM spins the P.R. on those sorts of things, as I make about 10 mistakes a session in my campaigns. :) Or maybe I'm not giving you enough credit there...? Dun dun DUN!

scotty4fun
2006-07-06, 11:57 PM
Long time lurker and first time poster.

This is the best OOTS comic in quite some time.

Reasons:

1. I enjoy just about any contribution from Elan. The "I was good" quote is about as typical a reaction as one would expect from Elan's childlike nature. I love that Elan is excited about getting a lollipop. A more jaded D&D player would maybe view this as not enough treasure or reward for what is admittedly a minimal encounter. Belkar, for example would likely throw the lollipop on the ground and stomp on it in disgust at the paltry offering for his time and effort. Unless of course it was a lollipop he recognized as particularly fine given his abililty as a connoisseur of all things cullinary. This type of subtle character development is one of the aspects of OOTS that keeps me coming back day after day to check out whats new.

2. Todays comic has a self contained narrative that works well with a minimal requirement to refer back or forward to other comics.

3. I love foreshadowing as a plot device. The hint about Belkar's possible demise introduces an element of suspense that works wonderfully on its own in this particular installment and will contribute very nicely to the overall story.

firepup
2006-07-07, 12:08 AM
loved the comic, the 'i was good' comment is hilarious.

theKOT
2006-07-07, 12:17 AM
This still smells of the Giant having retconned....
But it was funny. 7 outta ten.

Kinneus
2006-07-07, 12:18 AM
Wow. Not being particularly "Lawfuil Good", are we, Roy?

Mr._Blinky
2006-07-07, 12:21 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!! Best in a while! Kobolds are the best race of all time (hence the avatar <-----).

Who wants to bet Elan will accidentally waste his on something stupid, but be perfectly happy with it?

charik
2006-07-07, 12:26 AM
good comic Rich, I wonder what Haley's question will be
Juvpu frperg qb V unir gb erirny fb V pna trg zl fcrnpu onpx?

Krytha
2006-07-07, 12:28 AM
hahaha I think Belkar keeps forgetting that he's got a mark on his head... although Roy might let this one go cuz he looks pretty annoyed...

TinSoldier
2006-07-07, 12:30 AM
Juvpu frperg qb V unir gb erirny fb V pna trg zl fcrnpu onpx?Now that's funnier than the comic
;D

auron_the_awesome
2006-07-07, 12:33 AM
The part with Belkar at the end just made me laugh out loud. I dunno why; I think I just enjoy a bit of evil from time to time...

Go Belkar! Squeeze as much info out of him as you can! ;D

Gralamin
2006-07-07, 12:37 AM
That was awesome

KOBOLD POWER!!!

bluish_wolf
2006-07-07, 12:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Retirement_Account

Brett Wong
2006-07-07, 12:51 AM
HAHAHAH lol rubber duckie, i laughed so hard i cried ;D :'( ;D

Solara
2006-07-07, 12:55 AM
Dear Rich,

For some ungodly reason, this particular issue seems to be generating a few more and louder complaints from the peanut gallery. Not really sure why, I actually thought this was one of your better ones, but, eh, I guess my sense of humor is off-kilter at times. Anyway, I would like to formally apologize to you for those posters, and reiterate that the majority of your readers sincerely appreciate your efforts to make the world a better place by freely sharing your talents and your time with us. Mind you, I'm not apologizing for their disgruntledness, or even that they chose to express it - how can we ever get better at our crafts if we don't get constructive criticism on occasion? But their delivery, in my opinion, has been whiny and ungrateful and totally insensitive to the fact that they receive these gifts freely from you. It was enough that I felt you should know that most of us, even when we see a "bad" comic, recognize that your effort and energy are poured into every installment, and that we appreciate it.

So thanks, Mr. Giant, for being who you are and doing what you do. :)

Arin

P.S. Like the others, I'm curious about your explination for Roy and Durkon's out-of-alignment behaviour, mostly because I suspect it's a mistake and I like to see how a truly good DM spins the P.R. on those sorts of things, as I make about 10 mistakes a session in my campaigns. :) Or maybe I'm not giving you enough credit there...? Dun dun DUN!

I too was surprised at all the rudeness and whining and was going to post about it, but you basically just said everything I was going to say.

As for your last question (Ah, it's been so long since the Miko days, I find I can actually stomach an alignment argument again, how refreshing...) wouldn't it be okay to threaten an evil creature to get information about stopping an even eviler lich?

Refresh my memory - kobolds are usually evil, right? Or at any rate this one was hanging out with the undead. Speaking of which... "but now that you've fulfilled your story purpose, I have no further interest in speaking to you any longer." LOL, I've had players do that before, (usually followed by the NPCs messy death, especially if it was some typical evil minion...) and like a previous poster said, it reminds me of my own attitude in certain RPGs. :D

chesch
2006-07-07, 12:55 AM
But how is the Oracle going to answer Haley's question?

Elftist
2006-07-07, 12:59 AM
I am also surprised by some of the comments about this post.

I thought that was the funniest opening panel to an OOTS strip yet, and I enjoyed the rest as well.

Nice job, Rich.

Kaerou
2006-07-07, 01:29 AM
Squeeee, the Kobold is adorably cute! ^_^ *huggles him*

Kish
2006-07-07, 01:38 AM
wouldn't it be okay to threaten an evil creature to get information about stopping an even eviler lich?

Refresh my memory - kobolds are usually evil, right?
An argument worthy of Belkar.

Vargtass
2006-07-07, 02:21 AM
Can't believe I'm first to quote:

"Rubber Ducky, you're the one,
You make bathtime lots of fun,
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you;

Woo woo be doo

Rubber Ducky, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Ducky, you're my very best friend, it's true!

Doo doo doo doo, doo doo

Every day when I
Make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rub-a-dub-a-dubby!

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber ducky, I'm awfully fond of you.

Every day when I
Make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber ducky, I'm awfully fond of -
Rubber ducky, I'd like a whole pond of -
Rubber ducky I'm awfully fond of you!

Doo doo, be doo"

from Sesame Street, starring Ernie. Allegedly the first hit of the Muppets (claimed by Kermit the Frog in the Muppets' 30-year celebration).

Antina
2006-07-07, 02:31 AM
I think I've figured it out. The Test of the heart/body/mind is actually on the readers - that is, to see if their hearts will remain steadfast in the face of such utterly craptastic strips...

Come on, Rich. It's a dungeons and dragons comic strip. Plotline or no plotline. There are already more than enough comics in existence with lame puns and random jokes. Why I read OotS - hell, why I read any given comic strip, book, [etc] - is because of its specialty. You don't have to return to the rules-joke-of-the-day format (as you said, you've run out of ideas for that), but come on... you can do better than this. At least be funny.

I bet the next comic has a "why did the chicken cross the road" joke...

In a comic book I ´d smile and just turn the page.

I have to admit: You got a point there!

But: It´s still a "for free" web comic and this forum is hosted by rich.
So be careful what to write or he´ll "threaten" us again to close it down...

He seems to really can´t stand it beeing criticised.

LostInBrittany
2006-07-07, 03:00 AM
Once again, and IMHO, the critic is not the problem, the problem is the rudeness...

You can say "I haven't liked the strip, and I would like to see OOTS returning to a more D&Dish theme" and nobody would take it bad.

But if you say "Comic is lame, last stripos are lame, and you're an oversensitive needy author that cannot stand criticism", then you're rude ans you risk to piss off lots of people.

I wonder why some people cannot see the difference...

Anyways, I liked a lot today's strip :)

kerberos
2006-07-07, 03:06 AM
That's why, violence solves everything in the [...] world. Muahahahahahha
Edited for accuracy. MUHAHAHA!

Antina
2006-07-07, 03:08 AM
Once again, and IMHO, the critic is not the problem, the problem is the rudeness...

You can say "I haven't liked the strip, and I would like to see OOTS returning to a more D&Dish theme" and nobody would take it bad.

But if you say "Comic is lame, last stripos are lame, and you're an oversensitive needy author that cannot stand criticism", then you're rude ans you risk to piss off lots of people.

I wonder why some people cannot see the difference...

Anyways, I liked a lot this strip :)

Well - must have something to do with "native" and "not native talkers".
I didn´t find wolf_mages statement "rude" or insulting of some kind.
But that´s always the trouble with written things - you don´t get the tone it´s written in ...

So well - if I should have stepped on somebodys toes: Sorry ::)

And we obviously "always liked the strip" too, that´s why we talk about it.

LostInBrittany
2006-07-07, 03:18 AM
Well - must have something to do with "native" and "not native talkers".

I didn´t find wolf_mages statement "rude" or insulting of some kind.
But that´s always the trouble with written things - you don´t get the tone it´s written in ...

So well - if I should have stepped on somebodys toes: Sorry ::)

I'm in the "non-native" category, so my judgement is not very trustworthy.

And I didn't say it specifically about Wolf_mage comment, I didn't find it particulary rude or insulting.

I said it about the "Giant dislike criticism" statement in your post and in come other posts last times.

IMHO, Rich dislikes rude criticism or insulting criticism, as most people. But I haven't seen any evidence yet of him disliking constructive or simple polite criticism.

And, of course, you didn't step on anybody toes, at least not on mine.

And we obviously "always liked the strip" too, that´s why we talk about it.
What I wanted to say was that I liked a lot today strip :)

warmachine
2006-07-07, 03:19 AM
This is more like it.

Wow! The Oracle has all that money and knows so much but doesn't have the sense to employ bodyguards or keep his mouth shut.

Behold_the_Void
2006-07-07, 03:19 AM
I found this strip rather amusing, as I have found most of the more recent strips (aside from the plot-intensive ones, which I've liked for other reasons).

Also, I don't necessarily think that dangling the kobold is outside of Roy's alignment. He's not exactly the most patient of people, as we all recall. I remember in the 3.0 DM's Guide they used an example for a Lawful Good character who was really greedy and could be convinced to steal something if he could justify it to himself, but still retain his alignment for the most part. Alignment's not set in stone and all that.

Ravens_Wing
2006-07-07, 03:21 AM
lol that was good.. a little uncharacter istic for Roy and Durkon but even good guys have to intimidate some times...oh i know mabey they were doin the good pc bad pc bit. lol

roy- you will answer a 3rd question or else!

durkon- you really ought to do as he asks laddy i can'a control em.

que kobolt hanging out the window!

see its all an act!

lol still great strip!

battleburn
2006-07-07, 04:20 AM
Do we really have to get the discussion going again?
Kobolds are evil, but that doesn't make it ok to torture them. He didn't do anything evil so there is no justification.
I do agree though that Roy and Durkon were just playing the "good cop, bad cop" act. Although this is outside of 'the book' and therefore a chaotic act. Whether Chaotic Lawfull or Chaotic Neutrell. I don't know.

Sorry about the awfull spelling

Drascin
2006-07-07, 04:46 AM
Very funny. Loved the Encyclopedia Belkarrica :). Gotta get me one of those.

Also, about the alignments, remember that Roy is a LG Fighter, not a paladin. A single act against his alignment does not turn him into CG or anything of the sort. Besides, he's good, but has proved to have a short temper, and, listening to the Oracle, I can see how the little kobold could have got on his nerves enough to subject him to such treatment ;).

Vampire_Boy
2006-07-07, 04:50 AM
Ah, finally the comic is returning to its awesome best - after the torturous times of having to suffer Miko's simply nauseating presence and the subsequent Haley's relationship angst, the OoTS is going back to its roots. That is awesome to see, indeed.

Oh, and kobolds are cute.

Oh, and the alignment whiners are not. ;)

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-07-07, 04:59 AM
Pay no attention to the kobold behind the curtain!

Wow! The Oracle has all that money and knows so much but doesn't have the sense to employ bodyguards or keep his mouth shut.
Sort of like Lex Luthor in Smallville. I think the kobold's even bald, too.
Short-sightedness is a benchmark of villains and divine beings....
Perhaps the kobold got dangled out the window for something he said that set Roy off....?

Castamir
2006-07-07, 05:10 AM
Also, about the alignments, remember that Roy is a LG Fighter, not a paladin. A single act against his alignment does not turn him into CG or anything of the sort. Besides, he's good, but has proved to have a short temper, and, listening to the Oracle, I can see how the little kobold could have got on his nerves enough to subject him to such treatment ;).
Once, a group of bandits ambushed our party. After the combat, only the leader is left alive, and we interrogate him:
[me] I put the tip of my sword to his navel, and rotate a bit, asking: "who sent you against us?".
[GM] The bandit leader says they're just bandits and it's not any of our f.... business.
[me] I press a bit harder, and keep rotating the sword.
[GM] The bandit leader spits in your face, saying no one sent them.
[me] I push harder and keep rotating.
[GM] The bandit leader expires.
[me] I keep rotating the sword, just for fun.
[GM] Er, wait, wasn't your character Neutral Good?
[me] Uhm, right.
[GM] Yeah, it was.

(needless to say, I reached CE in just a few more sessions)

SixOfSpades
2006-07-07, 05:16 AM
Long-time reader, first-time poster, and what was it, you ask, that made me finally buckle down and register?

Rich drew two boots the same size. Look at the second frame! Haley's boots are nearly identical! This must be a first! Check Rich--is he all right?

aurickandrien
2006-07-07, 05:37 AM

Yeah, I got a bit lost there too. I was like - "Belkar is funding his own Irish Republican Army? Belkar is Irish?" Of course that didn't mesh that well with the rest of the strip. :P

BTW, I don't know that it foreshadows Belkar's death so much more than it signifies the fact that the Kobold wants to majorly annoy the halfling. :)

Freelance Henchman
2006-07-07, 05:45 AM
"I was good" :-)

Dark
2006-07-07, 06:08 AM
Well... I don't know the details of their first trip to the oracle, but they might have had reason to believe they were entitled to three questions. That makes the "roughing up" just contract enforcement. Very Lawful.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-07-07, 06:09 AM
When I saw the Kobold first, I thought he has some strange gray, curley hair - which looks a bit like the Oracle in Matrix. But then I realised it was just a bathing cap.

Have you seen? Elan's a candy? He behaved well!

Mr_Shrubber
2006-07-07, 07:29 AM
When I saw the Kobold first, I thought he has some strange gray, curley hair - which looks a bit like the Oracle in Matrix.
I like to think this is not entirely coincidental. ;D

By the way, to all those who asked what IRA stands for in the comic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Retirement_Account

It's a yank thing, apparently.

EDIT: Cookie to Fwiffo for beating me to it.

Maelin
2006-07-07, 07:46 AM
I've a couple of things to say.

Firstly, to Rich: Awesome strip. I don't often laugh aloud at things on the internet, but Roy and Durkon hanging the Oracle out the window, especially Durkon's angry face peeking out the corner, just made me burst into laughter. Several other things in the comic brought a smile, too. This is one of my favourites.

Secondly, to the people seriously worried about the alignment issues: It's a humourous webcomic. Consistency bows to humour. Ridiculously anal people like you are the reason D&D has such a reputation for being played by losers. Far out, get a freaking hobby or something.

Thirdly, to the people complaining that the strip was lame and such: Rack off, and find another webcomic. When you start paying money for a service, then, maybe, you can be rude to the people when they don't deliver what you want. You'll still be being a jerk, but at least you'll be being a jerk about something you conceivably have the right to be a jerk about. Otherwise, you can damn well be polite when commenting on things someone else put time and effort into and offered to you for free.

And finally, to everyone who is polite and has a sense of perspective, even if they don't particularly like this strip: High five! You guys are what saves the internet from being a horrible horrible place. :) Kudos to you for being intelligent, well-mannered people.

Maelin

Delgarde
2006-07-07, 08:20 AM
Also, about the alignments, remember that Roy is a LG Fighter, not a paladin. A single act against his alignment does not turn him into CG or anything of the sort.

That's the case for all characters, paladins included. The thing with paladins is that while a single act won't change their alignment, it *may* cost them access to divine powers until they make up for it.

Besides, he's good, but has proved to have a short temper, and, listening to the Oracle, I can see how the little kobold could have got on his nerves enough to subject him to such treatment ;).

Since kobolds seem to be universally portrayed as annoying, yeah, I'd say that's probably right.

Vivli
2006-07-07, 08:23 AM
I very rarely post in these comic discussions, and I honestly can't believe some people openly insulting the strips. Constructive criticism is one thing, but that's another. Especially when you get these strips for free for your enjoyment, you're in no real position to complain.

Anyway, I thought it was a great strip, and haven't noticed any change in quality lately, the strips have been as good as they always where.

Did nobody else get the big Red Dwarf referance in this by the way? That show had a scene where they encounter a computer than can predict a future, and it predicts a character will die of a heart attack after hearing the news he's going to die of a heart attack (which he does).

At least, I assume that was a referance to that.

Mercutio01
2006-07-07, 08:31 AM
Nice to see Roy and Belkar have something in common.

Aegeus
2006-07-07, 08:43 AM
But Roy already asked the oracle 2 questions :P.

Gnorosch
2006-07-07, 08:45 AM
I liked Elan's "I was good". And it was funny to see Haley's face when he said it. She seemed happy to.

Glorfindel
2006-07-07, 08:56 AM
Great comic again!

Otterella
2006-07-07, 09:01 AM
I'm getting tired of people using "it's free" to justify why they don't complain. I pay money to buy Harry Potter books or Discworld books, but when the story doesn't go how I want it to, I still don't write to J.K. Rowling and tell her how to write her story, or to Terry Pratchett. I look forward to the next book, and buy that one, too.

I respect storytellers' right to tell the stories THEY want. If you don't like the story, write your own. Charge people, don't charge people, it doesn't matter. Unless someone is specifically commissioning you to tell THEIR story, tell it the way you want to, no matter how much it costs your audience to read it. And if people complain about it, then they're just being selfish and jealous of your talent.

[/rant]

And wouldn't the evil act be to actually DROP the oracle? I don't see much evil about just threatening too. I mean, if the oracle can't even predict when to take a bath, obviously his predictive ability only extends to the bigger picture things. Would he really know that you're not the type to actually do it? So the threat is effective, but not really evil.

Swashbuckler
2006-07-07, 09:01 AM
Let the Ducky go!!

;D ;D ;D

Absolutely hilarious!

Elcaz
2006-07-07, 09:05 AM
The first and last panels I enjoyed the most, with Elan and his lollypop and the oracle's punchline.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-07-07, 09:21 AM
Once, a group of bandits ambushed our party. After the combat, only the leader is left alive, and we interrogate him:
[me] I put the tip of my sword to his navel, and rotate a bit, asking: "who sent you against us?".
[GM] The bandit leader says they're just bandits and it's not any of our f.... business.
[me] I press a bit harder, and keep rotating the sword.
[GM] The bandit leader spits in your face, saying no one sent them.
[me] I push harder and keep rotating.
[GM] The bandit leader expires.
[me] I keep rotating the sword, just for fun.
[GM] Er, wait, wasn't your character Neutral Good?
[me] Uhm, right.
[GM] Yeah, it was.

(needless to say, I reached CE in just a few more sessions)

We had a similar situation two weeks ago. (Note: We play a RPG-system without alignment)
During a rescue mission into the dark lands (ruled by evil mages and demons), a femal magic healer interrogated a slave trader in order to find about the whereabouts of her companions, who had been sold to slavery.
As a disguise, she pretended to be send from a mage school of magic healing to buy new slaves. Despite the fact she knew, that slaves are used at this school for in vivo examinations wich they never survive, she bought a pregnant woman and shipped her to the magic school.

As the magic healer worshiped a peaceful goddess of birth and life, her D&D alignment would be LG. So, one of the players said:
"Be happy, that we don't play D&D! Otherwise, your alignment would be Lawful evil now!"

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-07-07, 10:21 AM
I haven't read the comic discussion posts lately, so the fact that there are people who haven't thought the last few comics were AWESOME is rather shocking to me...

That said, hahahaha. For some reason I really liked Roy's apathy to an NPC who has fulfilled his story purpose XD And the oracle's face really pulled off "noble and self-sacrificing", just by eyes and tilted neck, that's awesome. Also: everything else in this strip.

orcmonk89
2006-07-07, 10:29 AM
Hehe. The oracle is a kobold. Hilarious. Love it!

Another good one Rich. 'It was good!'

Zann
2006-07-07, 10:43 AM
Isn't it 'Encyclopaedia'?

DomaDoma
2006-07-07, 11:10 AM
Feh, pretentious affectation.

fwiffo
2006-07-07, 11:12 AM
Isn't it 'Encyclopaedia'?

Strictly speaking, it is Encyclopædia, if I take it from Britannica's site. I am not sure what the heck that mutant siamese twin letter is, but that is what they use.

But that's only in British. In American, it is encyclopedia. No point in putting extra "how do I spell the darn thing" obstacles to those who seek knowledge.

Eeeek...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86

Maelin
2006-07-07, 11:32 AM
From Wikipedia's article 'Encyclopedia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopedia) (Note 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopedia#_note-0)):

Owing to differences in British and American English orthographic conventions, the spellings encyclopaedia and encyclopedia both see common use, in British-/Commonwealth- and American-influenced sources, respectively. The spelling encyclopædia – with the æ ligature – was frequently used in the 19th century and is increasingly rare, although it is retained in product titles such as Encyclopædia Britannica and others. The Oxford English Dictionary and Webster's Third New International Dictionary record both spellings: the former (1989) notes the æ would be obsolete except that it is preserved in works that have Latin titles, while the latter (1961-2002) notes that the digraph is rare in the U.S. Similarly, cyclopaedia and cyclopedia are rarely used truncations of the word originating in the early 17th century.

Maelin

Otterella
2006-07-07, 11:32 AM
(Totally Off Topic)

Our friendly Brits will find this interesting. In general, I prefer the British spelling where it differs from the American. (i.e. Encyclopaedia, favourite, programme, etc). On an exam, I received a B+ instead of an A. The prof's comment was "I would have given you an A, except for your spelling errors." I am an excellent speller. I looked through the whole exam. Not ONE error. The only "error" she had marked was the word "attourney", which IS an accepted correct spelling in America, even though it is rarely used. I probably could have fought for it, but I couldn't be bothered.

Maelin
2006-07-07, 11:59 AM
Heh, that reminds me of back in high school, when I did a research assignment on something or other for my Chemistry class.

When we got our results, it was on a little piece of paper with all the marking criteria on it in a table, and ticks in the right places to show how many points we got for each aspect. One of the criteria was, I kid you not,

Speeling and grammer

Maelin

jmucchiello
2006-07-07, 12:35 PM
SPOILER WARNING (I suppose)

Nyy bs gurz.

HabbakukUnknown
2006-07-07, 12:39 PM
I love that- Just let Duckie go- sheer genius

Alfryd
2006-07-07, 01:22 PM
New comic is up.
Very good.

Hmm. So life for Belkar will be nasty, brutish, and short. Much like him. I suppose there is a certain grim satisfaction to the prospect.

We know Roy is Lawful Good, Durkon seems to be even more Lawful Good than Roy, and they are hanging a guy outside a window to get additional answers when he's not even charging anything for the first?
Greater or lesser evil. And one unlawful act does not a chaotic character make.

Kobolds are evil, but that doesn't make it ok to torture them. He didn't do anything evil so there is no justification.
Ah, Lawful Stupid.

The banter was good, the plot advancement was good too, but the punchline didn't really even come close to the hilarious absurdity of previous strip.
I dunno. The last one seemed a little overwrought to me.

Why I read OotS - hell, why I read any given comic strip, book, [etc] - is because of its specialty...
You are a little behind the times, my friend. Rich abandoned exclusive reliance on D&D-related humour well before strip 100.

I also like the way Rich has been cutting to the chase in the last few strips. I hope it's a trend that continues.
Tentatively agreed.

For some ungodly reason, this particular issue seems to be generating a few more and louder complaints from the peanut gallery. Not really sure why, I actually thought this was one of your better ones...
We're thrilled you approve.

...after the torturous times of having to suffer Miko's simply nauseating presence...
When mutual jerkdom wasn't causing her and the OotS to attempt to slaughter eachother, the strip was plenty amusing. Some of her one-liners are classic.

Nyy bs gurz.
Could someone kindly translate those?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-07, 01:47 PM
Secondly, to the people seriously worried about the alignment issues: It's a humourous webcomic. Consistency bows to humour. Ridiculously anal people like you are the reason D&D has such a reputation for being played by losers.
Ah, so if it was funny enough Roy and Durkon, could, say, begin torturing a troll they found roaming about for information, and as the gag when they cut off an arm or leg it'd just grow back or something?

There is funny and then there is dark humor. I don't see enough humor in dangling him outside the window to make up for the complete turn around of an alignment.

This is a board for discussing the topic. Its entire PURPOSE is to have these 'anal discussions'.

So stop overeacting, calling folks losers, and titleing discussions anal because you disagree with it. You, my friend, need an attitude adjustment.

Greater or lesser evil. And one unlawful act does not a chaotic character make.
Ermmm, well, if your principals only last for as long as the're convient then your alignment probably isn't what you thought it was to begin with.

Kanashimi
2006-07-07, 02:12 PM
you know what I just wondered. . . is Belkar too close to a city/town/village to hurt anything or else the mark of justice goes off?
Not sure if that counts as spoiler, so I whited it.

Kish
2006-07-07, 02:26 PM
If they were, he would have collapsed the first time he beheaded the hydra.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-07-07, 04:06 PM
Now that I think about it, why is Roy so surprised about hearing that Belkar won't survive to old age? I mean, duh.

Also, I bet Haley will now tell Elan that she loves him, and then when they're out of the valley they both forget she said anything, and everyone's surprised that she's mysteriously cured of aphasia. Ba-dum-chuh.

Messy
2006-07-07, 05:37 PM
Now that I think about it, why is Roy so surprised about hearing that Belkar won't survive to old age? I mean, duh.

Also, I bet Haley will now tell Elan that she loves him, and then when they're out of the valley they both forget she said anything, and everyone's surprised that she's mysteriously cured of aphasia. Ba-dum-chuh.
I disagree with that. During their date, Haley wouldn't lose her aphasia for telling Elan she loved him because her self-loathing said she believed deep down that he "wouldn't understand." I think this would be the same case, since he'll forget it anyway afterwards.

Felinoid
2006-07-07, 05:50 PM
SPOILER
Ah, but she could kiss him as was suggested earlier by her self-loathing. And I for one would welcome the end of her aphasia with glee. :)

ghost
2006-07-07, 06:24 PM
im pretty sure someone already answered this or said it but I think that belkar will die before the comic is over,.. but it would be cool if the comic was carried on forever.and ever and that and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and cake and ever and ever and everand domino and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and peanuts and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and everand this and ever and everand ever and ever and everand ever and ever and ever and then it could end

Shea Landford
2006-07-07, 07:09 PM
That was ok. Not as good as others, but I got a kick out the the "You are going to have a heart attack, right after I finish telling you you are going to have a heart attack."

Tobimaro
2006-07-07, 08:46 PM
So, the Oracle turns out to be a kobold. That I did not see comng. :o

As for the alignment problem, threatening a being would not necessarily cause an alignment shift. Perhaps Roy has spent ranks in his Bluff skill, and the act of holding the Oracle out of the window was to gain a circumstance modifier on his check. Just a thought.

Anyways, do not underestimate kobolds. One time in a home D&D campaign, our mid-level party (9 to 10 players and a couple of NPCs) ran across a group of around 500 kobolds (looking for a boat for some reason). I admit that we could have taken out a fair number of them, but due to the numbers on their side, they would have killed us. So we bartered with them just to avoid a fight.

Good comic. Not a laugh out loud comic, but a nice one all the same. I think that the Oracle has a selective sense of fortelling the future. His main problem is fortelling his immediate future, like the best time to bathe. :P

Grovar

charik
2006-07-07, 08:57 PM
you know what I just wondered. . . is Belkar too close to a city/town/village to hurt anything or else the mark of justice goes off?
Not sure if that counts as spoiler, so I whited it.
No. Close has nothing to do with it; he has to be in town. (don't think it needs a spoiler)

As for the Haleyspeach question I posted and the answer someone gave,
abcdefghijklm
nopqrstuvwxyz

just interchange top and bottom lines.

charik
2006-07-07, 09:00 PM
SPOILER
Ah, but she could kiss him as was suggested earlier by her self-loathing. And I for one would welcome the end of her aphasia with glee. :)
She did that in the first battle with Miko. Peck on the cheek, at least.

Felinoid
2006-07-07, 09:06 PM
No. Close has nothing to do with it; he has to be in town. (don't think it needs a spoiler)

As for the Haleyspeach question I posted and the answer someone gave,
abcdefghijklm
nopqrstuvwxyz

just interchange top and bottom lines.

Which would make it...
Which secret do I have to reveal so I can get my speach back?
All of them.

With a nice typo to imitate Rich. (It's spelled speech.)

She did that in the first battle with Miko. Peck on the cheek, at least.
Frenching ought to get the point across, don't you think? ;)

dragon95046
2006-07-07, 09:10 PM
...do not underestimate kobolds. One time in a home D&D campaign, our mid-level party (9 to 10 players and a couple of NPCs) ran across a group of around 500 kobolds (looking for a boat for some reason). I admit that we could have taken out a fair number of them, but due to the numbers on their side, they would have killed us. So we bartered with them just to avoid a fight...

I discovered not to underestimate kobolds in one of our higher level games. We had a paladin who was 19 or 20th level who attacked a kobold, only to find out this kobold was more than the run of the mill kobold and had about 12-14 levels of fighter. The paladin survived, but his mount met a grisly end when the kobold was able to make a full round attack on the horse.

Whenever he laments his poor dead horse now, we all have to remind him that it was killed by a mere kobold. :P

Baelfyre
2006-07-07, 09:16 PM
I enjoyed the new strip, but I doubt Belkar will ever beat "when in doubt, set something on fire" for pure hilarity.

Kontonshin
2006-07-07, 09:16 PM
Potential spoiler, but probably off-camera:

Elan: "Are you *really* the Oracle?"

Oracle: "Yes."

Elan: "*Really?*"

Oracle: "Yes. Next!"

Reminds me of the Quick-E-Mart episode of _The Simpsons_.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-07-07, 09:20 PM
I disagree with that. During their date, Haley wouldn't lose her aphasia for telling Elan she loved him because her self-loathing said she believed deep down that he "wouldn't understand." I think this would be the same case, since he'll forget it anyway afterwards.

Yeah, but maybe she doesn't understand the magic well enough to realize that's what would happen, and so would sincerely believe she's telling him the truth with no takebacks.

Dudukain
2006-07-07, 09:21 PM
Awesome. Simply Awesome.

Bilbo27
2006-07-07, 11:13 PM
I love it, Roy has no need for the undead, so in a word---BEGONE!!!

I love the persuasivness of Roy and Durkon.

Back to the good stuff my friend.

Messy
2006-07-07, 11:37 PM
Yeah, but maybe she doesn't understand the magic well enough to realize that's what would happen, and so would sincerely believe she's telling him the truth with no takebacks.
Actually, the Oracle just explained to them how he makes them forget everything that happened except their question(s). She KNOWS that if she tells Elan, he won't remember afterwards. Unless of course, Elan's question has to do with it ;)

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-07-08, 01:19 AM
Yay! I knew he would be a truly wise and cunning race!

Kobold ftw. Lets hope belker doesn't kill this guy too... :-/

Pocal
2006-07-08, 01:25 AM
With all the talk about Roy using up question, I just counted that Belkar and Roy used up 5 questions together, six if you count "A kobold??" as a question from Belkar.

Sc00by
2006-07-08, 08:15 AM
I liked it, but I'm easily pelased... ;)

"I was good" was classic Elan!

Oh and I think we can Ink in Kobold (reptiles?) as one of Belkar's favoured enemies.

I know Rich doens't read these threads any more (you can tell be all the "Woot Page X" posts and the whited out spoliers, that he deletes if he reads the thread), but I'm still going to add; keep up the good work, some of us appreciate it!

Messy
2006-07-08, 11:48 AM
I liked it, but I'm easily pelased... ;)

"I was good" was classic Elan!

Oh and I think we can Ink in Kobold (reptiles?) as one of Belkar's favoured enemies.

I know Rich doens't read these threads any more (you can tell be all the "Woot Page X" posts and the whited out spoliers, that he deletes if he reads the thread), but I'm still going to add; keep up the good work, some of us appreciate it!
Same here, I am very easily pleased when it comes to OOTS. :)

And no, that's not true -- Rich does check the boards... it just seems that perhaps lately there has been little wrong (for once!) and he doesn't feel the need to comment. Besides, he was probably tired from Origins and has to get ready for GenCon.

What's wrong with whiting out spoilers? To read just highlight it. It's so that people who don't want to read spoilers don't have to. And honestly, I don't feel there being a problem with people saying, "Woot! Page X!" as long as they at least contribute something to the thread (yeah yeah some people just say "woot" but that's too bad for them).

baltor85
2006-07-08, 12:15 PM
Hehehehe, that was good. All of the comics recently have been awesomely hilarious. As long as they stay this good, I don't care about the wait! Lol,"I was good." Classic Elan. There was something odd about that comic, a feeling that I can't quite put my finger on though...It's like it's funny in a weird way...

Tyrasius
2006-07-08, 12:43 PM
K I really dont have time anymore to read all the posts on these threads, so this has probably been mentioned already, but something I saw on the second page made me realize, how is Haley going to ask the oracle something?

Blaznak
2006-07-08, 12:56 PM
I just liked Elan getting a sucker for being good... :)

Later!

Lord_Oni
2006-07-08, 01:14 PM
I have an odd gut feeling that out of the blue Elan's Bardic knowledge ability will kick in and he will ask the most amazing question that totally opens up the entire quest and tells them the necessary path to go on, or he will choke on the lollipop. Either way

Tyrasius
2006-07-08, 01:26 PM
I have an odd gut feeling that out of the blue Elan's Bardic knowledge ability will kick in and he will ask the most amazing question that totally opens up the entire quest and tells them the necessary path to go on, or he will choke on the lollipop. Either way
I just had to say that this was funny, in a sick creul way. NOOO not Elan. Shouldnt it be a spoiler though? Anyway in order to make this post actually meaningful, im going to put in my opinion on the alignment debate. K you can do an evil or chaotic thing and it does not result in an immediateloss of alignment. As another poster said, they arent paladins. And this does not imply a loss of alignment the moment its not convenient as seeing as one minor infingement is not dropping your alignment the moment its not useful even if it is a SINGLE example. As for the people complaining about the alignment debate, well its fun and gives us something to do while we wai for the next comic, so just scroll past it if you must.

theswarm
2006-07-08, 02:07 PM
LET THE DUCKIE GO!!!!
omg, best line ever

Kadasbrass
2006-07-08, 02:30 PM
I am here now! My Chaos sense told me a kobold was endangered by one of our ancient foes (pretty much anything with a CR above 1/8 ).

Perhaps Roy should begin looking for a replacement for the Halfling bugger?

Durin
2006-07-09, 12:57 AM
oh great another one.

Call the Kobold exterminator there multiplying

SixOfSpades
2006-07-09, 03:10 AM
Perhaps Roy should begin looking for a replacement for the Halfling bugger?
My money is on SPOILER a female Lawful Evil Ogre who is both thoughtful and cunning. But hey, there's plenty of room for me to be wrong.

0utsider
2006-07-09, 07:51 AM
I love the idea of Belkar being a member of the I.R.A. though I was expecting some kind of "What is this mysterious 'I.R.A.' that you speak of?" like when Roy mentioned "Japan" in strip 209.

CelestialStick
2006-07-09, 12:27 PM
While I enjoyed the prospect of an early death for Belkar, I chuckled at the ducky. ;D

Rubber Ducky, you're the one,
You make bathtime lots of fun,
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you;

Woo woo be doo

Rubber Ducky, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Ducky, you're my very best friend, it's true! ;)

P.S. Welcome to the boards, 0utsider. :)

Durin
2006-07-09, 03:39 PM
It's not easy being green is it Stick?

The Glitter Ninja
2006-07-09, 08:26 PM
I think Tyrasius asked how Haley would be able to ask the Oracle a question... I assume the Oracle is knowledgeable enough that he could understand what she said. Or she could write the question down, or something.

Eriol
2006-07-09, 09:47 PM
I love the idea of Belkar being a member of the I.R.A. though I was expecting some kind of "What is this mysterious 'I.R.A.' that you speak of?" like when Roy mentioned "Japan" in strip 209.
That's not what the Oracle was referring to. An Individual Retirement Account (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Retirement_Account) is what he meant. Basically, the Oracle is saying Belkar won't ever retire, because he won't REACH retirement age, thus having an I.R.A. is useless to him.

He's not referring to the Irish Republican Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army).

TheWanderingLlama
2006-07-09, 11:48 PM
That's not what the Oracle was referring to. An Individual Retirement Account (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Retirement_Account) is what he meant. Basically, the Oracle is saying Belkar won't ever retire, because he won't REACH retirement age, thus having an I.R.A. is useless to him.

He's not referring to the Irish Republican Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army).

You totally missed Outsider's point. The reaction would still be the same, because there are no IRAs in the OOTSverse, the same way there is no Japan.

Edit: typo

Edit again: Oh, wait,I think you were right about what Outsider meant. My point still stands though.

Felinoid
2006-07-10, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I could so see...

Elan/Vaarsuvius/Durkon: "What's an IRA?"
Haley: "I don't know, but my rogue sense is tingling; I wish to learn."

Well, aside from me not being able to do good dialogue for them and Haley still having aphasia. :P

Kish
2006-07-10, 12:22 AM
You totally missed Outsider's point. The reaction would still be the same, because there are no IRAs in the OOTSverse, the same way there is no Japan.

Edit: typo

Edit again: Oh, wait,I think you were right about what Outsider meant. My point still stands though.
The OotS is full of fourth-wall breaking and anachronisms. Having Miko react that way to Roy referring to Japan was a joke about them; it was funny in part because her reaction was the exception, not the rule. If at least one character reacted similarly to every single anachronism, it would quickly cease to be funny. (And also Miko, the one character we've seen react that way, isn't here.)

Ronald_saveloy
2006-07-10, 01:39 AM
Yeah, or think of all the coffee machines, we've seen so far! ;D

Durin
2006-07-10, 02:12 AM
aphasia.

I didn't really like that movie. the talking bat provided some decent comic relief but he really didn't fit the bill of the villains sidekick

Kadasbrass
2006-07-10, 02:24 AM
oh great another one.

Call the Kobold exterminator there multiplying

You don't call exterminators for kobolds, you call adventurers. Did your DM teach you that?

TheWanderingLlama
2006-07-10, 02:55 AM
The OotS is full of fourth-wall breaking and anachronisms. Having Miko react that way to Roy referring to Japan was a joke about them; it was funny in part because her reaction was the exception, not the rule. If at least one character reacted similarly to every single anachronism, it would quickly cease to be funny. (And also Miko, the one character we've seen react that way, isn't here.)

I was just explaining why a reaction like that could happen, you see.

0utsider
2006-07-10, 04:32 AM
TheWanderingLlama understood me.

I know the PCs are often referring to the kind of things players tend to consider when gaming, eg class levels, abilities, eg. Elan with 1 rank in Ride despite it being cross-class, etc.

The NPCs are run using mechanics when the PCs aren't present, such as Miko killing bandits rather than using Gather Information; Displacer beasts and random encounters; paladins with low Search ranks missing a scrap of red cloak.

I've thought though that when NPCs interact with the PCs they generally avoid metagaming except when the PCs get tetchy about it such as when their mounts didn't get a Spot check or when Belkar challenged Miko's Tracking ability.

Apart from ThorPrayer(R). But then, Wishes and Miracles are just like that.

Seemed odd that an NPC talking with the PCs would introduce a real-world concept.

Do you think he's talking about some kind of retirement thing? I suppose the strip could be read to mean that, looking at it again. Still, I have never heard of this "Individual Retirement Account". I'm sure everyone knows about the I.R.A. though. And since the comment was addressed to Belkar of all people, I think the Giant is probably referring to the real I.R.A.

I like it how Roy has already asked two questions. It reminds me of:
Quick eMart President: Welcome, my friends. You may ask any three questions.
Homer: Are you really the head of the Quick eMart?
Quick eMart President: Yes.
Homer: Really?
Quick eMart President: Yes.
Homer: Really?
Quick eMart President: Yes. Thank you. Come again!

TheLamentation
2006-07-10, 06:08 AM
The Oracle has all that money and knows so much but doesn't have the sense to employ bodyguards or keep his mouth shut.
Who needs a bodyguard when their rubber ducky is a Figurine of Wondrous Power?

As for all the talk of Belkar's impending death- he gets another birthday cake. He'll stay in the strip.

Finwe
2006-07-10, 09:28 AM
Do you think he's talking about some kind of retirement thing? I suppose the strip could be read to mean that, looking at it again. Still, I have never heard of this "Individual Retirement Account". I'm sure everyone knows about the I.R.A. though. And since the comment was addressed to Belkar of all people, I think the Giant is probably referring to the real I.R.A.

Since it wouldn't make sense for Belkar to fund *his* Irish Republican Army (that's like me saying "I'm gonna donate $2000 to my red-cross), and since it's not really funny unless he was referring to an Individual Retirement Account, I'm think that he probably meant Individual Retirement Account when he said IRA.

Also, try googling IRA. You get way more financial stuff than political stuff.

Kanashimi
2006-07-10, 10:01 AM
If Belkar harvests a "Swanky new leather hat" from the Oracle, will it function as a Helm of Telepathy or a Helm of Vision?

fwiffo
2006-07-10, 10:02 AM
Since it wouldn't make sense for Belkar to fund *his* Irish Republican Army (that's like me saying "I'm gonna donate $2000 to my red-cross), and since it's not really funny unless he was referring to an Individual Retirement Account, I'm think that he probably meant Individual Retirement Account when he said IRA.

Also, try googling IRA. You get way more financial stuff than political stuff.

It is very clear in context what the Oracle meant, since he was talking about Belkar enjoying the next birthday cake in next panel, thus implying that he won't have too many more of those. When you say IRA in US, likely less than 5% of people would think that this even needs disambiguation, and nobody would pick the Irish Republican Army as the primary meaning. They have been out of the news for a while after abandoning terrorism and joining political process.

That said, I think Giant should change this to "pension" plan or "retirement" plan, since IRA is very much an Americanism, and the rest of the world will no more recognize it than US people would recognize the abbreviation for retirement plans of other countries.

Otterella
2006-07-10, 01:06 PM
I think most people are probably more familiar with the term "401K", since most of us have our retirement plan through our employer. A 401K is just one type of IRA.

TroyXavier
2006-07-10, 01:38 PM
I loved it. Belkar was perfect.

phoenixineohp
2006-07-10, 02:52 PM
I love the ducky part... but a few things bug me about this one. Especially the IRA part. I understand its usefulness, but I'm Canadian and had no idea what it was. For a comic that people from all over the world read, set in an unknown land, using a US term is odd and off putting. It doesn't work logically to me. And how did Durkon remember that they hung it out the window last time? Weird. It's a good strip, but has a few whooples in the middle of it.

humanpylon
2006-07-10, 04:19 PM
And how did Durkon remember that they hung it out the window last time? Weird. It's a good strip, but has a few whooples in the middle of it.

I thought that was the oracle remembering that.

kit
2006-07-10, 04:55 PM
With all the talk about Roy using up question, I just counted that Belkar and Roy used up 5 questions together, six if you count "A kobold??" as a question from Belkar.

the oracle said 'you'll each be allowed one question' after they started asking questions... implying that the oracular session hasn't begun yet. Also, none of the questions asked pertained to the future, so I assume they don't count.

Arin
2006-07-10, 06:43 PM
I love the ducky part... but a few things bug me about this one. Especially the IRA part. I understand its usefulness, but I'm Canadian and had no idea what it was. For a comic that people from all over the world read, set in an unknown land, using a US term is odd and off putting.

Gasp! You mean you might actually /learn/ something about another culture? Oh, the horror!

Seriously, I'm sorry if I'm a little blunt in my reaction, but it's one of the basic precepts of an author to write what he knows, and this author happens to live in the United States. If he had to do global research every time he wanted to toss in a quick one-liner, we wouldn't get more than one comic a month.

Especially when you factor in our admitted ethnocentrism - how could there be a country without our almighty IRAs? :)

Steward
2006-07-10, 07:15 PM
Especially when you factor in our admitted ethnocentrism - how could there be a country without our almighty IRAs? Smiley

I've never heard of an IRA either and I live in the US.

Then again, I am apparently one of the few people who goes to Google/Wikipedia when he does not know something.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-07-10, 09:48 PM
Seriously, I'm sorry if I'm a little blunt in my reaction, but it's one of the basic precepts of an author to write what he knows, and this author happens to live in the United States. If he had to do global research every time he wanted to toss in a quick one-liner, we wouldn't get more than one comic a month.

At the rate Rich updates, one comic a month might not be as bad as you think...

TheWanderingLlama
2006-07-10, 11:24 PM
At the rate Rich updates, one comic a month might not be as bad as you think...
That would be 1/8 of the comics we get now. I consider that pretty bad.

charik
2006-07-10, 11:50 PM
If Belkar harvests a "Swanky new leather hat" from the Oracle, will it function as a Helm of Telepathy or a Helm of Vision?
Given the properly perverse sense of humor, a Helm of Forgetfulness. ;D

Steward
2006-07-10, 11:56 PM

For Belkar, I think it should be a Helm of Devouring.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-07-11, 06:32 AM
Mhh? Killing the Oracle? Wouldn't that make Belkar somewhat Mr. Smith?

0utsider
2006-07-11, 08:54 AM
Okay I'll own that in this case IRA is a retirement thingy. I'm from Australia and have only heard of The I.R.A. before. Although it seems like Canadians and Americans alike have also not heard of the retirement flavour of IRA. No wonder such an obscure reference was made by none other than the mighty all-knowing Oracle! :D

And yes I think when Roy-sans-crown and Durkon are hanging the purple oracle out the window that's the oracle's memory hence his line "you were... persuasive". This time they don't have to resort to window tactics when they have Belkar.

sniffles
2006-07-11, 11:12 AM
Every time I go back to the comics page, the lollipop makes me smile. :D

humanpylon
2006-07-11, 01:17 PM

You know Belkar has such a short attention span I don't think he really needs a helm of forgetfulness!

Finwe
2006-07-11, 01:55 PM
Actually, his attention span isn't much shorter than the average ameri-oh look a kitty!

fwiffo
2006-07-11, 02:08 PM
Actually, his attention span isn't much shorter than the average ameri-oh look a kitty!

Hey, put him on Rital.. *ouch*. I'll stop, I'll stop.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-07-11, 04:04 PM
Mhh? Killing the Oracle? Wouldn't that make Belkar somewhat Mr. Smith?

Miko fighting off a swarm of Belkars WOULD be pretty awesome...

Bilbo27
2006-07-11, 04:15 PM
Alas, poor ykilick, I love that. Belkar would then become the next oracle!

We should be due for an update any hour now I'm guessing

Solmage
2006-07-12, 01:44 AM
Alas, poor ykilick, I love that. Belkar would then become the next oracle!

We should be due for an update any hour now I'm guessing

Yeah.. any day now..

Antina
2006-07-12, 05:12 AM
Every time I go back to the comics page, the lollipop makes me smile. :D

Jip - me too :)

Ronald_saveloy
2006-07-12, 05:18 AM

Yeah, think of this:

After the Oracle gave Belkar a look into the future, he has taken over Azure City and corrupted it into a dark version of the city.

Belkar: Ms. Miazaki. Welcome back, we missed you.
[Belkar pauses and looks around at the multitude of clones he has created]
Belkar: Like what I've done with the place?
Miko Miazaki: It ends tonight.
Belkar: I know it does, I've seen it. That's why the rest of me is just going to enjoy the show because we already know that I'm the one that beats you.

Alfryd
2006-07-12, 11:08 AM
Ermmm, well, if your principals only last for as long as the're convient then your alignment probably isn't what you thought it was to begin with.
Principals are a a feature of lawful alignments. They dictate the means. Morality is a feature of Good alignments, it dictates the end. If you are saying Chaotic = Evil, then you are not abiding by D&D metaphysics.

Pity the film sucked.

0utsider
2006-07-12, 12:56 PM
In that case, Druids' alignment restriction (like that of paladin and monk) ought to be "must be lawful" since if they break their strict code of conduct they're in trouble.

Alfryd
2006-07-12, 05:36 PM
In that case, Druids' alignment restriction (like that of paladin and monk) ought to be "must be lawful" since if they break their strict code of conduct they're in trouble.
Oh, of course, and Bards would have to be Lawful, because they're not allowed to be.
A few simple restrictions on conduct does not ordinarily a Lawful character make, any more than breaking the rules on occasion makes you Chaotic.