PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Balancing a pet class with a mix of cantrips and weapon attacks. Need ideas.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-08-03, 09:31 AM
I'm trying to make an elemental-themed pet class with subclasses that have different play styles. Things that are the same between them:

A pet, using the UA Revised Ranger skeleton.
A focus on cantrips
4 elements monk style casting--small pool of points with limited choice of specific effects
Utility through a beefed-up ritual caster feature

The pets would be subclass specific, with customization coming through boons acquired at certain levels (like the 3.5/PF summoner's eidolon mutations, but more focused).

The subclasses should have focuses:

Straight up damage, mostly through cantrips and other spell-like abilities. Fire themed.
A defensive, melee-oriented focus. Mixing melee attacks with cantrips. Earth (acid/poison) themed.
A ranged, nimble type. Mixing ranged weapon attacks with cantrips. Air (lightning/thunder) themed.
A support/control focus. Cantrip and spell-like abilities dominate. Water (cold) themed.

My problem comes in trying to make this reasonably balanced compared to other classes, especially in constant DPR. I don't see this class as a nova damage class.

The questions:

One subclass should focus on combining cantrips with weapon attacks. What's the best way to make this work so it ends up ~90% of a standard fighter/barbarian type?
What about mixing ranged weapon attacks with cantrips? Same criteria.
And what about cantrips alone for resource-free damage?
A free variable is the pet's damage. How much of a range is there for this without either making it worthless or overshadowing other parts of the class?

I'm ok with a slightly reduced at-will DPR because of the increase in utility from the pet abilities and healing/support/control abilities that cost resources. I'd rather not be ~40% behind or ~20% ahead.

Thoughts? Ideas? Is this even possible without something clunky?

JBPuffin
2017-08-03, 12:06 PM
While the class I designed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529700-The-Nightshade-Shadow-Power-Source-in-5E) was shadow-based, it has pet, melee, and cantrip elements. I also have a Totem Warrior class (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BPIvuKu_5ASHTTsgBe81g_smidvUDM7cTgTfPTqQU7E/edit) - Docs link which has a similar pet+cantrip+weapon attack combination.

Everyone complains about the original beastmaster, and while the UA version's interesting, I only gave it a few glances as I worked on the balance of these features. The classes themselves...it's arguable if they're entirely balanced, considering they're both rather versatile and capable of many combat roles, but that's part of why I'm sharing them, as some combination of their features ought to be suitable.