PDA

View Full Version : Dragons with character (class)

ben101
2017-08-03, 12:11 PM
Can (metallic) dragons have a character or npc class? As they can shapecahnge into humanoid forms and have intwllegence it seemed like a thing they might do.

Thoughts?

jas61292
2017-08-03, 12:17 PM
While you can design creatures however you want, as a general rule, classes are only for PCs in 5e. That is not because NPCs and monsters shouldn't have those abilities, but because unlike some previous editions, 5e PCs occupy a different design space from other creatures. There are no real generic creature creating rules.

Basically, the answer is, whatever abilities the DM wants a monster to have, it has. And that can certainly include things such as class abilities.

Twizzly513
2017-08-03, 12:18 PM
I'd say 100%. It's not common, but older dragons often become spellcasters and the like. Fighters and rogues and such are probably less common, and I hope to Thor I never meet a dragon with monk levels, but I guess at that point it all rides on the flavor of your campaign. There's a section on monsters with classes in the DMG, page 283, that deals with logistics.

Harrysonford
2017-08-03, 12:30 PM
Not unless the dragon is in human form for long enough to acquire any levels, maybe a 1st level dip, but I don't think dragons would choose to be a class instead of a dragon

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-03, 12:37 PM
Try bolting iconic abilities from the class you desire onto the dragon's chassis. Using player levels on monsters is messy and really screws with both difficulty scaling and combat (player classes are far more complex than monsters), but adding a simple ability or two can drive home the difference.

Let's say the dragon is a fighter. Let them use weapons and armor in humanoid form, and give them an action surge and a second wind ability. Consider them a CR level higher than usual.

Or perhaps they studied wizardry. Give them spells and call it a day. Watch the potency of those spells- depending on how dangerous they are, increase CR as needed.

A barbarian? Rage sells it.

Rogue? Huh, weird. Sneak attacking and bonus action stealth basically says it all, though.

There's simply no reason to give them access to everything a player would have, or to even define a precise player level. Classes and levels are abstractions anyway.

Torrin
2017-08-03, 01:49 PM
In the lore surrounding FR Bahamut, metallic (mostly Gold) paladins and clerics used to be common before his fall to minor god.

Falcon X
2017-08-03, 02:39 PM
There are no 5e rules that say yes or no. However, it is a long D&D tradition for dragons to advance as spellcasters. I mean, why not have a dragon with Haste spell active?

Finback
2017-08-04, 02:13 AM
I've asked similar before - it can be done, but you have to be careful you don't overpower your dragon. I'm planning to have the reveal of the evil Her Majesty who lords over a small city to be that she is a deep dragon incognito- thing is, it's already established she is a powerful magic user, so I'm going to give her some wizard spells, but I'll probably limit her to a few iconic spells and some cantrips, rather than give an already powerful entity a full spellbook to tap into.

ben101
2017-08-04, 08:07 AM
There are no 5e rules that say yes or no. However, it is a long D&D tradition for dragons to advance as spellcasters. I mean, why not have a dragon with Haste spell active?

Well that's a terrifying thought :)

Sigreid
2017-08-04, 09:10 AM
I've been toying with the idea that if you true polymorph into a dragon you lose your class levels, but then can start re-learning at the xp rate for epic boons.

So, Ludwig the arch wizard decides to change himself into a red dragon. He can't cast wizard spells anymore, and he's dumber than he was, but he still has all his books and toys and skills. He adventures as a red dragon and gains 30kxp. He can now take level 1 wizard as he is acclimating to his new form and how magic interacts with it. He doesn't get more hp/hd or skills, but he gets all the other stuff including ASIs. He's essentially rebuilding his wizardly power but on a much more durable frame.

Just something I've been toying with in my head. Thought it could make for a good epic level progression.

ben101
2017-08-07, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone
Ben