PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason for the why Tarquin's Pterosaur wings are transparent?

S@tanicoaldo
2017-08-03, 12:29 PM
In this comic:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/7ot0tLvp2cszeSBB7nG.gif

Is there a reason for the Pterosaur wings be

Is there a reason for the Pterosaur wings be transparent?

Is there a reason for the why Tarquin's Pterosaur wings are transparent?

Mad Humanist
2017-08-03, 12:44 PM
Sorry. I am really not sure I follow the question. There are pterosaur wings because having a wingless pterosaur would be useless, cruel and bloody. Very much in keeping with Tarquin, if the pterosaur had been a political dissident but not otherwise.

If you are asking why there is a pterosaur it is because the evil guys get the best toys.

semi
2017-08-03, 01:03 PM
The other day, my kid stole the remote control and I was forced to watch Sharktopus v. Pteracuda. I really thought this thread was going to be an in-depth discussion of the Pteracuda as a metaphor for the current political atmosphere in the United States.

Not sure if this is better or worse.

Lord Torath
2017-08-03, 01:05 PM
I suspect we're missing a word or phrase that was supposed to follow "be" in the subject line that will provide crucial information in clarifiying what the OP is actually trying to ask us.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-03, 02:27 PM
Perhaps trying to capture the descriptive term "membranous" with the art style in use at the time.

Mx56
2017-08-03, 03:27 PM
At a guess just as a way of representing the effect of pterosaur wings being very thin skin spread over a bony frame. At least one species of bat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear-winged_woolly_bat) has translucent wings so I guess that's the kind of effect the Giant was trying to produce in the artwork. I don't know whether that's in any way scientifically accurate, mind you, but fantasy comic and all.

Ron Miel
2017-08-03, 08:29 PM
It's realistic. I've never seen a pterosaur with opaque wings. Have you?

hamishspence
2017-08-04, 01:26 AM
Given that the wings were pretty tough, not just skin but containing some keratinous material, muscle fibres, and so forth, they might not have been very translucent. Especially on big pterosaurs.

However - given the featherless deinonychosaur steeds - it's likely that it's more "pop culture archosaurs" we see - they don't have to be super-realistic modern portrayals.

Wristlet Eater
2017-08-04, 01:30 AM
given the featherless deinonychosaur

Well maybe they just trim their feathers.

Sprütche
2017-08-04, 02:26 AM
Same reason the allosaurus has two fingers on each hand.

All the pterosaurs' skeletons I have seen in museums had transparent wings.

Wristlet Eater
2017-08-05, 12:12 AM
Same reason the allosaurus has two fingers on each hand.

Knowing Tarquin he probably ordered them to chop the third finger off because two-fingered dinosaurs look more iconic.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-08-05, 12:37 PM

Well, I have never seen a pterosaur before, at all, with transparent wings or not. :smallyuk:

h0m3st4r
2017-08-05, 11:26 PM
Perhaps trying to capture the descriptive term "membranous" with the art style in use at the time.

In any case, I think the word the OP is looking for is "translucent". If they were transparent, they'd be completely see-through.

hamishspence
2017-08-06, 05:26 AM
In any case, I think the word the OP is looking for is "translucent". If they were transparent, they'd be completely see-through.

An "only just translucent" thing would admit sunlight, but little else - you couldn't see shapes behind it, and it would only really be noticable when the thing is silhouetted against very bright light.

But this pterosaur wing, shows the details of Nale's hand, armour, armour colours, etc very clearly through it. It's more like coloured glass, than thick skin.

Peelee
2017-08-07, 08:29 AM

Well, yeah. Sounds like you should really come to Alabama sometime.

Zea mays
2017-08-07, 09:32 AM

Would 'diaphanous (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html)' be more to your taste?

Alcore
2017-08-07, 11:19 AM
Well, yeah. Sounds like you should really come to Alabama sometime.

Are you implying i will find one there? I was there and i missed it!? :smalleek:

Peelee
2017-08-07, 11:54 AM
Are you implying i will find one there? I was there and i missed it!? :smalleek:

Well, I may have been a little bit off. (http://www.mcwane.org/visit/exhibits/level-2/alabama-dinosaurs/) For reals, though, McWane is a treasure of my city. Can't wait to take my kid there.