PDA

View Full Version : Taming Animals

Karthull
2017-08-03, 01:27 PM
I understand that trying something like this is likely to fail more often then not, personally I'd probably fail then wind up killing the beast, but I was wondering how would you attempt trying to tame a wild animal, of any variety from a big bear, to a t rex, to a dragon or yeti (yes I know dragons are intelligent) and what skills would help with this, obviously animal handling, would insight or anything else help as well?

Also note I'm not necessarily trying to tame it for a mount (though I'd probably try to mount it later at some point) I'm mostly trying to tame it to follow the group and be a friend, and cuddle with it when we make camp for long rests lol. I'm playing a character who sort of dislikes/borderline hates his fellow mortals, but quickly grows fond of animals and dislikes having to kill them whenever they're aggressive, even if taming it may restrict me a bit when I go back to town either needing to stay out of town with it or just be distrusted by npcs because of the oddity of it.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-03, 01:59 PM
Revised Ranger can give you insight into a beast's mood and emotions. Use that to find something with the right temperament. Then give it lots of food and protect it from harm if needed.

Beast Bond further improves your communication with the animal. That also gives it advantage to attack enemies within 5' of you.

You should be able to befriend a beast over time by giving it food, using beast bond to communicate with it, and convincing it that it's better off with you.

Or, just steal a pup and raise it as your own, inverse wolf girl. If going down that road, play a druid and cast Awaken on it at some point. Now it's an intelligent beast that you raised as your own child, and it thinks the world of you. If that doesn't make it a companion, nothing will.

Karthull
2017-08-03, 05:22 PM
Thanks I'll look into that, was hoping there was some feat or skill I missed other then a class ability, hoping that ranger ability maybe is early enough to multiclass into it just a little, otherwise stealing a pup seems like my best choice.