PDA

View Full Version : How would you do a wrestler character?

pastaskamisama
2017-08-03, 03:09 PM
A friend of mine is starting a new campaign and he asked us to come with our most original characters and i wish to build a masked wrestler.

Any ideas?

XmonkTad
2017-08-03, 03:15 PM
Grapplers can be done in a few ways. Are you looking for more of a technical wrestler who uses strength and skill to best opponents, or more of a "luchador" where the mask is part of the performance that is a "wrestling match"?

Generally Rogue 1/Barbarian X is better for the first and Bard is better for the luchador. There are a lot of grapple guides around for more mechanical details of grappling.

Airk
2017-08-03, 03:20 PM

What GAME ARE YOU PLAYING? x.x

RazorChain
2017-08-03, 05:27 PM
Good ST helps and putting bunch of points into the wrestling skill is given. Putting points into maneuvers like arm lock also helps.

TeChameleon
2017-08-03, 07:39 PM
A few more details would probably help- what system you're playing in, what sort of wrestler you're thinking (Greco-Roman would play very differently from WWE/WCW, which in turn would play wildly differently from Sumo wrestling)...

Speaking of which, a masked Sumo Wrestler would be absolutely amazing :smalltongue:

I mean, I did something that would sorta fit the bill in D&D 4e- a grappling fighter pixie. That was fun :smallamused:

goto124
2017-08-03, 10:09 PM
One of the steps would be to not use a system that makes grappling really complicated (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/comics/darths0344_bonus.jpg) :smalltongue:

(I just wanted to post a Darths & Droids comic.)

Tinkerer
2017-08-04, 10:23 AM
Well if you're playing an alignment system I would go classic with the character. Using the D&D chart as an example you only get the four corners to play with, LG (pure face) CG (wildman face) LE (heel mastermind) CE (pure heel). Actually on second thought LE should probably be NE who acts like LE except you get a lot more leniency on breaking promises.

Come up with a theme and goal. By masked wrestler I'm assuming you are going with luchador? Or are you talking more of an animal mask type thing? If you are going luchador then you may want to mix in some high flying moves with grappling as a style. If you are going animal than obviously work with that.

Play up the home town angle. Assuming the wrestler is from anything other than a large city your persona, if not your character, should most likely be pretty well known and (assuming good) trusted there. A bit of a local celebrity for good or evil.

If you are a face then your character is fighting not for themselves but for all people who believe in justice, particularly the children. If any of the villains harm a child there should be no sanctuary which can keep them safe from your wrath. Depending on the system this could be a good character for a face (er, the traditional gaming definition of face), or if that's not feasible perhaps as a false face (they do a lot of talking however things like negotiation and diplomacy are handled by the real face). If pure face you should be acting like a knight or paladin even if that isn't your class. If you are a wild face then you should still be following those same guidelines however you don't need to adhere to them quite as closely if you are dealing with someone obviously evil. If you are a face then if you fall in alignment you shouldn't go to neutral (again using D&D alignments), you should go straight to evil. Do a complete turn with a wardrobe change and everything.

If you are a heel then check if your system has any skills or abilities for committing dirty tricks. If you are in a system with wound/pain modifiers you should be checking to see if there is any way to increase those for your foes. A melee debuffer (if possible in your setting) would be a fitting build for a heel, dedicated to making the opponent feel as awful as possible.

Remember in both of these cases you are playing a fictional character playing a fictional character. The most likely reasons that I can come up with for a character acting this way are 1) They are looking to become famous throughout the realm and it makes them recognizable. 2) They have chosen to raise up an aspect of themselves and when they put on the mask they become that aspect. 3) It is tradition (family, cultural, etc...) 4) They are completely cuckoo for cocopuffs.

Of course this is assuming you are going classic. If you are going modern... I don't know kinda act like a ****