PDA

View Full Version : To multiclass or to not

ayyressh
2017-08-03, 03:18 PM
So I just hit 5 on my arcane archer fighter and I'm curious if I should begin to multiclass into rogue. I would most likely go the rest of the way as a arcane trickster rogue and save that level 6 fighter ASI for later if needed. My goal being to have some fun role playing added as a rogue and to eventually have great use of my bonus action at level 2 and beyond.

Also, I already have sharp-shooter, and 20 dex.

I was mainly looking at arcane trickster to pick up find familiar to gain advantage and to have some fun with other spells. However, I could just go level 6 fighter and pick up magic initiate and do the same thing.

To sum it all up I'm looking to improve my damage, utility, and to add some fun to my backstory. That backstory being listed below.

My character has an urchin background feel to him and his backstory is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-H0f4De3cycH9MjglLRb4HtT_z3ybXRR_wAEDFqR8d4/edit?usp=sharing

Easy_Lee
2017-08-03, 03:21 PM
You gain additional arcane shots at 7th and 10th and another extra attack at 11. Personally, I wouldn't multiclass before then. When combined with sharpshooter, archery, and arcane shots, extra attacks are extremely potent.

Desteplo
2017-08-03, 03:22 PM
Lvl 7 you get infinite arrows. Though that depends if your dm keeps track of that

ayyressh
2017-08-03, 03:24 PM
Lvl 7 you get infinite arrows. Though that depends if your dm keeps track of that I am using the revised version where the level 7 feature let's me reroll a miss on another target as a bonus action.

ayyressh
2017-08-03, 09:57 PM
It seems if i stayed straight fighter I would have plenty of things to do with my bonus action. However, going to level 3 arcane tr8ckster would add more utility I think.

RSP
2017-08-03, 10:11 PM
I'd stay AA: an additional attack at 11, and 2 more ASIs to aid in utility before then (and another at 12). Particularly if using UA (and it seems you are) grabbing skill Feats could certainly help utility, same with MI, Skilled, Observant, and a bunch of others.

Rogue is a great class but with already maxed Dex and SS, you have 2 free Feats to add to increase that versatility while maintaining the 3rd attack.

ayyressh
2017-08-03, 11:14 PM
I'd stay AA: an additional attack at 11, and 2 more ASIs to aid in utility before then (and another at 12). Particularly if using UA (and it seems you are) grabbing skill Feats could certainly help utility, same with MI, Skilled, Observant, and a bunch of others.

Rogue is a great class but with already maxed Dex and SS, you have 2 free Feats to add to increase that versatility while maintaining the 3rd attack. Yeah, the two feats, curving shot, and a bonus arcane shot sounds pretty good.

Ventruenox
2017-08-03, 11:46 PM
It sounds as though utility cantrips for out of combat versatility are what you may be looking for to round out your character. Sneak Attack and Cunning Action are great, but so is raining down pointy death. Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, or Minor Illusion would take you three Rogue levels to get to, versus one more level in fighter for Magic Initiate. Arcane Archer skills will have you pretty set for combat, and you don't need levels in Rogue to play a sneaky git.

If you want a wider range of spells though, consider Ritual Caster. You would still get Find Familar, and with the right DM you can collect quite the assortment of rituals. Need a partner in crime? Unseen Servants have no moral qualms. You want more movement than a monk? Phantom Steed. Concerned about ambush in the night? Alarm or Leomund's Tiny Hut. Is the party Wizard a no show? Identify, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages. UA Starter Spells had a few more fun rituals. Heck, with your stats, you could probably take both feats.

ayyressh
2017-08-04, 12:05 AM
I didnt even think of ritual caster.

My dm is also giving me arcane shots equal to my int modifier. So increasing my int could be really good.

ayyressh
2017-08-04, 01:12 PM
Ahh! I just love cunning action so much.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-04, 01:51 PM
I mean, Fighter/Rogue is still a rock-solid multiclass. You're not going to suffer.

djreynolds
2017-08-04, 06:15 PM
You could just grab a level of wizard, lot if goodies there

ayyressh
2017-08-07, 10:11 AM
Think I will stay fighter until level 11.