PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Disguise self, RAW and RAI (caster is Tiefling)

Demonique
2017-08-03, 03:42 PM
Hello :)
I am playing a Tiefling Sorcerer, with access to Disguise Self, and I am asking two questions I guess.
Rules As Intended: Do I simply treat myself as a Medium Humanoid, and use it like every other 'normal' caster?
Rules As Written: Does this mean I can resemble ANY Medium Outsider? (And can people suggest some interesting shapes?)

Looking forward to some reasons / excuses for good roleplay in our upcoming sessions

-Demi-

TheFamilarRaven
2017-08-03, 04:46 PM
The easiest way to think about it is that it's a simple +10 bonus to your disguise skill. Thus if you disguised yourself as another tiefling, you'd have a +10 bonus to maintain that disguise (assuming no ranks in the actual skill).

As a tiefling, you are an Outsider [Native], not a humanoid. So you can't use the spell to look human, or like an elf, because they are humanoids. If being a tiefling is a problem in the setting you're playing in, you can use the spell to look like an Aasimar, which is human enough.

If you do disguise yourself as another race, remember that there is a -2 penalty associated with that so if you disguise yourself as an Aasimar the bonus is now +8.

Other than that you can go wild. Basically you can look like an elemental, inevitable, devil etc, as they are all outsiders (and the spell let's you change your subtype too!)

Hackulator
2017-08-03, 04:57 PM
The easiest way to think about it is that it's a simple +10 bonus to your disguise skill. Thus if you disguised yourself as another tiefling, you'd have a +10 bonus to maintain that disguise (assuming no ranks in the actual skill).

As a tiefling, you are an Outsider [Native], not a humanoid. So you can't use the spell to look human, or like an elf, because they are humanoids. If being a tiefling is a problem in the setting you're playing in, you can use the spell to look like an Aasimar, which is human enough.

If you do disguise yourself as another race, remember that there is a -2 penalty associated with that so if you disguise yourself as an Aasimar the bonus is now +8.

Other than that you can go wild. Basically you can look like an elemental, inevitable, devil etc, as they are all outsiders (and the spell let's you change your subtype too!)

Elementals are elementals, not outsiders.

nm I missed the pathfinder tag, sorry lol

Crake
2017-08-03, 05:36 PM
Hello :)
I am playing a Tiefling Sorcerer, with access to Disguise Self, and I am asking two questions I guess.
Rules As Intended: Do I simply treat myself as a Medium Humanoid, and use it like every other 'normal' caster?
Rules As Written: Does this mean I can resemble ANY Medium Outsider? (And can people suggest some interesting shapes?)

Looking forward to some reasons / excuses for good roleplay in our upcoming sessions

-Demi-

Wow, the pathfinder disguise self is weird. In 3.5 it said you cannot change your body type, not creature type, I dunno why pathfinder would make an illusion limited by creature type, that's so wierd.