PDA

View Full Version : lawful good god sees his cleric flip alignment?

Camman1984
2017-08-03, 04:44 PM
One of my party members has just had his chaotic good cleric of Torm have a forced alignment change to evil. only a wish spell or some kind if divine intervention can bring him back.

now he is chaotic evil and his god is lawful good. the book suggests that I take the character as an evil NPC but I have given him the choice to play on as evil or write a new character.

I am aware that there are no specific alignment restrictions, but how would you handle this change? do I revoke his spells? I am thinking revoke any spells that may be used to harm good people, keep things like healing, destroy undead etc.

Emay Ecks
2017-08-03, 04:53 PM
You could allow the cleric to be sponsored by a new evil deity. I'm sure plenty of evil gods (or demons or devils) would love the chance to stick it to the lawful good gods they oppose and steal one of their clerics.

Look up which entities oppose the cleric's ex-patron and have them send an emissary to the cleric (demon/devil/angel messenger) offering them a reward and the ability to keep their spell list should they choose to convert.

Kane0
2017-08-03, 05:02 PM
Well you say forced so I presume the cleric did not want or expect this change.

Based on that I'd expect Torm to be fairly lenient. He'd probably want that useful cleric to return into his fold rather than kick the poor guy out, especially if it was not willing and there are other deities that would otherwise poach him and put him to work against Torm.

Perhaps restrict a couple spells he cannot prepare while evil and let him remain faithful to Torm, plus throw in a few visions and such for good measure. Divine intervention is sort of a deity's thing yknow.

This is a chance to encourage some great RP as the character goes through a major change, make sure both sides have stakes in the outcome and watch it unfold.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-03, 05:14 PM
Maybe have Torm send other members of his clergy to save the cleric's soul, no matter the cost? It could be a cool side story. Maybe let the player temporarily control one of the clerics/paladins/monks sent to rescue him before he commits an evil act under the patronage of an evil god? Make him a possibly scary antagonist who the party is trying to save instead of kill? It could be interesting.

Thrudd
2017-08-03, 05:27 PM
I would say there's a few options other than just NPC'ing the character (but you should offer the player that option if they would like to make a new character anyway) :

- alignment might be a thing that the gods don't automatically know about, it's not a mystical thing but a thing which describes how a character acts. So it is the character's behavior and actions and beliefs which the gods see, not what is written on the character sheet. So nothing will immediately happen, but if the character begins doing things displeasing to their god or in contravention to their religion (which they definitely should because they are evil now), the god will take notice and refuse to grant any more spells. The character can go on as basically a spell-less cleric (also taking away things powered by channel divinity) until their next level, when they can MC into something other than cleric.

-If the character performs enough evil acts or uses a spell or cleric ability granted by their good god to do something evil (before the god has taken away the spells), an evil god will make them an offer to take them in, granting them the same level of power but with a new set of divine powers and spells. Alternatively, the character may voluntarily petition an evil god that he now feels would be a better patron to him, and you can roll or just decide whether the evil god accepts them. Some sort of act or proof of their devotion or loyalty to the new god might be required, like the sacrifice of an innocent or the killing of a captive or stealing something from someone that trusts you (be creative and relate it to what sort of god it is).

Kane0
2017-08-03, 05:31 PM
Oh! Fun alternative: Ur-Priest.

The cleric functions exactly as normal, except that instead of praying and requesting spells from Torm he just takes the spell power that he needs. This has no mechanical change but big RP consequences that make a more entertaining game without impacting how the character functions.

Pex
2017-08-03, 05:43 PM
Define "forced". What happened in the game? Context is important. If it's against the character's will and against the player's will, it's bad form to force a player to change his character with either a new one or in roleplay and dock him class abilities for what, he failed a saving throw? In a sense it's worse than character death. If Torm is going to notice he is going to do something about it. He will send someone to fix the problem, a celestial or a cleric.

You'll have to metagame a little. It becomes the player's choice. He can accept the atonement and get his character back to normal. All is forgiven. It has to be the player's metagame choice because in character his character is not of his right mind to make the decision. If the player refuses then it's treated like a willful act of blasphemy on behalf of the character. If not outright attacked and killed by the celestial or cleric he becomes an NPC.

Townopolis
2017-08-03, 11:10 PM
Is the cleric level 10 or higher, and what exactly changed caused the alignment change?

imanidiot
2017-08-03, 11:53 PM
One of my party members has just had his chaotic good cleric of Torm have a forced alignment change to evil. only a wish spell or some kind if divine intervention can bring him back.

now he is chaotic evil and his god is lawful good. the book suggests that I take the character as an evil NPC but I have given him the choice to play on as evil or write a new character.

I am aware that there are no specific alignment restrictions, but how would you handle this change? do I revoke his spells? I am thinking revoke any spells that may be used to harm good people, keep things like healing, destroy undead etc.

If the Cleric is 10th level or higher have him roll for Divine Intervention once a day. When it succeeds jave Torm send an avatar to cast Wish to turn his alignment back. Since in this case it's actually Tormusing the ability Iiwould say roll the d100 even if the Cleric isnt level 10 yet. Onve he's back to mormal Torm can send him on a redemption quest as payback.