PDA

View Full Version : Fun gear for Planar Pirate

Postmodernist
2017-08-03, 06:13 PM
Hi guys. I'm in the process of finishing off my character Reclin the Rash. (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1290040) He got obscenely good rolls, and I'm focusing mostly on the potential fun of this build, which is Factotum 8/Chameleon 7 (yes, I know, there are better ways to enter Chameleon).

Thematically, he's a plane hopping pirate. I'm looking for WBL appropriate suggestions for fun equipment. The tentative plan is generalist/skill monkey equipment. Lots of stuff like smuggler's boots, wand bracers, basket hilts on my weapons, etc. I need more advice on the planar-type items.

Thanks for your suggestions!

unseenmage
2017-08-03, 10:12 PM
Are Planar Ring Gates from the Planar Handbook too expednsive?

When I used them I had multiple sets strewn through multiple extradimensional storage spaces and used Crawling Claws to fetch things from the network on demand.

Postmodernist
2017-08-04, 09:20 AM
I think WBL is 200,000 gp, so that's doable, but expensive. They do seem cool, though, and very appropriate for our planar corsair. This is completely on the right track, so thank you. I'd still love to hear additional flavorful equipment recommendations. Is AfroAkuma still around? I hear he's the local expert around these parts.

unseenmage
2017-08-04, 10:09 AM
Afro posted that they'll be on hiatus for a few days. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22256303&postcount=126) You could still pop over and post your question for the other dedicated planar experts to muse over though.

Glad you liked Planar Ring Gates, they're one of my most favorite items.

Postmodernist
2017-08-04, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

Postmodernist
2017-08-05, 10:31 PM
Shameless bump for a little more love.

Hiro Quester
2017-08-06, 12:09 AM
We are playing in a game right now where we sail a ship between planes (when we need to take more people and/or gear than a plane shift spells can handle.

You definitely need a planar helm (Stormwrack, p. 134). 65,520gp. Applies a Planar Navigation spell to your ship 3/day, so you can plane-shift your entire ship. With the added fun that occupants can make a will save to not go, and find themselves left behind in mid-ocean.

There are many other fun nautical-themed bits and bobs in storm wrack that a planar pirate might benefit from. (Everfull Sails that never run out of wind, sails of displacement that offer your ship a miss chance in ship-to-ship attacks, for instance).

Edit: the living figureheads are also kinda fun. Dragon Figurehead gives your ship a breath weapon and immunity to an energy type. the Ebony porpoise figurehead gives you double speed and the ability to leap your ship over reefs etc.

The Golden Shedu figurehead gives your ship the ability to fly and turn ethereal for 10 minutes/week. That's kinds planar. But 100,000 gp.

Postmodernist
2017-08-06, 09:36 AM
That's a really good suggestion. I'll look more at Stormrack as a source.

Any more commonly available items that would be useful? Something like the obsidian steed figurine of wondrous power, or the sword of the planes?

barakaka
2017-08-06, 07:07 PM
Yar har har!

Contract of Nepthas (C. Arc) for keepin' those scallywags from mutiny!
Explosive packs (Secrets of Sarlona) for sendin' ships to Davy Jones' locker.
Auran Mask (CMage) because every pirate could use some gills.
Pure Water (Plr Handbook) to bring water to the thirsty.
Desmodu Breathing Mask (MM II p. 64) for breathin' in space!
Wizard's Manacles (Sharn p.171) for lockin' 'em in the brig.
Feather Fall Talisman (Sharn p.170) never know when you'll need to jump off the mast.
Alchemical Tooth (Cadv) they'll never see you hang.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-06, 07:53 PM
Here is a link to knowledge planes. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21683971&postcount=8. This will be of value for dimensional sextant + planar sails.

With chamelion as a base, consider legacy champion and use your floating feat for a least weapon of legacy: and rock this monkeys paw made using weapons of legacy RAW. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20453140&postcount=177

Postmodernist
2017-08-06, 09:46 PM
Great suggestions! Thank you!

atemu1234
2017-08-07, 11:33 AM
I recommend stealing a silver sword from the Githzerai.

Postmodernist
2017-08-07, 03:50 PM
I recommend stealing a silver sword from the Githzerai.

An awesome idea, for sure, though the description I read states that the Githyanki will stop at nothing to regain one that is lost, and happily kill any non-Gith wielder. It'd be a very cool plot device, though.

Buddy76
2017-08-07, 07:39 PM
Get the planar tolerance special ability (Planar Handbook, page 78) on your armor or shield.

Postmodernist
2017-08-09, 09:48 AM
Get the planar tolerance special ability (Planar Handbook, page 78) on your armor or shield.

That is super helpful, and likely necessary. Thanks!

Krobar
2017-08-09, 06:12 PM
An idea that nobody ever really touches on... Municipal code books for each of the major cities you visit. There's nothing like being able to look up local statutes and civil procedure.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-09, 09:48 PM
An idea that nobody ever really touches on... Municipal code books for each of the major cities you visit. There's nothing like being able to look up local statutes and civil procedure.

Nah dude, just take a psicrystal feat to get a psicrystal, give some magic items that boost its intelligence by 7 points, take a gig with the harmonious order and get the psicrystal inducted as a member and then have the psicrystal take knight of tyr's holy judgment feat and it will know all the local laws and therefor you know all of the laws. Or screw it, get a wand of fox's cunning, and only give the psicrystal a +3 item of intelligence, and you can turn the feat on and off so you don't have to deal with the concentrated concepts of lawfullness that you've literally separated from your body and keep on a leash...

Krobar
2017-08-10, 07:55 AM
Nah dude, just take a psicrystal feat to get a psicrystal, give some magic items that boost its intelligence by 7 points, take a gig with the harmonious order and get the psicrystal inducted as a member and then have the psicrystal take knight of tyr's holy judgment feat and it will know all the local laws and therefor you know all of the laws. Or screw it, get a wand of fox's cunning, and only give the psicrystal a +3 item of intelligence, and you can turn the feat on and off so you don't have to deal with the concentrated concepts of lawfullness that you've literally separated from your body and keep on a leash...

I'll just stick with getting the books. Lol.