PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Convoluted Cohort

Gelcur
2017-08-03, 09:30 PM
So I am working on a Dragon Cohort and I am trying to maximize caster levels. I ended up with something a bit convoluted but I would like to make sure it is RAW.

Wyrmling Song Dragon 5HD+5LA
Feats: Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell
L6: Wizard1 - Alacritous Cogitation
L7: Sorcerer1
Dragonsblood pool
L8: Ultimate Magus1
Spellhoarding template
L9: Ultimate Magus2 - Spell Mastery
Dark Chaos Shuffle Alacritous Cogitation away for Uncanny Forethought.
L10-16: Ultimate Magus3-9

ECL 21, since Dragon Cohort feat raises the Cohort cap, CL 17.

Explanation:
Sorcerer uses Sanctum Spell to meet Dragonsblood pool prerequisite of spontaneously cast one arcane spell of 2nd level or higher. A 2nd level spell slot goes to the wixard which can be loaded with Heighten Spell. Ultimate Magus prerequisites is harsh, spontaneously cast 1st level or higher arcane spell, prepare AND cast 2nd level or higher arcane spell from a spell book.

Then the spellhoarding template gets applied sorcerer loses all its casting and those levels get added to wizard. At this point wizard CL 3 had access to 2nd level prepared slot and Alacritous Cogitation is used to give 1 spontaneous spell slot to the wizard so Ultimate Magus prerequisites are still met, without the dragonsblood pool. Later I swap for the superior Uncanny Forethought, once I have Spell Mastery. When Ultimate Magus levels are taken casting increases double for 6 of 9 levels,15/9.

Even if you subscribe to the school that a PrC can't progress one casting class more than once, this wizard has both spontaneous and prepared casting, there are technically 2 classes being progressed sorcerer and wizard, if spellhoarding template got applied at the end the result would be the same.

So that is it. Pleas feel free to comment or point out any rules mistakes. Or I'll take suggestions on how to make the build better as well. Thanks.