PDA

View Full Version : A Strength Fighting Kobold Barbarian build help

sflame56
2017-08-03, 10:10 PM
So I want to build a Kobold is a barbarian that uses strength for all his attacks and wishes to become the worlds strongest Kobold. Keeping it Adventure League legal how would I need to maximize this build. I am either between duel wielding long swords or two handing one and having a back up greatsword which pact tactics would help. (Advantage and Disadvantage would cancel out. Luckily Disadvantage and Advantage don't stack). I will be losing 2 str though since that is a downside to kobolds. With that in mind my starting str will be 13 if I use point buy or average and take a 15. Now if I do two 15s when I get my ability score improvement I can make str 14 and con 16. Now at this point should I focus on buffing my str all the way first or con since I am a barbarian? Should I try and hope on magic items that improve str or not? Should I add in two fighter levels for extra help and action surge?

evolutionXXVII
2017-08-03, 10:23 PM
I would take one level of Barb, then do the rest Fighter for the ASIs. Reckless won't do you any good with pack tactics. Call yourself a barb but you're really a fighter.

MeeposFire
2017-08-03, 11:09 PM
Going for strength is different and you can work with that but do not use a great sword. You will deal more damage overall by going with one handed weapons with advantage. Going two weapon actually works alright with barbs since you get rage damage an extra time per round which is nice.

Zene
2017-08-04, 02:49 AM
Dump str to 6. Pray for gauntlets of ogre power or a belt of giant str. Be a weak kobold before the drop --or use dex before the drop. After the drop, wreck face. Use ASI's for Con or feats.

Zene
2017-08-04, 02:52 AM
I do agree fighter might work better. Pack Tactics is a bit less useful on a class that already has the option to get advantage via reckless attack. But it's not that big of a deal, barbarian can definitely work.

PeteNutButter
2017-08-04, 12:39 PM
I used the DM quest to give myself an item from an adventure I ran.

My kobold effectively started with gauntlets of ogre power. I had a 19 str (hiding behind a 13, so I could still MC). I believe there is more than one adventure at tier one that gives them...

That aside your character is going to just be relatively bad.

Barb 1/Fighter x as previously suggested is probably the best bet.

Starting 13, 16, 15, 8, 10, 8 by level 7 would be 16, 16, 16, 8, 10, 8. Up until that point though, you are better using dex when not raging. By level 9 you finally have 18 str.

DW longswords is right out, as you can't afford a feat until level 15 (assuming max str is priority), even if go fighter. A greatsword is also bad, as killing your advantage to hit is not worth an extra 1.5 damage, while still lacking the feat for GWM. 1-hander and a shield are probably best approach, or TWF with handaxes or the like. If you are set on needing str for the build, maybe try a mounted build so you can use that big d12 for damage. Advantage, plus d12 damage die, and maybe even champion fighter could be fun, although still not optimal at all.