PDA

View Full Version : Older Campaigns

j_spencer93
2017-08-03, 11:16 PM
Can anyone link me to some older campaigns that are neat and unique? I don't really want a "enter the dungeon and retrieve this item" quest. So far I found the Apocalypse Stone, which is neat but want some others to draw ideas from. Actually, even homebrewed ones would be accepted.

bluthunda
2017-08-04, 12:48 AM
I had an idea the other day but would take a bit of work to form the world around where the characters start the campaign by joining a Thieves guild and working thier way up the ranks. All characters should have some sort of Criminal, Charlatan, or Urchinesqu background or other background that would make sense for them to join the guild. Each quest would be orders from the guild master sending them to retrieve gold and magic items from around the world.
Maybe one of your players decides they want to be the guild leader and convince the rest of the group to help them achieve that goal by hiding loot from thier boss until they are strong enough to take them on. At the same time maybe one of your other players is a plant from the boss in the group that feeds him information the whole time secretly from the other players.
Sounds like a campaign I'd like to play anyway the boss would definately have to be a brutish rogue with unmatched strength and cunning in the guild in my opinion.
I wouldn't ban any classes per say but maybe paladins and certain LG clerics/ any LG characters wouldn't really work but otherwise free reign on what they want to play but I would recommend to the players at least being proficient in stealth.

lunaticfringe
2017-08-04, 12:49 AM
Savage Tide & Age of Worms are both worth a look imo. They are 3.5 Dungeon Magazine 1-20 Adventure Paths. They both have parts that drag a bit if you use as written but it's not hard to tweak.

Dead Gods, I liked it but apparently it's hit & miss.

But you probably want old-school.

Expedition to Barrier Peaks is great. It's got Sci-fi though, not everyone's kink.

You could be a badass and attempt The Temple of Elemental Evil > Scourge of the Slave Lords > Queen of Spiders Supercampaign like a boss.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-04, 05:10 AM
Al Qadim is an Arabian Nights themed setting that was pretty cool.
It had things like 'seas of glass that characters traverse on racing sailboats on blades'. The strong desert theme is pretty far away from typical Europe-ish D&D.

There's also a new-ish module series called 'Anomolous Subsurface Environment' (ASE 1-3).
It's new, but it fits because it's distilled early D&D kitchen sink gonzo - dinosaurs, robots, lasers, all in a crazy mega-dungeon. I have them, and read through them - haven't played - but it looks like great fun.

thorr-kan
2017-08-04, 03:34 PM
Al Qadim is an Arabian Nights themed setting that was pretty cool.
I'll second the Al-Qadim campaign. Each boxed set gives you a preset campaign. And a lot of them can be used together to form an even bigger campaign.

For example, Corsairs of the Great Sea, A Dozen and One Adventures, and Assassins' Mountain all take place in the Free Cities. They'll take characters from 1-20 without anything else.

Cities of Bone and Ruined Kingdoms do the same for the Cities of the Ancients.

It had things like 'seas of glass that characters traverse on racing sailboats on blades'. The strong desert theme is pretty far away from typical Europe-ish D&D.
However, the pendant in me needs to point out the 'seas of glass that characters traverse on racing sailboats on blades' thing is from Dragonlance's Taladas continent. It's cool in it's own right (League of the Minotaurs!), but it's not Al-Qadim Cool (TM pending).

j_spencer93
2017-08-04, 04:09 PM
Hmm. Well thanks for the input.

The Al-Qadim campaign stuff I will look into, forgot about those.

Dead Gods??? I have never heard of that.
Savage tides is new to me too.
Age of worms is a blast, loved it, will look into it and see if it can help me with my creative stupor.
And the Rogue themed campaign sounds interesting, actually ran a similar idea before (not quite the same).

Beelzebubba
2017-08-04, 04:24 PM
However, the pendant in me needs to point out the 'seas of glass that characters traverse on racing sailboats on blades' thing is from Dragonlance's Taladas continent. It's cool in it's own right (League of the Minotaurs!), but it's not Al-Qadim Cool (TM pending).

Funny enough, we're both wrong. It was the Desert of Desolation module series that was Egyptian-themed that I conflated with Al Qadim.

NecroDancer
2017-08-04, 06:32 PM
I really enjoyed the 2e campaign Something Wild. Tales From the Infinite Staircase has some really cool adventures in it as well (and gave me the excuse to refrence Stairway to Heaven).

JeffreyGator
2017-08-04, 07:09 PM
For a 4-9 campaign I am using the A0-A4 Slavers series with milestone leveling and it is working really well for my group.

We used B2 from level 1-3.

thorr-kan
2017-08-05, 12:20 AM
Funny enough, we're both wrong. It was the Desert of Desolation module series that was Egyptian-themed that I conflated with Al Qadim.
The Glass-Sailors, p32, The Guide Book to Taladas, Time of the Dragon boxed set. Illustration on p36.

Though you're right, too. I never knew about I3-I5 before you mentioned it.

To the original question, B2 Keep on the Borderlands is *never* a wrong choice.

j_spencer93
2017-08-05, 11:28 AM
Ok well now i have a lot of looking up to do since i've never heard of any of these. lol

JackPhoenix
2017-08-05, 02:00 PM
Not that old (late 3.5), but Red Hand of Doom is one of the best, if not THE best campaign WotC made. There's a conversion thread to modify encounters for 5e here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525127-Converting-Red-Hand-of-Doom-to-5e)

j_spencer93
2017-08-05, 03:14 PM
Yea...tried running that once. My players got so side tracked it wasn't funny. Think that mission was a failure.