PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Feat idea, feedback appreciated.

goatmeal
2017-08-04, 12:00 AM
I'm working on a campaign idea that will include a dance party, and thought it might be good to include a feat option that could make it even more fun. Let me know what you think about this:

Durable Dancer
You have trained in the art of dancing, and can dance for hours on end with no negative effect.
• Choose constitution or dexterity, your ability score increases by 1 to a maximum of 20.
• Choose acrobatics or performance. You have advantage on the chosen skill check.
• You have advantage on constitution saves to avoid exhaustion.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-04, 05:10 PM
I'm working on a campaign idea that will include a dance party, and thought it might be good to include a feat option that could make it even more fun. Let me know what you think about this:

Durable Dancer
You have trained in the art of dancing, and can dance for hours on end with no negative effect.
• Choose constitution or dexterity, your ability score increases by 1 to a maximum of 20.
• Choose acrobatics or performance. You have advantage on the chosen skill check.
• You have advantage on constitution saves to avoid exhaustion.
As i play the bladesinger and love to perform and dance this is fine. I really love this now i need to find a skill that lets me do the spell casting component of movement to dancing

JBPuffin
2017-08-04, 07:36 PM
The feat itself is balanced, I think, but that exhaustion ability does make a berserker barbarian quite likely to become Conan the Conga-Barian. Or anyone who doesn't like exhaustion, really...

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-04, 08:53 PM
The feat itself is balanced, I think, but that exhaustion ability does make a berserker barbarian quite likely to become Conan the Conga-Barian. Or anyone who doesn't like exhaustion, really...

Yeah but how intimidating os a barbarian that does the electric slide or the running man towards an enemy

Lalliman
2017-08-05, 05:12 AM
The feat itself is balanced, I think, but that exhaustion ability does make a berserker barbarian quite likely to become Conan the Conga-Barian.
Berserkers don't get a save against the exhaustion caused by their frenzy. So there's no change to their mechanics.

Anyways, it's probably better to give Expertise in the chosen skill instead of advantage, since giving advantage by default removes the ability to gain situational advantage.

But yes, it seems balanced. Advantage (or expertise) in acrobatics or performance is only a minor benefit, and Con saves to avoid exhaustion probably don't come up very often, unless you're playing Dark Sun or something. Perfectly fine for a half feat.

JNAProductions
2017-08-05, 10:49 AM
Acrobatics DOES have a very good use in avoiding grapples.

Seconded on granting Expertise instead of Advantage.

goatmeal
2017-08-05, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like everyone so far seems to think it is balanced well enough. I hadn't seen a feat that had two benefits along with a +1 ability modifier, but they both seemed less powerful than any of the other tag along benefits I had seen. I will consider making it expertise instead of advantage.

I don't see anything that odd about a dancing barbarian, though. Maybe a dancing paladin would be odd.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like everyone so far seems to think it is balanced well enough. I hadn't seen a feat that had two benefits along with a +1 ability modifier, but they both seemed less powerful than any of the other tag along benefits I had seen. I will consider making it expertise instead of advantage.

I don't see anything that odd about a dancing barbarian, though. Maybe a dancing paladin would be odd.
A dancing vengence paladin yes devotion 50 50 on the odd factor oath of the ancients might be normal