PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass Question

EmperorSkiratta
2017-08-04, 01:27 AM
So, my friends and I are starting a new campaign soon, and it starts at level 3. I'm going full Paladin up to this point, using a homebrew oath, Oath of Despair. I know I want up to level 7 in the oath at some point, since that improves my smite.

I also want to grab the rest of the levels in Sorcerer. I've decided to use the Favored Soul, specifically the version of it in the Revised Subclasses UA.

My question is when should I start grabbing Sorcerer levels, and when should I switch back and grab the last couple Paladin levels I want if I don't got straight to 7? Any help would be appreciated.

The Oath of Despair is a darker, more realistic oath. Sometimes called dread knights, or mistaken for bone knights, the paladins who take this oath decide to embrace the darkness, finding it easier to combat the monsters by becoming one themselves. Those who follow this path have to be careful that the darkness does not consume them, scaring* them permanently.

Realistic Perspective - There is always hope, but there is realistic hope. Remain realistic in our hopes and our goals.

Embrace the Darkness - Never hesitate when journeying in the unknown, for there are the demons we work so hard to fight.

Never Frightened - Never fear any monster you come across, because they should not be feared. We should be feared.

1st - Detect Magic, Protection from Evil and Good

2nd - Darkness, Darkvision

Mark of Despair - You can use your Channel Divinity to mark a target with a tinge of despair. As a bonus action, you can point to a target within 30 feet. The creature must make a Charisma saving throw, or gain the Mark of Despair. Any target marked with Despair takes an additional 1d8 necrotic damage from all damage for 1 minute.

Cast Shadows - As an action, you can envelop another creature in shadow. The creature must make a Wisdom saving throw, and on a failed save, the creature is shrouded in darkness, as if darkness was cast on it. The creature cannot see farther than 5 feet ahead of it, and this darkness is considered magical. This effect lasts for 1 minute.

Beginning at 7th level, you can augment your smites with hellfire. When you hit a creature with a Smite, you can deal an additional 1d6 fire damage. You can augment your smites in such a way a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier before needing to take a short of long rest.

Grants access to Cleric spell list in addition to Sorcerer spell list. Also adds cure wounds to spells known, and it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells known.

Starting at 1st level, divine power guards your destiny. If you fail a saving throw or miss with an attack roll, you can roll 2d4 and add it to the total, possibly changing the outcome. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Starting at 6th level, the celestial energy coursing through you can empower your healing magic. Whenever you roll dice to determine the number of hit points a sorcerer spell of yours restores, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll any number of those dice once.

*Copied directly from source, I think this is supposed to be scarring.

Chugger
2017-08-04, 01:56 AM
I believe that's discussed in here - hope it helps (I do like this thread) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass

EmperorSkiratta
2017-08-04, 01:59 AM
Thank your for that. Should come in handy.

Chugger
2017-08-04, 03:46 AM
My pleasure. You may want to go pal til 5 to get 2 attacks, or 6 to get 2 attacks and aura. Then go sorc to get more spell slots to convert to smites (and possibly cast). I'd say five is a big one, because if you don't have 2 attacks you simply will not be keeping up with damage as you level. But see what others say - and the link I put iirc is helpful on the various ways of doing this.

Oh, if your pal lvl 7 feature is amazing, you may want to go for that. The longer you put off switching to sorc, the more you have to live with pal's limited slots. Divine smite is good burst damage for a pal but if usable much more often with a sorcadin - well I've yet to level up there. But it does sound like one of the few multis I'd try out.