PDA

View Full Version : The god of extra attacks?

that_one_kobold
2017-08-04, 02:13 AM
I'm going into a curse of strahd campaign, and I'm making a kobold (duh) who is short and has a short temper, sorta like belkar. (Or that kobold from the linear guild) I think i want to build him around being a god of attacking muktiple times. I'm certainly dual weilding, and i might be able to convince my DM to let me use an archetype fron a different class. (Maybe fighter with hunter conclave from ranger?) What do you guys suggest?

that_one_kobold
2017-08-04, 02:29 AM
Quick side note, revised ranger hunter conclave wilk probably be the one i choose over the core ranger hunter conclave

Zene
2017-08-04, 02:39 AM
If you're only playing to L10 or less, then yes a hunter/fighter hybrid will get you the most attacks. Either Hunter 3 / Fighter X, or Fighter 2 / Hunter X. Go with the latter if there's a chance you'll play to 13, and your DM likes to clump enemies together (because Whirlwind Attack / Volley at Hunter 11).

But if you want smooth progression, you want the most attacks in the most situations, and/or you think you'll play the chracter past L10, IMO straight fighter is the way to go.

With dual wielding, as a straight fighter you have three attacks per round at L5. And sure, that's standard fare for martial classes. But you also can action surge for five attacks total in a round, which no other martial class can do. If you have a caster friend who casts haste on you, that becomes 6 attacks.

At 11, you now have four attacks per round, better than every other martial class (except hunter, and even then hunter only beats it in extremely rare situations). Five per round with Haste, eight in a round when you also use action surge.

At 17, you get a second action surge, so now you're looking at 16 attacks in the first two rounds if hasted and using both surges. That is insane.

At 20, that jumps to 18 attacks in the first two rounds.

If you're not sure you'll have a caster friend to haste you, go Eldritch Knight so you can haste yourself at 12.

Potato_Priest
2017-08-04, 01:02 PM
Make sure you get the sentinel feat (or if you go battlemaster, get the riposte maneuver) since those are good options to get a more reliable reaction attack, adding yet another one to your volley of stabs.

Specter
2017-08-04, 01:31 PM
A quick recipe:

- Extra Attack
- Dual-wielding
- Horde Breaker
- Action Surge
- Reaction attack

Should be more than enough.

King539
2017-08-04, 05:56 PM
Haste might be helpful.

djreynolds
2017-08-04, 06:09 PM
In CoS, I highly recommend access to protection from evil. 10 minute spell, so even good for once a day, if you grabbed magic initiate. Charm and fear suck

Naanomi
2017-08-04, 09:40 PM
Most attacks would be like... a Hasted Fighter 11/Monk 2/Ranger 3? 3+1 Attacks + 2 Martial Arts + 1 Horde Breaker; Action Surge for 3 more?

FinnS
2017-08-04, 09:59 PM
Most attacks would be like... a Hasted Fighter 11/Monk 2/Ranger 3? 3+1 Attacks + 2 Martial Arts + 1 Horde Breaker; Action Surge for 3 more?

Beat me to it.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-04, 10:07 PM
Halfling (or other small race) Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave 11 / Favored Soul from this UA article (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes) / Fighter 3 (battle master). Use TWF and take Dual Wielder.

Twin cast Haste on yourself and the wolf you're riding (sorcerer).
Become surrounded by eight creatures.
Wolf uses Storm of Claws and Fangs to make one attack against each creature within 5' - eight attacks. Each of these triggers a strength save or the creature falls prone.
Wolf uses Haste to make a ninth attack, same strength save as above.
You take the attack action and make one attack.
Wolf uses his reaction via Coordinated Attack to make a tenth attack, same strength save as above.
You continue your attack action and make a second attack (extra attack from favored soul), then use your bonus action to make a third attack (TWF).
You action surge and make a fourth and fifth attack.

You and your wolf have just made fifteen combined attacks. All of the wolf's attacks had advantage due to pack tactics. Since they all triggered a strength save or prone, and he made a lot of attacks, odds are good that all of yours will have advantage as well. Altogether, you should have rolled 30D20 this turn.

Or

Hunter Ranger 11 / Fighter Champion 3 / Barbarian 6
Surrounded by enemies: whirlwind attack, action surge whirlwind attack, horde breaker = 17 attacks. Use reckless attack to give them all advantage for 34D20 this turn. With champion, 34D20, you're almost guaranteed to roll a few crits.