PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine in 5e

GoblinGuy
2017-08-04, 02:53 AM
Anyone have ideas? Maybe a dwarven barb? Homebrew is welcome.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-04, 04:39 AM
I'm not an expert on the comics, but one of my colleagues wrote this (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/03/the-feral-ravager.html), which is supposed to be based on Wolverine. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

clash
2017-08-04, 08:49 AM
The immortal mystic from ua with the right disciplines also makes a very good wolverine.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-04, 09:03 AM
The immortal mystic from ua with the right disciplines also makes a very good wolverine.

Soul Knife Mystic isn't bad either, if you fluff away the psychic nature of the weapons.

Vogie
2017-08-04, 09:33 AM
Zonugal posted THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22084010&postcount=2)in his House of Marvel's thread

Sirithhyando
2017-08-04, 09:38 AM
The soulknife mystic is really Psylocke
Theres another power that lets you grow claws as natural weapon, exactly as wolverine. I dont have the name in mind, but i'd go that way to do it.

Vogie
2017-08-04, 09:50 AM
The soulknife mystic is really Psylocke
Theres another power that lets you grow claws as natural weapon, exactly as wolverine. I dont have the name in mind, but i'd go that way to do it.

That would be Alter Self (https://open5e.com/Spellcasting/spells_a-z/a/alter-self.html).

Warlocks get an invocation to use that at will, but requires level 15. You may be able to use it as a Pact of the Blade Warlock (requires level 3), where your blade pact manifests as claws from both hands rather than a one or two-hand weapon. It'd require DM approval, but it's not a huge bend, so it would likely be fine.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-04, 10:11 AM
That would be Alter Self (https://open5e.com/Spellcasting/spells_a-z/a/alter-self.html).

Warlocks get an invocation to use that at will, but requires level 15. You may be able to use it as a Pact of the Blade Warlock (requires level 3), where your blade pact manifests as claws from both hands rather than a one or two-hand weapon. It'd require DM approval, but it's not a huge bend, so it would likely be fine.

I think he's thinking more "Beastial Form" Discipline from the Order of the Immortal. And on second thought, I do have to agree with that Order choice, since immortals basically gain regenerative HP every turn, plus Immortal Will at 14 to keep coming back from the dead.

Big Papa Turnip
2017-08-04, 10:15 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Primal Savagery, from UA Starter Spells.

Transmutation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
Your teeth or fingernails lengthen and sharpen. You choose which. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 piercing or slashing damage (your choice). After you make the attack, your teeth or fingernails return to normal.

The spell's damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

It's only on the druid spell list, but that's easily worked around via Magic Initiate.

Sirithhyando
2017-08-04, 11:06 AM
I think he's thinking more "Beastial Form" Discipline from the Order of the Immortal. And on second thought, I do have to agree with that Order choice, since immortals basically gain regenerative HP every turn, plus Immortal Will at 14 to keep coming back from the dead.
Bestial form ! Yes, pretty sure that was the one :smallbiggrin:
And yes, the temp HP every turn goes well with wolverine idea.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Primal Savagery, from UA Starter Spells.

Transmutation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
Your teeth or fingernails lengthen and sharpen. You choose which. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 piercing or slashing damage (your choice). After you make the attack, your teeth or fingernails return to normal.

The spell's damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

It's only on the druid spell list, but that's easily worked around via Magic Initiate.

That's definitly a nice catch and something i'll probably do one day :smallbiggrin:

AFB... moon druid can cast spell at some point right? Any animal with this gets way stronger :smallbiggrin:

xroads
2017-08-04, 12:47 PM
Anyone have ideas? Maybe a dwarven barb? Homebrew is welcome.

I think you hit the nail on the head. A dwarf because of Wolvie's smallish statue (though not halfling). Then probably bear barbarian (but refluffed to be a wolverine).

Also I seem to recall there being a dwarven prestige class that wore spikey armor and liked to grapple. in earlier editions of D&D. That strikes me as another possibility if homebrew is allowed.

Zonugal posted THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22084010&postcount=2)in his House of Marvel's thread

Yeah, it's too bad Zonugal hasn't posted in awhile. I liked seeing the various interpretations and the art work Zonugal would find for them.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-04, 12:50 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. A dwarf because of Wolvie's smallish statue (though not halfling). Then probably bear barbarian (but refluffed to be a wolverine).

Also I seem to recall there being a dwarven prestige class that wore spikey armor and liked to grapple. in earlier editions of D&D. That strikes me as another possibility if homebrew is allowed.

There's a Barb subclass called the Battlerager in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide that allows for spiked armor. Still, despite having the right attitude, I don't think that it will give the right feel of attacking with claws.

Bloodcloud
2017-08-04, 12:52 PM

Yeah, it's too bad Zonugal hasn't posted in awhile. I liked seeing the various interpretations and the art work Zonugal would find for them.

The dwarven prestige class has been adapted in SCAG, thus is fully AL legal. No homebrew needed! Nut can't remeber the name.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-04, 12:55 PM
Dwarf barbarian Totem Warrior, going Bear at 3 and Wolf at 6 dual wielding shortswords or scimitars really gets you pretty much there. Either dwarf works, but I think Hill for the extra HP is more thematic.

Edit: the Samurai form UA works quite well too.

Zonugal
2017-08-04, 02:40 PM

Work has been AWFUL this summer, but I'm still working here & there on some stuff!

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-04, 02:45 PM
Druids are the easiest way to do it, since you should be able to simply use beast form and turn into one at level 2. There aren't any specific rules for wolverines yet, but badgers are probably the closest. Ask your DM about refluffing them.

Wizards, bards, and warlocks can all do it after they get access to polymorph. If you're looking for optimizing being a wolverine, try playing a barbarian and convincing your wizard/bard/warlock buddy to polymorph you. You'll get that ornery aggressiveness wolverines are known for down pat, and be pretty tanky considering your extremely low hp pool.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-04, 02:46 PM
Druids are the easiest way to do it, since you should be able to simply use beast form and turn into one at level 2. There aren't any specific rules for wolverines yet, but badgers are probably the closest. Ask your DM about refluffing them.

Wizards, bards, and warlocks can all do it after they get access to polymorph. If you're looking for optimizing being a wolverine, try playing a barbarian and convincing your wizard/bard/warlock buddy to polymorph you. You'll get that ornery aggressiveness wolverines are known for down pat, and be pretty tanky considering your extremely low hp pool.

Sarcasm? Really hoping that this is sarcasm.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-04, 02:49 PM
Honestly, asking your DM for some claws (permanent alter self, wizard experiment perhaps) and then playing a human barbarian is probably as close as you're going to get. There's no good way to replicate his healing factor in 5e, at least that I know of. The closest thing I know of is Survivor from Champion, and that doesn't come online until level 18.

I'd build a custom Barbarian archetype with self-healing and Keen Hearing and Smell from the Wolf statblock.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-04, 03:03 PM
Sarcasm? Really hoping that this is sarcasm.
What, no love for violent woodland creatures ending every sentence with "bub"?

GoblinGuy
2017-08-04, 11:17 PM
Thanks for all the help! It is much appreciated!

suplee215
2017-08-04, 11:20 PM
Dwarf only battlerager primal path made me feel so much like Wolverine. only thing you need to do is fluff the claws which isn't hard at all. Might require questions on how to handle the armor, but the temp hit points each reckless attack is damn close to regeneration.

Talionis
2017-08-05, 12:14 AM
Life Cleric 17 to maximize all healing. UA Primal Saveragery from a feat. Ranger 3 Hunter for Hunters Mark spell so you can track

Basically every heal is maximized, only cast heals on yourself.

Quoxis
2017-08-05, 03:41 AM
Can't believe everyone is so focused on growing claws when wolverines real superpower is being near immortal because of his healing factor. (And some dog-ish features)
Standing up after being knocked down screams long death monk.
Hill dwarf, at least 13 in dex, wis and str.
Start barbarian (for unarmored defense), totem warrior, bear (obviously), then go monk, maybe throw in a level of ranger for flavor at some point.
Totem barb 4/long death monk 16 (or 15 + ranger 1)
Spread should be con>str>dex>wis>int>cha
You have unarmored defense from con+dex, attacks are made with str (which doesn't change anything from the monk's perspective but gives +2 bonus damage per hit while raging), and after monk 11 you won't ever die in combat unless you decide marching into a herd of 30 Tarrasques is a good idea, because at that point you can sacrifice 1(!) ki point to drop to 1hp instead of dropping unconcious, and that's after The opponent hacks through your high hp from high con and being a dwarf, which in turn are also guarded by your rage.
For attacks, reflavor a dagger to claws or ask your gm if he could simply change unarmed strikes from bludgeoning to slashing damage.

The build is MAD, but wolverine isn't a normal dude.