PDA

View Full Version : Cool Mystic Builds/Combos that aren't Star Wars related?

Theonly1331
2017-08-04, 03:35 AM
I have only seen people talk about mystic builds/combos a couple times, and it almost always just leads to people doing Star Wars builds. Anyone have any that aren't Star Wars themed? I am mostly want to see good Synergy builds that people may have come up with.

Jerrykhor
2017-08-04, 03:55 AM
Are you sure? They seem more X-men and Marvel heroes to me than anything

Awakened - Charles Xavier
Soul Knife - Psylocke
Nomad - Nightcrawler
Bestial Form - Wolverine
Iron Durability - Colossus
Mastery of Fire - Phoenix/Human Torch
Mastery of Ice - Iceman
Mastery of Weather - Storm
Mastery of Light and Darkness - Cloak and Dagger
Diminution/Giant Growth - Ant Man

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-04, 04:43 AM
Are you sure? They seem more X-men and Marvel heroes to me than anything

Awakened - Charles Xavier
Soul Knife - Psylocke
Nomad - Nightcrawler
Bestial Form - Wolverine
Iron Durability - Colossus
Mastery of Fire - Phoenix/Human Torch
Mastery of Ice - Iceman
Mastery of Weather - Storm
Mastery of Light and Darkness - Cloak and Dagger
Diminution/Giant Growth - Ant Man

I think he was talking about specific builds no just disciplines. In any case I had a bugbear max reach build, with Primordial Ranger levels, Giant growth, Reach weapon., for like 45ft reach when attacking.

You can make a decent teleporter with Feral Tiefling Soulknife or Nomad (i say soulknife because Nightcrawler was a fencer and and soulknives are basically psychic light rapiers. ). A lot of UNLIMITED POWER type of magic damage blaster, glass cannon type can work with any of the orders except soul knife. Class is really good with with just using every ounce of effort into whatever you want. Mystic is good for a lot of concepts that the standard classes don't accomplish or don't accomplish easily.

tieren
2017-08-04, 08:06 AM
I did a super skrull build with brute force, fire, and invisibility/force powers, I'll try to dig it up. Not really planning on spending more time on mystic til it gets published someplace more official.

Maxilian
2017-08-04, 09:39 AM
You could go with a Mystic / Warlock build, use EB as your main source of damage, go with the Diminution talent and you can use a small mount while being Tiny, at lvl 11 you can use the Microscopic form and, maybe, mount one of your familiars and use EB while you rock the +10 sneak and +5 AC.

tieren
2017-08-04, 10:33 AM
Here it is:

Ok, so I actually did just try to make the super-skrull mystic and was a bit surprised by how much I liked the end result:

I assumed 3rd level (level of campaign I am currently running).

I selected Order of Wu Jen, disciplines of:
Mastery of fire
Mastery of force
Nomadic Chameleon
Brute Force

He can do powerful punches, mighty leaps, and feats of str.
He can go invisible (even as a cantrip),and hide in plain sight.
He can push characters and move things with telekinetic force, erect a telekinetic barrier, and grasp stuff.
He can kill things with fire.

All staying below the 3 PP limit (for each not total).

With the mastery of fire focus and fire based energy beam talent can shoot enemies at 1d8+2 all day long, and if anyone is fire resistant just switch to different damage type.

he can't fly yet, but can pick that up with another discipline at 5th level or arcane dabbler for it at 6th level.

I also note that of his 13 different discipline/spells, only 3 use the bonus action (step from sight, brute strike, and feats of str) and I don't see myself getting conflicted much on which to use when.

Ventruenox
2017-08-04, 12:12 PM
I rolled up an amazingly thematic mystic/monk combo that I had to relegate to NPC status since it would have broken the game as a PC.

Using an Amonkhet Naga, Mystic (Immortal) 1/Monk (Open Hand) X
Disciplines: Brute Force, Giant Growth, Telepathic Contact
Talent: Mystic Charm

The Naga's natural weapons get powered up as Martial Arts die increases, and they still have powerful rider effects. You can also poison darts with your own poison or harvest some from monsters with impunity to those high DCs. (Immune to Poison)

The AC calculation for Order of the Immortal is redundant and inferior to the Monk's unarmored defense, despite the Racial bonus for Naga. Potentially it could come in handy if your WIS gets lowered temporarily, but that is not why you take this Mystic Path. You are taking it for the bonus disciplines. I will only address the discipline powers that cost 2pp or less for this build.

While 4pp isn't a lot, it is enough to do 2-3 cool things per long rest. Sometimes, that is enough. More importantly are the psychic focus benefits. Some of those are equally on par with a fighting style as far as play power goes. With these disciplines, the Naga has 3 modes: Reach Striker (amazing for glass cannon classes), Grappler, or Silent Communications. You switch between modes with a bonus action.

Brute Strength allows for 1 or 2d6 to be tacked on to your attack with a bonus action (meh - just use flurry of blows). You can stack the knockback with your open hand shove by using your reaction (situational, but useful). The Mighty Leap can stack with Step of the Wind to leap 80' in free action economy. (Spending ki to double jump distance does not require a bonus action. It allows for Disengage/Dash as a bonus action. The jump buff is a free effect.) Feat of Strength allows you to spend pp to add 5 to your STR checks (Grappling!).

Quick note about Naga Grappling: the racial ability for attacking with the serpentine body adds the Grappled and Restrained conditions to your opponent as a no-save rider effect. It also has a calculated DC to escape. This specific rule will trump the general Grappling rules, so the advantage of Brute Strength's Psychic Focus does not apply RAW. Individual DMs may rule for disadvantage on the escape roll, or to allow for double your proficiency bonus to the DC, or whatever they want. You can still do normal Grappling attacks if you choose instead, where the advantage on rolls would apply. I leave it to the DMs to determine how Grappling would work with Reach if that is what would be used as a focus. However it gets ruled, using Flurry of Blows to knock them Prone as well while Grappled and Restrained is a valid attrition tactic to further control the opponent. Yours and your allies attack rolls have advantage for the duration. Apologies in advance if other posters derail your thread with arguments on this.

The Giant Growth Discipline gets you reach on your attacks as the psychic focus. For a hit and run playstyle, that is amazing. For 10 minutes and concentration, you can also make yourself as big as an ogre. Always a fun visual.

Telepathic Contact is also quite thematic for this snake. You have hypnotic powers that allow you to force a true answer out of an NPC, a limited Suggestion-esque Jedi Mind trick (because I just had to make a Star Wars reference here. Nyah!), or use the focus to coordinate your party telepathically. I like the idea of using it as his primary communication, since role playing hissing at the table gets old after a while.

The Mystic Charm talent also coincides with the hypnotic cobra image. Charm someone for one round at 120'. Who needs ranged weapons when you can deny opponents their action from across the field? Out of combat, this is a better version of the Friends cantrip.

The biggest downside is that this build is MAD as hell. If you roll for stats though, the opportunity for feats come into play. Mobile, Alert, Skulker, and Mage Slayer pop readily to mind. Backstory is also easy to insert. Here was the one I went with: A promising initiate in Amonkhet is preparing for the trials when he is forcibly summoned by a mage looking for a guardian. Naga frees itself from servitude, but now faces a world where the dead don't always come back, nor are the religious doctrines that consume Amonkhet present in the world. There is a lot of room to learn and grow as a character. Since I'm a child of the 80's, there was one name that seemed to fit this character: Kobra Kai. If a man can't stand, a man can't fight. Sweep the leg, Johnny.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-04, 12:17 PM
The Giant Growth Discipline gets you reach on your attacks as the psychic focus. For a hit and run playstyle, that is amazing. For 10 minutes and concentration, you can also make yourself as big as an ogre. Always a fun visual.

Especially on a Halfling. Because then you just get people wondering what the proper nomenclature is there. Is he a giant Halfling? A Doubling? A Half-Giant? A Gialing?