PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian: Path of the dragon [WIP] Updated

dragsaw
2017-08-04, 05:31 AM
PATH OF THE DRAGON

Call upon dragon power to hit dudes in the face, or something. I'm working on the fluff.

3rd Level:
Resistance to selected dragon’s element when raging
You gain a breath weapon based on your selected element (see table) The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6+Rage damage damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 4d6+Rage at 6th level, 6d6+Rage at 11th level, 8d6+Rage at 16th level and 10d6+Rage at 20th level. This ability can be used once per long rest, gaining an extra charge at 6th, 13th and 17th level.

6th Level:
You gain a small portion of a dragon’s legendary resistance, when raging you have advantage on all saving throws

10th Level:
While raging, you get immunity to your chosen element And resistance when not not raging.

14th Level:
let loose a terrifying roar that frightens all enemies who can see and hear you within a 120ft radius (DC16)

BREATH TABLE

Black: Acid 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)

Blue: Lightning 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)

Brass: Fire 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)

Bronze: Lightning 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)

Copper: Acid 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)

Gold: Fire 15 ft. cone (Dex. save)

Green: Poison 15 ft. cone (Con. save)

Red: Fire 15 ft. cone (Dex. save)

Silver: Cold 15 ft. cone (Con. save)

White: Cold 15 ft. cone (Con. save)

Amnoriath
2017-08-04, 09:33 AM
1. Despite saying this is intended to be more offensive it has incredibly strong defensive capabilities. Immunity to say fire damage and Fear is quite strong, advantage on saves against magic is really strong, you have both and you at least need to get rid of advantage on saves against magic since that isn't a Dragon feature. Also flat advantage on intimidate checks and Dragon's Roar are redundant(plus weak save and at will?).
2. Personally what you need to do is establish a breath weapon mechanic. While the once per rage is simple enough it doesn't quite have the bang or intricacy you could get out of it. While it seems that up the uses would be the choice the problem is it could leave a lot of spamming between just raging again. So instead a short rest mechanic is probably better, than you don't need to rage every time to use all the effective stuff. So I would twice, gain another use at level 10, and replenish one when you would enter a Rage at 14. Additionally lets bring in the different dragons to not only give some different breath weapons, but also different utility. As such a player can really have a lot of fun crafting their character's personality and story.

dragsaw
2017-08-04, 10:12 AM
1. Despite saying this is intended to be more offensive it has incredibly strong defensive capabilities. Immunity to say fire damage and Fear is quite strong, advantage on saves against magic is really strong, you have both and you at least need to get rid of advantage on saves against magic since that isn't a Dragon feature. Also flat advantage on intimidate checks and Dragon's Roar are redundant(plus weak save and at will?).
2. Personally what you need to do is establish a breath weapon mechanic. While the once per rage is simple enough it doesn't quite have the bang or intricacy you could get out of it. While it seems that up the uses would be the choice the problem is it could leave a lot of spamming between just raging again. So instead a short rest mechanic is probably better, than you don't need to rage every time to use all the effective stuff. So I would twice, gain another use at level 10, and replenish one when you would enter a Rage at 14. Additionally lets bring in the different dragons to not only give some different breath weapons, but also different utility. As such a player can really have a lot of fun crafting their character's personality and story.

Having a set number of uses per shortest and recharge on rage is a good idea, that and i never considered rage spam or how it would work with the unlimited rage at lv 20. I might play around with the damage scaling so it fits better with the charge scaling. The different breath weapons could be a fun idea with each charge being a different one.

I did always consider fear abilities to "offensive" abilities. You are right about the advantage on spell saves, i do kinda want to change it if i think of something to replace it with. Basically it's a hold out for a super early idea based on the dragon's legendary resistance, i may end up putting the fear as the lv 10 and flight as the lv 14 ability? That flight is way better than the eagle totem one though.

dragsaw
2017-08-06, 07:10 AM
So i guess at this point it's more just coming up with ideas for different abilities at this point as most of them seem kinda lame. I am tempted to make the breath weapon the lv 14 ability but that seems like it will change the personality of this build.

Bobbyjackcorn
2017-08-07, 03:54 PM
So i guess at this point it's more just coming up with ideas for different abilities at this point as most of them seem kinda lame. I am tempted to make the breath weapon the lv 14 ability but that seems like it will change the personality of this build.

Personally I would scrap the base idea of the breath weapon, make them like a cantrip of that element with similar damage scaling.
Then work in abilities surrounding mobility and movement, maybe give something similar to cunning action.
I certainly understand I've not given a lot of flesh to this, just a thought for direction. I think a mobility and range based barbarian could be cool for this.