PDA

View Full Version : Double Proficiency Bonus

Karthull
2017-08-04, 08:16 PM
I looked around a bit and couldnt find an answer to this question, I know that you dont get double proficiencys say if background and class both grant skills, but I was wondering if you could use two different proficiencies on an appropriate check, like survival and animal handling together to calm down or tame a wild animal

Ventruenox
2017-08-04, 08:21 PM
One PC cannot. Two or more PCs may collaborate as such at the DMs discretion.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-04, 08:31 PM
Generally, you add proficiency only once unless otherwise specified. Combination rolls might ask for an X roll followed by a Y roll, or allow the player to choose one. I haven't seen anything that asks for a combined check from one player.

Karthull
2017-08-04, 08:38 PM
I'm not saying if something normally asks for a combined check, but rather if I can think of a reason why two skills would work for the one task I'm attempting, can I double proficiency bonus by using both skills

Anymage
2017-08-04, 08:48 PM
If you can think up ways for two skills to apply to a single check, someone else will surely start looking to justify two or more. Then skill checks quickly turn into a game of who can justify piling on their proficiency bonus more times.

Bounded accuracy is based on the idea that you can only add a limited number of modifiers. You can already push the system into unsteady territory with just expertise and one added factor like bardic inspiration. Allowing you to add your proficiency modifier multiple times, unless it's explicitly allowed by a mechanic like expertise, is explicitly forbidden in the rules. For good reason.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-08-04, 08:50 PM
No. Even if the DM allows multiple skills to add your proficiency bonus for a check (e.g. Athletics and Acrobatics), you still add it only once. This is a fundamental rule.

Karthull
2017-08-04, 08:52 PM
Ok thats what I was asking, I couldnt find anything stating that. Also I won't have any of those double proficiency things from being a filthy bard or rogue, so I was hoping to (rarely) get to match their bonus

Naanomi
2017-08-04, 08:59 PM
One can do the help Action to give advantage to the other in most circumstances