PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Trickery Devotion = Free Material Components?

RoboEmperor
2017-08-04, 09:25 PM
1. At level 10, the simulacrum creates phantom versions of all your equipment.
2. Errata says phantom versions of your equipment do not have magical or alchemical effects.

Material components are mundane objects that are annihilated when the spell is cast. There is nothing written about spells failing when using the phantom versions, therefore...

Trickery Devotion = Free Material Components?

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-05, 12:38 AM
In practical terms, you can use this exploit exactly once, and only if you blindside the DM with it, and they didn't see this post. Best only done if your partying is floundering for 20-30 minutes and use of this exploit progresses the plotline. It will be banned thereafter.

In theoretical terms, the word "phantom" might get you here. "Phantom" can be non magical and non alchemical (incorporeal creatures exist). So this year could still be inadequate because material components tend not to need phantom materials.

As DM I would make your spell a phantom spell, it uses your spell slot and looks like the spell you cast occurred, but it is just an illusionary hologram of what the spell does that even you the caster has to will save to see through. (And it outright fails for spells without a visual/aural tell) then the player can decide how to use their phantom components.

RoboEmperor
2017-08-05, 02:02 AM
In practical terms, you can use this exploit exactly once, and only if you blindside the DM with it, and they didn't see this post. Best only done if your partying is floundering for 20-30 minutes and use of this exploit progresses the plotline. It will be banned thereafter.

Blindsiding the DM is one of the most stupid things you can do. First you confirm the RAW, then you present to your DM, and if he doesn't have a problem with it you play it.

Crake
2017-08-05, 02:11 AM
Do phantom material components have any worth? I'd say not, since they're going to disappear as soon as it stops touching your illusion, or simply just over time. Thus a phantom 1500gp worth of diamond dust or whatever would have no actual worth, and thus not be usable as a material component.

Zaq
2017-08-05, 10:21 AM
Blindsiding the DM is one of the most stupid things you can do. First you confirm the RAW, then you present to your DM, and if he doesn't have a problem with it you play it.

Speaking for myself alone (and I am not the person you were addressing here), I have always attempted to live by the motto that "surprising the GM is good; blindsiding the GM is bad." Both as a GM and as a player.

It's nice to see that someone else feels similarly.

JNAProductions
2017-08-05, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure this works RAW, I'm pretty much positive it doesn't work RAI, and regardless, ask your DM.