PDA

View Full Version : The tanky gnome.

MisterABM
2017-08-04, 11:11 PM
Hello friends, got another puzzling session for you. I have a campaign where I play a gnome eldritch knight fighter, (Dawnforged had an iron man build that looked cool so I built off of it). I am hilariously the tank of the party and one of the heavy weights with high melee and green flame damage. Recently though, my character has been doing more than melee cantrips, at level 5 I have four level one slots to use for things like tasha's hideous laughter and sleep. So I end up doing a smidge more casting than I thought I would.

Our group just raided a witch coven library and I was given by the dm 1 4th level slot and 4 3rd level slots under the necromancy spell list. Now obviously I unfortunately can't even begin to cast those unail later fighter levels, I can't even access level 2 wizard spells on my own until level 7.

So my question is this, should I try to multi class into wizard? And what necromancer spells would help me if I did? The development of this character went differently than I thought it would and it's an exciting chance to try something new. Let me know your thoughts and if anyone has tried such a class personally.

Chugger
2017-08-05, 04:09 AM
Nice concept. I had a gnome SK in EQ briefly!

Necro spells for later on? Vampiric embrace touch them and heals you - lvl 3 iirc. Also animate dead (3). For 4 ... um Blight? Hope that helps.

MisterABM
2017-08-05, 06:04 AM
Yes I realize its a bit tough, but I guess I'm just wondering if multi classing would benefit the character. I'd have to drop my greatsword for a longsword to have a free hand for casting which is kind of meh, green flame plus gs gives me 2d6 and a d8 for damage which ends up being a nice roll when I add great weapon master.

Quoxis
2017-08-05, 06:15 AM
Yes I realize its a bit tough, but I guess I'm just wondering if multi classing would benefit the character. I'd have to drop my greatsword for a longsword to have a free hand for casting which is kind of meh, green flame plus gs gives me 2d6 and a d8 for damage which ends up being a nice roll when I add great weapon master.

Afaik two handed weapons don't interfere with somatic spell components, because if you're not in the middle of an attack you can hold it with one hand (see the errata entry on two handed weapons).

GorogIrongut
2017-08-05, 07:59 AM
Afaik two handed weapons don't interfere with somatic spell components, because if you're not in the middle of an attack you can hold it with one hand (see the errata entry on two handed weapons).

Indeed. Which is very different from having one hand occupied by a shield (not easily disengaged) and a weapon in the other which DOES inhibit casting if your DM chooses to enforce that portion of the rules. GW in my opinion is great on a spellcasting melee character like a paladin.