PDA

View Full Version : Arcane trickster

Chugger
2017-08-05, 03:48 AM
I have searched various versions of "dnd 5e arcane trickster guide" and have come up with some a.t. question threads and sparse build threads - but not a full on guide dedicated just to a.t. A.T. is covered okay in one of the full rogue guides here in gitp, but unless I'm blind or something I'm not seeing an actual (dedicated) a.t. guide here. If someone can link me to a good a.t. guide, that would be awesome, thanks.

(edit - I found on this guide that they say that GFB and BB do cause sneak attack to happen - you can skip the next paragraph (unless you think these cantrips don't cause sneak attack to happen!) - also this guide goes into arcane trickster very well, now that I've studied it more - it's pretty good for a.t. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474974-A-Thousand-Lies-and-a-Good-Disguise-A-Rogue-Guide)
If not, I want to make sure I understand some things about going a.t. Let's say I've played up an a.t. to level 5 and I do a surprise attack with Green Flame Blade and rapier. This is a spell - so does it trigger sneak attack? I think it does - the phb says some spells are weapons - so I would think a GFB attack would actually be a sneak and allow the extra damage - but does it? The Rogue section says a sneak attack is an "attack" where I have either surprise or an ally w/in 5' of the target. I'm thinking it should work because it doesn't specify an "Attack action" or a weapon-without-spell or anything like that - it just says plain old attack. And a GFB is - it would seem - an "attack". The Sneak Attack rule seems concerned only with is the rogue surprising or 5' from an ally. (and using a finesse or range weapon, which I'm doing - rapier)

So that would be 1d8 (rapier) + 3d6 (sneak attack) + 4 dex bonus + 1d8 (gfb) to the main target, and 1d8 plus int mod to a second target w/in 5', right? If all hit that would average 23.5 on the main target and 8.5 on a secondary (if int is 18) for 32 total average damage, right?

If that works, is that the best main hand attack please?

If a cantrip like GFB or BB doesn't allow me to apply sneak attack damage, then I'm looking at 2d8 + 4 and maybe 1d8 + int bonus on a secondary target - 13 average damage or 21.5 total if secondary is hit (and int is 18) - which is a lot less. Or if I just stab, 1d8 plus 4 plus 3d6 or 19 damage to one target. Is there anything better?

(edit, I'd still like to know if GFB or BB triggers this feature of War Cleric discussed in the paragraph below, but I just realized you can't sneak attack twice in your turn - meaning a dip in War Cleric doesn't mean the potential burst damage I thought it did - some sort of reaction attack is the only way to double sneak attack in a round - you might find the issue brought up in the below paragraph interesting, though)
Now, let's suppose I'm a.t. lvl 5 but have also dipped once in War Cleric. War cleric says if I use the "Attack action" I can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. If doing Green Flame Blade is casting a spell for my action and not an "Attack action", I guess I couldn't follow up with the War Cleric feature. But doing Green Flame Blade requires me to make a melee attack with a weapon, and if I've made a melee attack with a weapon I've arguably done both for my action - cast a spell and taken an Attack action - I've satisfied the requirements of both. Is there any official ruling on this that anyone knows about, or am I (again) missing something in the phb please? (iirc it says in Attack action that it just has to be an attack like using a sword or shooting an arrow - it doesn't disallow expressly an attack that includes or is included in a spell - while one could argue gfb is a spell action - it incluses using a melee attack and clearly satisfies the conditions of a Attack action - and there is nothing I can find saying an attack can't be both or that if an attack qualifies as a spell it therefore can't be an Attack action - so I am confused).

(and yes I realize an a.t. typically won't have the 13 wis for the dip, but let's pretend the one we're discussing has 14 wis for now and would get 2 uses of it per long rest and is at least considering it)

Okay, whether or not my a.t. can use the War Cleric bonus action attack, it's only twice per long rest (w/ wis 14) and something I'll be saving for "boss fights", so I'm thinking about what else to do with my bonus actions in normal fights. I'm realizing that a cunning action is going to be a smart thing to do in many cases - like disengage and move to cover - or hide. Or use the mage hand to steal something off my enemy! Or tickle him - which won't actually help me til later on, but for role playing.

But if I feel comfortable staying in combat and attempting to use my bonus action to make another attack, I'm wondering what my best options are. I can't find a wiz bonus action spell to cast (clerics get healing word and spiritual weapon, which is a possibility if I want a 3 lvl dip in war cleric - but for now no). If I want to hit with a second weapon, I need to use a pair of short swords (light weapons) unless I go HuV and take the feat, right? I'd get +1 ac off the feat and could use 2 rapiers - and the other feature seems so far a thing DMs don't enforce anyway.

Or I could use a hand xbow, which I could shoot once because I don't have a hand free to reload it. I need the feat Crossbow Expertise to avoid the issue with reloading multiple times in a round (like a fighter with 2 attacks would need it to shoot an xbow twice) and to avoid the close range disad - but as long as I'm not worried about reloading the thing, I can fire it once (and just not use it any more that fight or eat up a round reloading it). Is my assessment of the hand xbow in off-hand right please - or do I actually need the crossbow expertise feat to fire a hand xbow as a bonus action in the first place? Also, (if I can use the hand xbow off-handed - if I have to let's say for a moment I take the feat) could I enter combat with a loaded hand xbow in my off hand - and another loaded one in a holder on my hip or belt - shoot the hand xbow in round one and drop it with a free action - then in round two draw and shoot the loaded hand xbow from my belt or holster in my bonus action?

And is that worth pursuing? I'd have a secondary attack ready if I miss with my primary attack and so might get my sneak attack damage in (or I could take the duel wielder feat to get +1 ac and have a second rapier ready for the same purpose). And a little more damage. Or, if I'm worried about missing with my main hand I could take the Lucky Feat and have 3 chances to fix misses. Any thoughts on which is the better path? Sure, if I felt strongly about role-playing, say, a rogue using a rapier hand xbow combo for some reason - but for right now I just want to understand the consequences of these choices. And are there better paths.

Yes, I haven't even brought up spells yet (except gfb/bb).

Minor Illusion/Silent image. Potentially great, but so far playing some AL games, I've yet to see one DM deal with an illusion even remotely fairly. DMs (going back to ad&d) hate illusions in general - players abuse them - but just making a box to hide in - they either go "well, you have to disbelieve it to see through it" - "So I put little holes in it to see out" - "then they can see you" - "they're 30 feet away and there's a little hold or a slit in a crate illusion - how?" And it's kind of like I get the "I'm just going to outlast you on this until the other players get mad that you're eating up so much time I win, see?" response, which is chickensh*t to the max, but whatever. I've also seen other players try to hide in an illusion box - and after shooting out of it the DM has a monster accurately shoot right back on that round. The player asks how? "It can see you - you shot out." But that's not how the spell works. "Yes it is." The player gives up, sighs - then minutes later the DM - who knows he's lied to the player - covers his *$$ by saying "it made its wisdom roll" - but I was watching and the DM rolled no dice for it and furthermore, disbelieving an illusion eats up a turn as per phb, if I understand it correctly. But ... the DM didn't want him to gain anything from having used a turn to create that box illusion - so that was that. Also if I try using minor illusion to have the captain's voice shout "no men, this way!" or something, I have to pass a performance roll or a deception roll -and my ch will stink - so... bleh....

The upshot is that I'd love to have illusions but they will only ever work if cast between combats as a joke. Then they'll somehow work. They will never work in combat because DMs and decades of bad illusion-vibes-player-abuse and so on. If someone has advice on this, I'd appreciate it. But it really is a DM problem.

Okay, do I take Find Familiar or Shield or some other for my non illusion/ench lvl 1 spell? I love the idea of a little owl (with flyby feature - no AOO) helping me in combat to get advantage, but the DM will kill it. Which means he wasted a round. But it's a pain. Shield is very useful in many situations, especially until I get the dodge - except wait I get uncanny dodge at lvl 5 ... making shield not quite as useful.

Any thoughts on what to take for the non illu/ench spell please? This is discussed on at least one of the guides here in gitp at least to a reasonable extent - and it's good stuff. But if someone has some deeper insight, please tell me.

What about using Sleep to finish off a hurt monster? I notice sleep - which on average knocks out 22.5 hp of monster - it affects "current" hit points. Has anyone tried using it on a hill giant that's hurt just to end the fight and keep it from hurting someone? Is this even a thing? Or a very rare situational thing (cuz most of the time the hurt giant can just be finished off). Anyone have any success/experience doing this please? If you can tell me if you feel it was worth doing or not, that would be great.

My third cantrip - well, I'm going with Mage Hand and GFB probably. Do I do GFB and BB? I can see BB being useful. I BB a monster with no range attack and use a cunning action to disengage and step back x feet. As long as I've stepped out of its reach it must pursue and trigger the bb. I won't always have tightly grouped targets (for gfb). But then I'd get no Light (I may be huv - and yes I know, sneak problems, but not if the mage hand holds the spike I cast the Light on) - no minor illusion (which will never work in combat anyway because DMs) - no message (which is only sometimes useful) - no cold ray or w/e (I'll be using a ranged weapon and not damage cantrips of course, if I have to do a ranged attack). Any thoughts on this please?

Finally on sneaking. I've seen the guide here, and it's pretty good - but my experience w/ AL DMs again has been a certain wariness toward sneaking. Like a group sneak check, sure - you pass - the town guards don't find you. Easy. But if a rogue wants to attack from surprise: "You moved; he sees you." "But I'm stealthed; I rolled a 19." "You _were_ stealthed as long as you remained still there behind the stump. But when you moved it saw you." "But I only moved fifteen feet." "It saw you." But the DM didn't roll - and a roll had been made that the rogue was stealthed so ... okay if I'm stealthed at a doorway and a monster comes through, that's a surprise/sneak attack with adv. Sure. But I'm seeing a whole lot of "if the rogue moves there is no stealth, not even a passive stealth check". Now, are the DMs being thuggish/lazy or something? Or ... what? Any thoughts not so much on the raw phb nature of stealth - but converting a stealthed position into a sneak attack with surprise and advantage, please? Maybe I'm missing the place in the phb that spells it out, but I don't know - I've scanned it back and forth. I've yet to find where or if it covers the specific mechanic of how a rogue who stealths then moves stealthily - and I'll go check yet again. (obviously this isn't like WoW where you stealth and "become invisible" til you attack - but if you dart out of the shadows at a monster that has no idea you were there, I can see it at least being a roll as to whether or not it's surprised - but again "backstabbing" was almost universally not allowed in AD&D because rogues were trying everything they could to get it - and sometimes being abusive - and DMs over the years seem to have a bad vibe on the whole concept. But if I have rules to fight them with (diplomatically of course) ... and the will ... and a table of nice tolerant players. Anyway, any help on this would be great.

Well, that's a ton of stuff - I'll stop here (I have other questions, but I'm exhausted and forgetting them :smallbiggrin:). Thank you if you've made it this far - and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

JohnDaBarr
2017-08-05, 08:58 AM
GFB and BB do cause SA to happen if ofc you meet the SA requirements.

War Cleric bonus attack ability does not work with GFB and BB. (IMO for any type of Rogue Trickery domain Cleric is probably the best option. Especially, of dem nice domain spells.)

Crossbow Expert is always good especially if you MC into Cleric so you can go around with a Shield and Hand Crossbow.

Spell Shield is usually not good on classes that have low number of spell slots and you need those slots for other stuff, but it can be a life saver.

Stealth is indeed not invisibility and it indeed needs to be used with high amount of improvisation, unless one is a Lightfoot Hafling in with case laws of physics don't apply to you in an even greater degree than it is the case for plain Rogues.

Finally I don't even wanna touch how different DMs see and rule on different illusions and checks, it's your DM you talk to him.

Specter
2017-08-05, 09:18 AM
BB/GFB do apply to sneak.

You want Booming Blade before Gfb. Using disengage as a bonus action, you can force them to move to attack you and then take damage.

War Cleric is not worth it as far as damage goes - unless you want something else from it. If you want to attack with your bonus action, you can go dual-wield or Xbow Xpert, but BB will usually deal more damage than those.

Sleep becomes obsolete very fast - you can take it, but know when to leave it. Save spells like Tasha's become much more interesting after level 9 with Magical Ambush.

Find Familiar is a can't-go-wrong spell: scouting out of combat, advantage in it. But Shield (for AC) and Fog Cloud (for obscurement) are good ones too.

(Man, I really need to finish my AT guide!)

Finieous
2017-08-05, 09:37 AM
To add to what others have already said, you can't use any bonus-action attack with the cantrips (BB/GFB) that require you to take the Attack action, since you are taking the Cast a Spell action. This includes War Priest and two-weapon fighting.

This is why find familiar and the owl is important to your damage. You can make one attack and still get two dice rolls to land your sneak attack. The only thing you're missing compared to two-weapon fighting is offhand damage (with no Dex bonus), and the attack cantrips fully offset that at 5th level even with no "rider" damage (movement for BB, second target for GFB).

As you say, you can only sneak attack once on your turn. But you can also sneak attack on someone else's turn if you have a way to make an attack. The most basic example is an attack of opportunity. But another possibility for arcane tricksters is haste: You use your hasted action to attack and your standard action to Ready an attack (perhaps triggered by your opponent or a comrade acting). Note that this also does not work with the cantrips: the hasted action can't be used to take either the Cast a Spell or Ready action.

As for multiclassing, consider bladesinger wizard. You probably have a decent Intelligence anyway for your AT, and this will get you a greatly expanded spell selection. I prefer BS 5/AT 15 if you want to be primarily a rogue. Bladesinger gets Extra Attack at 6th level, but I'm not a big fan. Again, it doesn't work with the attack cantrips, and it also doesn't work with haste to produce extra sneak attacks.

Chugger
2017-08-05, 04:36 PM
Thanks much for the advice!

I'm guessing if I pick huV xbow expertise that will kind of commit me to being a ranged a.t. - but if I go huV Lucky (to 'fix' misses) I'm more committed to melee and bb/gfb. I'm going to calc out the expected damage at higher levels, but it looks like they both scale. The thing is that xbow exp might be a tad behind but always consistent, meaning that a BB on a Gnoll = a Gnoll who switches to his ranged weapon that round - and not every encounter is going to have monsters w/in 5' of each other.

(I'm kind of surprised how xbow exp and firing a hand bow twice kind of works out nicely. I'm realizing I wouldn't even need 2 hand xbows (and if I had 2 one would have to stay in the backpack anyway) - basically shoot as attack option, use free hand to reload, put in off-hand (free action) and shoot, use main hand to reload and be ready for next round. If I get a hardcore DM and I can't use another free action to put it back in main hand for next round, then I just "go backwards" next round and use my bonus action first and shoot, reload and put in main hand, shoot my Attack action, and reload, right? Anyway, going SS at lvl 8 or 10 is tempting - SS and xbow exp is a great combo - but that -5 fighting high AC monsters is a drag - I think Fighters really make the best SS users cuz they get more ASI, have +2 to ranged, can get Precision through BM, and could get Lucky to try to "fix" misses - and from what I'm seeing Rogue's sneak attack scales up well - and just consistently landing the sneak attack may be what I should focus on)

Oh, if I have advantage but miss on both, I can still do Lucky, right? I've looked at it, and it seems we can.

Understood about War Cleric not really working - at best that would be a non-cantrip sneak attack and then the war-thing for a plain no-frills bonus attack (i.e. not enough to justify). Light Cleric seems like an interesting 1-dip in that you get Faerie Fire. Some DMs kill off familiars and it's a long cast to bring it back, so having other ways to get adv might be good (but FF eats up a whole round). And FF helps the whole party, could hit several targets, and helps against darkness. And the LC's "eye laser" to cause a disad to an attacker is not awful (and I'd have a free light cantrip). Trickery seems to have no limit on his stealth blessing, save that it can only be on someone other than him/her - and can only be on one person at a time - but one of you is interested in Trickster spells for a dip, which is a consideration (or a 2 dip in trickery for the "double" which grants advantage). I'm gonna try to break these up. I tend to make long posts, but I have more questions. Thanks again everyone for the help!

Chugger
2017-08-05, 04:56 PM
I'm wondering would some other multi dip really be worth it. I think I want to mainly be rogue - want to get that thing where I use the mage hand to get advantage asap.

Any 1 dip into cleric lets me use a shield, so I could go bb/gfb and Lucky for my main attack and have better ac. Bless is available from any cleric, which is great - also the +2 ac spell.

A 3 dip into land druid might yield some cool spell combos like blur/silence or invis/pass w/out trace. But that's a signifcant delay on rogue stuff. Also studded leather has metal in it - which may be a prob w/ going multi into druid (no metal armor - and I can't step up to hide armor - it would chop off my high dex add to ac). Druid allows shield.

If I had 14 cha instead of 14 wis I could go for a 2-dip into Lock and get Devil's Sight, Hex, and all sorts of other crazy stuff. I could pick darkness as my lvl 2 AT spell or go Drow (but only have it once a day). Not sure if the whole fighting in darkness thing is always gonna work, anyway - never tried it - any small room fighting = makes the whole party blind which is not good. The invos are pretty amazing - disguise self, silent image, false life at will. Hex doesn't seem to scale up very well (locked at 1d6) and I can at most get 2 attacks a round if I go xbow exp (or dual wield - but it doesn't work w/ cantrips and seems to be sub-standard).

If I put 14 into Str a 3 dip into fighter would get BM and all sorts of good stuff (Precision, Riposte and Tripping Attack stand out).

I can't see much adv from going AT/sorc. I'm sure some meta-magic stuff would be cool but not nec. worth the price - unlike going sorcadin or other sorlock where meta can be amazing.

Any thoughts pls?

Gignere
2017-08-05, 08:03 PM
I'm wondering would some other multi dip really be worth it. I think I want to mainly be rogue - want to get that thing where I use the mage hand to get advantage asap.

Any 1 dip into cleric lets me use a shield, so I could go bb/gfb and Lucky for my main attack and have better ac. Bless is available from any cleric, which is great - also the +2 ac spell.

A 3 dip into land druid might yield some cool spell combos like blur/silence or invis/pass w/out trace. But that's a signifcant delay on rogue stuff. Also studded leather has metal in it - which may be a prob w/ going multi into druid (no metal armor - and I can't step up to hide armor - it would chop off my high dex add to ac). Druid allows shield.

If I had 14 cha instead of 14 wis I could go for a 2-dip into Lock and get Devil's Sight, Hex, and all sorts of other crazy stuff. I could pick darkness as my lvl 2 AT spell or go Drow (but only have it once a day). Not sure if the whole fighting in darkness thing is always gonna work, anyway - never tried it - any small room fighting = makes the whole party blind which is not good. The invos are pretty amazing - disguise self, silent image, false life at will. Hex doesn't seem to scale up very well (locked at 1d6) and I can at most get 2 attacks a round if I go xbow exp (or dual wield - but it doesn't work w/ cantrips and seems to be sub-standard).

If I put 14 into Str a 3 dip into fighter would get BM and all sorts of good stuff (Precision, Riposte and Tripping Attack stand out).

I can't see much adv from going AT/sorc. I'm sure some meta-magic stuff would be cool but not nec. worth the price - unlike going sorcadin or other sorlock where meta can be amazing.

Any thoughts pls?

If you're dipping lock go for 3, this way you have two darkness that recharges on a short rest. You can also pick up a choice of suped up familiar, a better weapon, a regular familiar plus rituals.

Chugger
2017-08-06, 02:57 AM
If you're dipping lock go for 3, this way you have two darkness that recharges on a short rest. You can also pick up a choice of suped up familiar, a better weapon, a regular familiar plus rituals.

Good points. TY!

Specter
2017-08-06, 08:30 AM

Bard 3 - Inspiration, much better spells, jack of all trades and more expertise.

Druid 3 - great spells, wild shape (very good for sneaking/setting off traps), plus short rest spell recharge and misty step/mirror image if you go Coast.

Fighter 3 - a fighting style (essential for crossbow, very good for melee), minor healing, action surge and Eldritch Knight spells/spell slots.

Ranger 3 - fighting style, wilderness skillset, spells like hunter's mark/hail of thorns and horde breaker/colossus slayer for added damage.

Sorcerer 3 - some bonus features depending on your origin, great spells and metamaguc (I strongly recommend Subtle to cast Mage Hand all the time without anyone noticing - much room for shenanigans).

Chugger
2017-08-06, 03:01 PM
Bard 3 - Inspiration, much better spells, jack of all trades and more expertise.

Druid 3 - great spells, wild shape (very good for sneaking/setting off traps), plus short rest spell recharge and misty step/mirror image if you go Coast.

Fighter 3 - a fighting style (essential for crossbow, very good for melee), minor healing, action surge and Eldritch Knight spells/spell slots.

Ranger 3 - fighting style, wilderness skillset, spells like hunter's mark/hail of thorns and horde breaker/colossus slayer for added damage.

Sorcerer 3 - some bonus features depending on your origin, great spells and metamaguc (I strongly recommend Subtle to cast Mage Hand all the time without anyone noticing - much room for shenanigans).

Thanks! All good stuff to consider. Have to stop calculating and just make a choice and play though! (that's directed at me - I've been over-analyzing this lately)

Is rapier in main hand and GFB or BB the "best" attack for a lvl 5 A.T. up? With maybe Lucky as "miss insurance"?

Biggstick
2017-08-07, 12:13 AM
What exactly are you wanting to multiclass for? You've said all these things and not stated what it is exactly you're looking to gain out of this multiclass.

Side-note, if you're planning on using this character in AL, I wouldn't recommend basing your character off of Illusions. It's just easier to not be at the mercy of the DM.

Optimization choices for your AT spells, I'd go with Disguise Self and Find Familiar (the third one isn't as important). You can always make yourself look like someone wearing Plate armor (someone who wouldn't be targeted by most martial attacks in many cases), or simply get creative with what you want to look like. And Find Familiar is always going to be useful. I'd choose BB, Message, and obviously Mage Hand for my cantrips. Being able to communicate with Message is extremely useful, and you'll find plenty of opportunities to use such a spell.

Back to the original point, without knowing what you'd actually like to gain from the multiclass, it's hard for the people here to really give you something concrete that fills the niche you're looking for. If you're looking to amplify the spell casting capability of your AT in the most accepted/optimized way, you're best bet is going with 2-3 levels of Wizard. Two levels will net you a school, while a third will get you second level spells. Either set-up gets you a spell book in which you can fill with spells, and nabs you three more cantrips (Prestidigitation and GFB would be choices I consider). These 2-3 Wizard levels will also drastically increase your spell slots available, allowing you to use spells a bit more freely then the typical AT.

Other accepted options to increase your spell casting capability on a normal AT (but a bit less optimized then the Wizard) is going with 1-3 Sorcerer (Draconic), 1- 3 Warlock, or 1-3 Cleric (Trickery/Arcana/War) levels. The Sorcerer and Warlock levels grant you some amazing caster benefits, and more potential offensive cantrips. The Cleric levels grant you more defensive option (shield and medium armor) and utility/ritual spells and cantrips.

If you were looking to primarily increase your martial capabilities, Fighter and Ranger for 5-6 levels both have merit and plenty that can be said for them. I won't spend too much time on them, but if you're looking to primarily increase your damage output, you should be looking to grab at least 5 levels of a class with two attacks.