PDA

View Full Version : Poor Lien!

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-08-09, 03:16 PM
Being left behind like that, and having to face all the gobbos herself!

... It must really suck to be her right now! :smallfrown:

Raltar
2007-08-09, 03:18 PM
I'm sure she could catch up fairly quickly on her shark mount...if she would take action and stop gawking at the ship as it sails away.

holywhippet
2007-08-09, 03:20 PM
I don't see the problem actually. She is riding a shark after all so presumably she could just chase after them or at least head to somewhere safe.

Porthos
2007-08-09, 03:32 PM

I agree. :smallfrown: If she had someway of catching up to the junk, then maybe things would look a bit better for her! :smallyuk:

Green Bean
2007-08-09, 03:41 PM
I agree. :smallfrown: If she had someway of catching up to the junk, then maybe things would look a bit better for her! :smallyuk:

Now you're just talking crazy! :smallamused:

Yeril
2007-08-09, 03:44 PM
Unless shes waiting behind to give somone a ride on her shark :o

:belkar: :haley:

Morty
2007-08-09, 03:45 PM
She's a paladin. There're already too many of them:smalltongue: That, and everyone who chooses shark as paladin mount deserve to die anyway. Painfully.

Spiryt
2007-08-09, 03:49 PM
Unless shes waiting behind to give somone a ride on her shark :o

:belkar: :haley:

This is pretty obvious solution, but probably anyway need SPOILER.

Svethnika
2007-08-09, 03:52 PM
Well we could always compare the speed of the shark mount to the speed of the ship. Dunno what the shark speed is but the ship is probably a sailing ship or a long ship so its speed would be the wind speed times 20 ft or times 10 feet for the long ship. Does that implying the ship moves faster than the wind?? So if the wind is 10 feet over six seconds, the ship would travel 100ft? I'm just reading from the arms and equipment guide. Depends if the shark could beat that I guess, maybe if you can sprint underwater, I dunno. Anyone certain about that stuff?

RAGE KING!
2007-08-09, 03:54 PM
oooooooooh....

assuming shes level 8 if her shark takes a run action it will go at 280 feet per round.

if she isnt, it would still go at 240 feet per round.

whereas a junk's base move is 13.2 feet per round. (with light wind, but even with strong winds its still only 39.6 feet per round)

elliott20
2007-08-09, 03:54 PM
a normal shark as RAW has a movement rate of 60, which means it's going roughly 1 mile per hour if it were just to go at casual speed. If she hustles, she can double that, going at 2 miles per hour.

assuming the thing is a galley, she should have no problem catching up if she wants to.

lokycat
2007-08-09, 03:56 PM
I think she can catch up on her shark mount.

I dont feel bad for her, I feel bad for the rest of the party being left behind by Hinjo's Junk...especially feel bad for Roy who is dead and with an arrow in HIS "junk".:smallamused:
I just wanted to make a junk pawn:smallbiggrin:

David Argall
2007-08-09, 04:17 PM
Now we might ask just why she is being left behind. There is no good reason she can't keep up with the ship, indeed, swim circles around it. It could be pretty much meaningless. She knows she can catch up, so she stands rear guard to make sure there is no pursuit [Perhaps rash, but Hinjo has already shown us paladins are rash.] And she will catch up in a few rounds.

Alternately, there is a plot hook here. It has been suggested that Lien may provide a ride to the ship. Another idea is that Haley and Belkar rescue her after she gets captured. Of course, we need to work out how she gets captured, and just why Redcloud doesn't just kill her on the spot, but those are not impossible problems.

Athanatos
2007-08-09, 04:26 PM
a normal shark as RAW has a movement rate of 60, which means it's going roughly 1 mile per hour if it were just to go at casual speed. If she hustles, she can double that, going at 2 miles per hour. .

How do you figure? 60 feet / 6 seconds = 10 feet per second.

10 feet per seconds * 3600 seconds per hour = 36000 feet per hour

36000 feet per hour / 5280 feet per mile = 6.82 miles per hour

Which is kinda a higher number than 1.

LordVader
2007-08-09, 04:27 PM
If she and the shark book it, she can definitely catch up to the ship, or at the very least avoid the gobbos until Elan can get the captain to slow down for her to catch up.

MR.PIXIE
2007-08-09, 04:27 PM
HEY!! she can intagonise the hobbo's into coming after her, & have her shark eat them all. that way :belkar:&:haley: can come bake safe to ride back to the junk.

Leliel
2007-08-09, 09:05 PM
Er, in case you haven't noticed, Lien has a shark mount. I may be wrong, but can't sharks, you know swim?

Kjata
2007-08-09, 09:16 PM
Yea seriously. This thread is pointless.

Krytha
2007-08-09, 10:02 PM
2 miles an hour? Is Lien's mount old and infirm or something? It's a SHARK! And why is she still just sitting on it waiting to get blasted? Because she's totally going to get blasted.

Alex Warlorn
2007-08-09, 10:04 PM
She's a paladin. There're already too many of them:smalltongue: That, and everyone who chooses shark as paladin mount deserve to die anyway. Painfully.

I think you agree with Redcloak that they should all just vanish.

And I think only the fiend octopus agrees with you right now that she should die horribly.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-09, 10:54 PM
a normal shark as RAW has a movement rate of 60, which means it's going roughly 1 mile per hour if it were just to go at casual speed. If she hustles, she can double that, going at 2 miles per hour.

assuming the thing is a galley, she should have no problem catching up if she wants to.

they state its a junk, they spend almost an entire strip saying its a junk!

if lien is level 8, her shark is granted +10 move speed

John Campbell
2007-08-10, 12:38 AM

Wait, what? I'd pay to be in the spot she's in now. It's been ages since I got to use Cleave...

(Come here, my pretty little chunks of XP....)

Defiled_Knight
2007-08-10, 07:11 AM
maybe Lien will fight all the hobbos and look for :haley: and :belkar:
or maybe she will flee and run back to the ship and then maybe just maybe haley will use :roy: 's corpse as a float :p

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-10, 07:29 AM
OK, basing this on observations while serving in the Navy, and several years surfing in Hawaii, I will say that in regards to shark swimming speed:

THE FREAKIN' SHARK CAN SWIM CIRCLES AROUND HINJO'S JUNK!!!!!

Seriously. Sharks are fast. VERY FAST. Lien will have absolutely NO problem catching up with the boat, with or without passengers.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-10, 09:50 AM
we've already established that with the "liens move speed is about 8x the junks" thing.

Edit: Thats without taking a run action.

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-08-10, 10:03 AM
Guys, guys.. and girls! Settle!

It's not about whether or not she can get back to the ship: it's about being abondoned by her own teammates like that. And having to fight all the hobbos on her own.

Just look at the expression at he face, that pretty much describes it.

chibibar
2007-08-10, 10:37 AM
I highly doubt Lien feels that she is being abandon. First and foremost the captain has express that Hinjo's safety is number one priority. I'm sure Lien just saw that Hinjo got hit (assuming) by a spell from Redcloak. I'm sure she is aware that Hinjo is hurt and need to be taken to safety.

Also, as a Paladin, there seem to be a pattern that other's safety comes first and foremost before anything else. Lien probably would be more than happy to ensure the ship got away.

Edit: Since this is suppose to be a "representation" of the Samurai in Asian Culture (note I didn't say Japan hehe) the Samurai serve their master to the fullest even it will mean their life. They won't feel abandon in the same situation.

EyethatBinds
2007-08-10, 11:34 AM
I think we can all agree that math and analysis are really what's needed here. So as almost everyone here is aware the formula for calculating the potential speed of any sail boat is 4x[squared]-1/8y1.2=S where x=sail area, y=the hull's volume under the water, and S is the sailboat's highest speed potential.
And since we all know that the blue sharks are one of the fastest sharks in existence and can travel at speeds up to 60mph. We now only need to determine exactly how big the sails are and how far under the water the ship is. Once we have done this we'll know exactly how many rounds it will take Lien to catch up to Hinjo's junk.
Does anyone have any height comparisons for the cast so we can estimate the sail size?

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-08-10, 11:39 AM
"I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers!"
- Seto Kaiba

chibibar
2007-08-10, 11:56 AM
I think we can all agree that math and analysis are really what's needed here. So as almost everyone here is aware the formula for calculating the potential speed of any sail boat is 4x[squared]-1/8y1.2=S where x=sail area, y=the hull's volume under the water, and S is the sailboat's highest speed potential.
And since we all know that the blue sharks are one of the fastest sharks in existence and can travel at speeds up to 60mph. We now only need to determine exactly how big the sails are and how far under the water the ship is. Once we have done this we'll know exactly how many rounds it will take Lien to catch up to Hinjo's junk.
Does anyone have any height comparisons for the cast so we can estimate the sail size?

true... but no math can beat the power of PLOT! ;)

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-10, 12:23 PM
maybe Lien will fight all the hobbos and look for :haley: and :belkar:
or maybe she will flee and run back to the ship and then maybe just maybe haley will use :roy: 's corpse as a float :p

Blinkin' blazes! I... don't think that's practical for her at this point. Sure, death before dishonor, Bushido, glorious death against stupendous odds...

But will it really serve the greater good if she threw her life away battling a horde of hobgoblins with undead and cleric support, especially with the support of their Supreme Leader? I think not.

Leliel
2007-08-10, 02:52 PM
Guys, guys.. and girls! Settle!

It's not about whether or not she can get back to the ship: it's about being abondoned by her own teammates like that. And having to fight all the hobbos on her own.

Um...I think its occured to her that it would just waste time getting on the boat when she can catch up. And I think she was shocked at seeing Hinjo Disentigrated(from what I can tell, she's attracted to him).

Recursive
2007-08-10, 03:38 PM
But she doesn't have to fight anyone on her own.

Lien was fighting the hobgoblins on the dock in order to defend the ship. Now that the ship doesn't need defending, she has no reason to fight the crowd on the dock at all...unless she plans to retake the city single-handedly. And Lien does not seem like the type to confuse honor with stupidity.

chibibar
2007-08-10, 03:40 PM

Lien was fighting the hobgoblins on the dock in order to defend the ship. Now that the ship doesn't need defending, she has no reason to fight the crowd on the dock at all...unless she plans to retake the city single-handedly. And Lien does not seem like the type to confuse honor with stupidity.

that is true. Also Redcloak already stated that he is not going to waste their resources on that shark. So Lien is safe for now and now she can rejoin the ship.

Recursive
2007-08-10, 03:49 PM
OK, basing this on observations while serving in the Navy, and several years surfing in Hawaii, I will say that in regards to shark swimming speed:

THE FREAKIN' SHARK CAN SWIM CIRCLES AROUND HINJO'S JUNK!!!!!

Now there's an interesting image...

Durkon: Cure light wounds. Thar, that's tha last of my healing spells. I can finish the job in tha morn.

Hinjo: Then that's one more I owe you, friend. Now let's turn this ship around; I have a score to settle with that cleric.

Durkon: Ach, no! Yer still a mess, lad! You've got contusions, sprains, a nasty concussion, three disintegrated ribs...

Hinjo: I've fought with worse. Anything else I should know about, though?

Durkon: Erm...well, lad, there are circles around yer junk.

Elan: We think Lien's shark put them there.

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-08-10, 04:45 PM

Oh yeah, and those goblins, with Redcloak in their midst, are just gonna let her swim away!

No, let's face it; she's pretty much screwed!

Unless Haley and Belkar comes to help her. But even then; Belkar won't be able to fight (with Roy dead and Hinjo rapidly leaving), and Haley can't have many arrows left...

Recursive
2007-08-10, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah, and those goblins, with Redcloak in their midst, are just gonna let her swim away!
Um...yes?

Or more to the point, they can't really stop her. They're on the dock, and Lien's got an unobstructed path to the open sea.

I'm just not seeing that.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-10, 07:55 PM
i agree with recursive.

- theres no reason shes screwed. Even if some archers have higher initiative and hit her, she can go at least 240 feet next round.

Quezovercoatl
2007-08-13, 11:39 AM

There is sod all that Redcloak can do, he has used up most of his spells and the other cleric is much lower level. Sure there are a few archers but she is at full HP or near enough that it makes no difference, unless they all have arrows of slaying or arrows of disintegration they have next to no chance of doing any damage worth mentioning.

Please elaborate.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-13, 12:14 PM

Unless Haley and Belkar comes to help her. But even then; Belkar won't be able to fight (with Roy dead and Hinjo rapidly leaving), and Haley can't have many arrows left...

Lein takes a deep breath, and dives no more than four feet below the surface of the water. No arrow will reach her. Razor swims whatever direction Lein sends him (her?)

She'll be fine.

Regneva
2007-08-13, 04:50 PM

Why do you want her dead so much?

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-08-13, 06:06 PM
Heh, yeah, I guess It might sound kinda bloodthirsty :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

But, well, it just seems like something that is prone to happen.

Sorry for breathing =p