PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying James Bond: Agent of Breland

logic_error
2017-08-05, 07:33 AM
What would that build be?

I guess the base class is a Rogue. We need access to UMD, a spymaster (Lantern head, M) and an Artificer (Q).

What skills and feats and signature weapons would you say would fit?

khadgar567
2017-08-05, 08:52 AM
What would that build be?

I guess the base class is a Rogue. We need access to UMD, a spymaster (Lantern head, M) and an Artificer (Q).

What skills and feats and signature weapons would you say would fit?

kinda cheatty but he will be operative from starfinder with tailored pheromones bioware i dont know what his remaining build would be but he probably has daredevil as theme

mabriss lethe
2017-08-05, 01:05 PM
signature weapon would have to be hand crossbow followed by unarmed strikes. maybe a monk dip +carmindine monk to improve unarmed combat and switch appropriate mod to int instead of wis. It would also improve general durability.

Afgncaap5
2017-08-05, 01:43 PM
This might change a bit depending on whether you're going for the books or the movies (and if movies, which actor you want.)

Since this is a Rogue in Eberron, you might be able to swap out the hand crossbow for an Eternal Wand if you reliably make UMD checks. I also recommend skill tricks, particularly some of the social skill tricks for not blowing a cover and things like that.

Extreme Explorer might be worth a look, too. While I generally don't care for it mechanically, it *does* add some of those more cinematic "gotta give it my all, put everything on the line" moments.

The Viscount
2017-08-05, 02:33 PM
In terms of weapons there are I think two means of decently replicating the old Walther PPK.

First would be a wand of something like Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, or Electric Jolt. As cantrips, they make for cheap wands, and you can apply sneak attack to them.

Second would be good old hand crossbow with the rapid reload feat, or just the quickloading property.

For skills, Dead Levels II introduced an alternate skill use for Bluff, seduce to learn secret. That's perfect for how Bond learns from all the women he encounters. You can talk to your DM about whether you have to take the 4 levels of swashbuckler for it.

Citadel Elite is a very cool general purpose class, and is Breland focused. Dark Lantern is a little more focused in skullduggery, but still strongly linked. You might actually get some use from the Spymaster class.

Had you decided on race? Changelings make for excellent spies, especially with persona immersion, and changeling rogue is one of the best racial sub levels in the game.

logic_error
2017-08-05, 03:48 PM
I guess the race got to be Human. Citadel elite seems to be a bodyguard class than the agent class from its theme. Web additions are off, I am afraid, so the amazing bluff skill trick is out. That is a pity because it fits *really* well. I guess diplomacy has to shoulder that burden then, combined with a bluff.

Anyway, any feat suggestions?

The Viscount
2017-08-05, 06:00 PM
There's a lot of feats related to action points if you're using them in your game, like action boost or action surge, that do a good job representing that mix of luck and competence.

logic_error
2017-08-05, 07:42 PM
There's a lot of feats related to action points if you're using them in your game, like action boost or action surge, that do a good job representing that mix of luck and competence.

Hmm. But the use of action points is pretty limited. The ones you get per level are already more than enough. The feats are good but otherwise very situational.

Afgncaap5
2017-08-06, 01:16 AM
Hmm. But the use of action points is pretty limited. The ones you get per level are already more than enough. The feats are good but otherwise very situational.

I don't have the personal experience to back this up, but I've heard from friends that action point feats are kinda like luck feats in that just dabbling with them is a worse choice than using them a lot. (That makes little sense to me since luck feats give bonus luck rerolls and action point feats don't give bonus action points, but like I said this is all second hand.)

Prime32
2017-08-06, 01:33 PM
Take the Silver Tongue feat. It lets you use Diplomacy to seduce people or to change their attitude towards someone other than yourself.

Maybe some levels in Exemplar so that you can impress people by showing off your skills, though that's only available at lv15+. Other possible PrCs include Assassin, Nightsong Infiltrator, Ninja of the Crescent Moon (5 levels or fewer), and Trapsmith.

Leadership lets you pick up an artificer cohort.

The equivalent of a cool car is a cool mount. Whenever he uses a horse, it will always be a ridiculously expensive magebred one, and equipped with magic horseshoes that let it run on water (but have their auras masked by a nondetection spell). Maybe the horse is even awakened, but ordered to play dumb.

Should also have a magic item that lets him cast spymaster's coin from Complete Scoundrel.

barakaka
2017-08-06, 09:49 PM
I'd say he's had dealings with Lyrandar enough to get a tricked out skycoach whenever he asks.

atemu1234
2017-08-07, 11:35 AM
Take the Silver Tongue feat. It lets you use Diplomacy to seduce people or to change their attitude towards someone other than yourself.

Maybe some levels in Exemplar so that you can impress people by showing off your skills, though that's only available at lv15+. Other possible PrCs include Assassin, Nightsong Infiltrator, Ninja of the Crescent Moon (5 levels or fewer), and Trapsmith.

Leadership lets you pick up an artificer cohort.

The equivalent of a cool car is a cool mount. Whenever he uses a horse, it will always be a ridiculously expensive magebred one, and equipped with magic horseshoes that let it run on water (but have their auras masked by a nondetection spell). Maybe the horse is even awakened, but ordered to play dumb.

Should also have a magic item that lets him cast spymaster's coin from Complete Scoundrel.

Sources, if you can?

Afgncaap5
2017-08-07, 04:14 PM
I'd say he's had dealings with Lyrandar enough to get a tricked out skycoach whenever he asks.

I'm realizing that this thread doubles as a way to create James West, who's arguably an even better fit for Eberron.

logic_error
2017-08-07, 05:07 PM
I'm realizing that this thread doubles as a way to create James West, who's arguably an even better fit for Eberron.

Jim West is James Bond of the Civil war era. So no surprise there. But I agree the steampunk setting helps enormously.

Stoic
2017-08-07, 08:46 PM
Sources, if you can?

Silver Tongue feat is from Oriental Adventures, it let's you use the Diplomacy skill (trained or untrained) to cause one of 4 effects (one of which is Inspire love and devotion).

Exemplar and Nightsong Infiltrator are both from Complete Adventurer, Assassin is in the SRD, Ninja of the Crescent Moon is from Sword and Fist (Ninja of the CM also has an epic level web enhancement on the Wizards website), Trapsmith is from Dungeonscape and also has an online article.

Ninja of the Crescent Moon
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020706a

Trapsmith
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070515