PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Which is better to do first, max out spell casting or not be so squishy?

ChampionWiggles
2017-08-05, 08:17 AM
Making a Lore bard starting at lvl 5 and am having some trouble deciding how to dish out my ability scores. We're using the standard array and I'm playing a normal Tiefling. Right now, I'm thinking of having the stats be like this:

STR: 8
DEX: 15
CON: 13
INT: 11 (10 +1 racial)
WIS: 12
CHA: 16 (14 +2 racial)

I'm wondering if this is a good spread, along with which stats to increase with the lvl 4 ASI. I know that maxing out your spellcasting ability modifier is vital for casters, but I also wonder if I should round off DEX and CON first and have a little more survivability with that first ASI. Some insight would be much appreciated.

Elminster298
2017-08-05, 08:50 AM
Making a Lore bard starting at lvl 5 and am having some trouble deciding how to dish out my ability scores. We're using the standard array and I'm playing a normal Tiefling. Right now, I'm thinking of having the stats be like this:

STR: 8
DEX: 15
CON: 13
INT: 11 (10 +1 racial)
WIS: 12
CHA: 16 (14 +2 racial)

I'm wondering if this is a good spread, along with which stats to increase with the lvl 4 ASI. I know that maxing out your spellcasting ability modifier is vital for casters, but I also wonder if I should round off DEX and CON first and have a little more survivability with that first ASI. Some insight would be much appreciated.

Great part of starting at 5th lvl is you don't have to choose between the two options. Just rearrange your starting scores as such:

Str- 8
Dex- 13
Con- 14
Int- 11(10+1 racial)
Wis- 12
Cha- 17(15+2 racial)

Lvl 4 asi would go to +1 dex/+1 cha to balance out your scores.

Falcon X
2017-08-05, 08:58 AM
If you're a lord Bard and getting stabbed, I would say you are doing it wrong. Use those spells to avoid danger and it will be like having high HP and AC.

nickl_2000
2017-08-05, 09:01 AM
If you want to be less squishy consist changing your Dex to be 8 and your strength to be 13 them dip into fighter or cleric for a level to hey heavy armor and a shield. Your AC will be much higher that way

jaappleton
2017-08-05, 09:07 AM
One of the best spells you can lift with Magical Secrets is Shield. Alternatively, there's several other defensive oriented spells to grab, though some require varying degrees of Concentration:

Blur
Mirror Image
Blink

All of those can help you stay alive significantly longer. Remember, the best way to stay alive is to not get hit.